Sunday 31 August 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Five - Part One



Resolution

DAHLIA 


I got up early, excited and had a shower. It felt like Christmas morning.

When I was drying myself I paused to examine my reflection, skimming my fingers down my tummy and up the backs of my arms. Had I put on weight? I couldn't be sure. Not noticeably. And what was that quiver inside me - what emotional bump had that been? Disappointment?

I didn't want to be fat. That would be awful. But I did wish I could have something like a magic mirror with a nob on the side so that when I turned the nod I got fatter or thinner. I didn't know why, but the idea of being fatter, just for a while, seemed so magical.

"I wouldn't want to be like that all my life though."

Nevertheless, with my little swap in mind, it was a little disappointing to still be as slim as had always been.

However it didn't matter. I had a plan to counter that.

I went back to my bedroom and took out a black swimming costume from my drawers along with some towels and some tops. I stripped and put it on up to the waist, then I carefully inserted a folded up towel down the front so that it bulked out my tummy. It was fairly subtle but it definitely made me look fatter.

Running my hands round it made me smile.

I reached for another towel, planning to insert it in the back to make my bum look bigger, the tops were going to bulk out the size of my breasts. But I thought about Melissa and my cheeks coloured, even though I was alone. She couldn't help being as fat as she was. How would see feel if she turned up and I was prancing about making myself look fatter?

I eyed the other items and decided to cut my losses there. It was enough to make me look a bit thicker round the middle and certainly enough to make me feel fatter. It would have to do for now.

I pulled the straps of the costume up over my shoulders and went back to the mirror, rubbing my new distended belly with a warm feeling of contentment. I put on a robe over the top, enjoying the difference I could see. Would Melissa notice? It wasn't glaring. Maybe she would; maybe she wouldn't. I secretly wanted her to though; I don't know quite why.

Carefully, I got my other purchases ready, laying them on the bed, nervous as to Melissa's reaction when she saw them, but telling myself it didn't matter. I was doing what I wanted to do. She was going to be laid to lounge around. She didn't have anything to complain about.

I wished she would hurry up. I couldn't wait to get started, but there was still half an hour to go before she was due. I wondered if I should have offered to pick her up... But that was silly. I could wait half an hour.

One thing I wanted to avoid at any cost was being interrupted again. I was taking this further than before and someone arriving unexpectedly was the last thing I needed.  My brother was unlikely to call again so soon after last time and Tommy always rang ahead. I didn't see much of anyone else. I hadn't cultivated any real friends since moving back to Nockton Vale. Katherine, my assistant, was the only risk of an unexpected visit. I decided to head her off at the pass.

I found my phone and dialled her number.

"Good morning Dahlia," she said. "I didn't think it was possible for you to get up before eleven. There must be something very wrong."

"Not at all," I said. "I was just calling to say not to bother calling round for a while."

"Are you alright?"

"Of course. I'm just trying a new series of meditation techniques and want to keep interruptions down to a minimum. Do you mind?"

"No... No, I don't mind. Why would I? I've got better things to do with myself than wait on you hand and foot anyway."

I laughed. "I'm glad to know that your sense of humour is still intact."

"I need a finely-honed sense of humour working for you dear."

I smiled; then I considered my brother's visit and my face clouded. "Katherine... Have you spoken to my brother recently?"

The hesitation on the other end of the line said it all before she spoke. "Possibly."

"We'll do me a favour and don't. He's controlling enough already without hearing your potted theories to encourage him."

"We'll pardon me for my concern," replied Katherine. "I'm making a note right now to care less from now on."

"You don't have to be like--"

"Hang on. I'm still writing... Don't care about Dahlia. She isn't worth it and is ungrateful anyway."

"Har har. Very funny."

"Well how would you cope without me here to amuse you?"

"I think I'd find some way to manage," I replied. "Anyway, so you've got the message about not popping round...?"

"Indeed; and I feel neither offended nor suspicious."

"Good," I said, "because you shouldn't."

"Be what?" asked Katherine. "Offended or suspicious?"

"Either. I just need some time for myself; that's all."

"Alright dear. You don't have to tell me twice. Shall I cancel that useless cleaner of yours as well?"

"No." I caught my own emphasis on my lips. "No thank you Katherine. No. She doesn't bother me."

"But I do."

"You know what I mean."

"I'm sure I don't dear, but do not fret. The message has been received loud and clear. No impromptu visits."

"Thank you," I replied. "Just for a little while."

19 comments:

  1. 'just for a little while" its amazing how elastic our time sense can be. one time I decided just one more pack of cigarettes, five years later I was still smoking, still planning to quit. good luck Dahlia. I think you are going to need it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is becoming something of an addiction. But surely she can quit at any time... right?

      Delete
    2. anytime she wants to...assuming she does, want to that is. :)

      Delete
    3. I don't foresee any situation where this could get out of hand.

      Delete
  2. I am impessed to see Dahlia being so decisive and assertive in what she is planning.
    Very clever of her to block Katherine's visits. Now the road is open for the next very serious step!
    Lets see Melissa's reactions though.
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. By putting these new elements in place Dahlia is certainly opening a door to the next level and, perhaps, many more levels beyond.

      Delete
  3. " Many more levels beyond?" Very intriguing to hear that.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh hooray for many more levels, even if it is only 'perhaps'..... Emma you lovely tease, you. :).

      Delete
    2. Well I have to be mysterious - that's a mandatory trapping of the trade - but we could conjecture much considering we're only part way through book one of three. At this rate of progress, who knows how far things might go!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm love the bit about the swimsuit... giving me more ideas ;-)

    MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are ways and means..

      Delete
    2. sign of a devious mind, if you ask me *smiles and winks*

      Delete
    3. I can be devious at times... very devious.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely loving the snappy dialogue between Katherine and Dahlia in this part. Beautifully paced and may I say pretty funny indeed? Who says we can't have some humour at the home of Dark Tales. Love the way you give us their dynamic, here Emma, plus the bit where she offers to cancel the 'useless cleaner' is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks Dandelion. I was wondering what had happened to you. Glad you're back. It wasn't quite the same without you.

    Yeah, I love Katherine. She's awesome. Their banter is a joy to write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been away for a week's holiday and just caught up. It's great to have several episodes to read.

    The original Cleaner is my favourite story of yours as it stands but the extra detail and twists in this expanded version make it a totally different and much better tale. It'll be interesting to see how Melissa takes Dahlia's extra padding and even more how she might take advantage of a regular and more formal arrangement. Could she find the confidence to start bossing the new 'cleaner' about and perhaps even send her to work at her other jobs?

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say no, after all it is beneath "Dahlia's" notice what her cleaner does when she isn't around.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm. I can't promise to explore every single possibility but I can do my best to keep it interesting. I like the way that Dahlia is taking these measures to assume a form more pleasing to her fantasies.

      Delete