Saturday 9 August 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Four - Part One



Without A Smidgeon of Doubt



DAHLIA

I let my brother in the front door and he kissed my cheek then gave me a long earnest look.

“What?” I asked, smirking.

“Are you alight?”

I thought about Melissa. “Sure. I guess.” I started through toward the kitchen and he went with me. “Just life as usual. How’s it hanging with you?”

“I heard your agent came to see you.”

“Tommy. Yes.”

“Talking about this comeback idea again?”

“Yes.” We went into the kitchen and I headed toward the kettle. “Tea?”

“You know I hate tea.”

“Sorry. Coffee then.”

“Please.”

I put the kettle on and got some cups out.

“What did Tommy say?”

I didn’t respond. I was looking at how clean the work surfaces were, thinking how it was me that had done that.

“Dahlia?”

“Hmm?”

“Tommy. What’s he been saying?”

“The same as usual. He wants to set up some meetings and get the ball rolling with putting my name out there again.”

“Are you still planning to see it through?”

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I?”

“How are you?”

“I’m fine.” I chuckled. “How are you? Didn’t we do this part already?”

“Are you avoiding my questions?”

“No. Why would I? I told you. I’m hunky dory.”

“Are you meeting Tommy again?”

“He wants to see me tomorrow. I was considering it. I think he has some new ideas and he's bringing a magazine lady up from London. I’m really excited about it.”

“Are you looking forward to getting back into the scene?”

“Sure. There are people I haven’t seen in ages. It’s going to be great to start seeing them regularly again. I can’t wait.” I put a tea bag in each cup and tapped my finger on the worktop, waiting for the kettle. “How come you came over anyway? Is everything alright at your end?”

“No problems. I just thought it would be nice to see you and I’m working from home today. It isn’t far to come.”

We stopped talking for a little while as the kettle gabbled on. It wasn’t as comfortable a silence as we normally enjoyed, though I wasn’t quite sure why. My wandered back onto Melissa; the feel of the vacuum in my hand; pushing it back; pulling it toward me; back and forth, over and over again to the whoosh of the suction.

The kettle boiled and I went to pour.

“Was that a teabag I saw you put in there?” asked Steven.

I giggled, fishing it out. “Sorry. One day I’ll get it.” I spooned in some instant coffee and filled it almost to the top with boiling water then topped it up with milk.

“How did you know about Tommy?” I asked.

Steven got the sugar out of the cupboard and put himself some.

“Katherine, right?” I said. “I swear, she’s like a spy sometimes, running off and filling you in. She’s supposed to be discreet. That’s why I pay her.”

“She was worried about you.”

“I don’t know why. I’m perfectly fine.”

“Are you sure?”

I folded my arms. “God, Steven. What is with you today? I’m fine. I’m normal. I’m the same as I am every other day.”

“Katherine didn’t seem to think so.”

“Well maybe Katherine should keep her opinions to herself.”

“That isn’t fair,” said Steven. “She’s been very loyal to you.”

“I know but... Look, I don’t know what to tell you. Katherine got the wrong end of the stick, obviously. If that’s the reason you came over – something that she said – then you wasted a trip. I thought you actually wanted to see me.”

“I did... want to see you. Of course.”

“We never seem to have proper social calls anymore,” I replied. “You’re always snooping around. We should go out one night and just get really smashed – have a great time; let our hair down. Well, I’ll let my hair down. You can let your toupee down.”

“I don’t wear a toupee.”

“Really?” I did a mock double take. “Really?”

“Very funny.” He chuckled out of obligation.

“Seriously Steven. There’s nothing wrong with me. I've never been better.”

He scrutinised me. He didn’t buy it, though I had no idea why. I really did feel good. With the relaxing and delightfully naughty morning I’d had, I felt great.

Melissa appeared in the doorway for a moment then walked on out of sight. She looked from one to the other of us while she was in view somewhat forlornly. I didn’t know why.

“Let’s go through to the pool room,” I said. “I have those shorts you used last time. You can go for a swim and  then do some sunbathing with me.”

“No. Thanks. I have to get back.”

“Already?”

“I was just popping in.”

I shrugged. “Okay. Sure. Don’t you even want to finish your coffee?”

“No. Thank you.” He walked toward the door and I found myself feeling disappointed. “We’ll have to meet up properly sometime soon. You’re right. We don’t have enough fun. I shouldn’t work so much. I need you to nag me.”

“Cry off the rest of the day,” I said. “If anyone asks; tell them you’re sick. Stay here.”

“No. I’d better go.” He turned to face me. “You know you can call me at any time, right?”

“Of course. And you can call me too.”

He scrutinised me again for a moment then he gave a little smile and left the house.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nope. What with all my line learning I've run out of episodes for now. We may need to focus on Cleaner by itself for a week or so. We'll see.

      Delete
    2. No bad thing :-)... this is the story that gives me the most goosebumps... not that I am short of them with Lady Anne.. or come to think of it any of the others.. :-)

      Delete
    3. Besides, we do not want to have a burnt-out Emma :-) MikeW

      Delete
  2. Great development for us 'Cleaner' lovers!
    Monica G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is a good chapter! I love the joking about the toupee, but the day dreaming about the vacuum is deliciously full of innuendo and suggestion. Naughty!
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Innuendo? Vacuum cleaner? Why I don't know what you mean!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I think you do missy.
      Finntasia x

      Delete
    3. I actually really didn't think of it in those terms. Seriously. I was innocently writing about how relaxing it was to do the cleaning...

      Delete
    4. as though we believe that for a second :-) - MikeW

      Delete
  4. Liking the title of this part, Emma... looks like Dahlia's got her heart set on this story unfolding after all; she's paying scant attention to much else. Her mind is away, her exploits in your hands. Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. There's nothing to hold her back now and only a delightful wonderland of tantalising possibilities laid out before her.

      Delete
  5. Love the way this is going - Dahlia seems to be daydreaming about her fantasy a bit more.How did the play go .
    Don't push your self to get more lady Anne episodes out recharge your batteries as a burnt out Emma might not be a pretty sight.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The play isn't for a while yet. Don't worry about me. Writing is almost the best thing in my world so it's never a chore. You may be pleased to learn that I pushed the boat out yesterday and I will be releasing another book this week.

      Delete
    2. Hooray for that, nice one Emma can't wait to read it. Almost the best thing...? Aaaw. your fans are very lucky x

      Delete
    3. Not as lucky as I am to have them.

      Delete
    4. which one? or is that top secret? ;-P MikeW

      Delete
    5. Whcih book? Well... a lovely little transformation novel called Man Wanted.

      Delete
    6. may Rasheed get what's coming to him

      Delete