Thursday 7 August 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Three - Part Eight



Dahlia

It was a phone call that ended it this time.

It had to end – I knew that – but I didn’t want it to. I was enjoying it too much. I’d finished in the kitchen and had started vacuuming the downstairs rooms, starting at the front of the house. The whoosh of the vacuum and the undulation was as calming any of it. I could have done it all day.

But the phone started ringing and I turned off the vacuum, going to pick up. For a split second before I did, I considered putting on a voice and saying, “Dahlia Western’s residence. How may I help you?” But I was too scared to and I was relieved I hadn’t when I recognised the voice on the other end.

“Dahlia? It’s Steven.”

My big brother.

“Steve? Hi! How are you?”

“Fine. Fine. I’m just on my way over; thought I'd check that you were in.”

“Oh. It’s not really... convenient at the moment.”

“It won’t take long,” he replied. “I’m not far from yours. I’m just crossing the river.”

“Oh. Okay. Oh.” I looked down at my clothes. “You’re in the car now?”

“Yes. I’ll be there in about ten minutes. If that.”

“Oh, right. Okay,” I said, feeling the sudden need to get off the phone. “I’d better get ready then. I’ll see you in a minute.”

He said something else but I was already putting the phone down.

It wasn’t like with Katherine’s sudden appearance; we had time to change. Steven drove like an old lady and there were road works down in the village that would slow him down. Nevertheless, I hurried through to the lounge.

Melissa was watching TV but when she saw me she started.

“We have to swap back,” I said. “My brother’s on his way over.”

She looked put out; not surprisingly considering how much she must have been enjoying herself, but she sprang up and came toward me.

I led the way back upstairs and we rushed to get out of our new outfits. We were getting used to undressing together. It didn’t feel as weird as it had done. I went into my closet and picked out a new outfit. I liked it when my brother came but I didn’t like the looks he gave me sometimes.

When I went back into the bedroom Melissa was dressed as well. She was waiting and I realised she was waiting for me to tell her what to do. On Monday I had given her the rest of the day off. She must have been wondering if I'd do the same. But my brother was almost here and I'd left various pieces of cleaning equipment out.

“Uh, do you mind finishing off in the dining room?” I asked. “The vacuum cleaner’s in there already.” 

She looked a little crestfallen but she nodded. “Alright.”

I felt a little guilty, but she'd got to lie around watching television instead of working. She hadn’t done me any favours. She was still my employee.

She turned to go. I almost called after her, but I didn’t.

She left the room and started downstairs and I just stood there, wishing it could have gone on longer and wondering if we should do it again.

29 comments:

  1. Ouch! Dismissed! Too cruel.
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But will they do it again!?!?!?

      Delete
    2. Let me hazard a wild guess ... YES? :)

      Robyn Hoode

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm not making any promises, but you may be right.

      Delete
  2. When are the books for cleaner and la2 coming out .I want to keep on reading as each episode leaves you wanting more and you have to wait two more days each episode. Is drawing you in wantiing more.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Emma's magical powers for you...:-) - MikeW

      Delete
    2. Hey Rob,

      The book of Cleaner will be out reasonably soon (when I finish it - though work has stopped because I have too much on at the moment).

      LA2 won't be out for a LONG time as it's going to be similarly long or longer than LA1. But again, when I finish it I will put it out.

      Meanwhile, you can enjoy the serials hopefully (and go and read Sixth Guest too!). And I'll be releasing another book soon as well (though it isn't looking too good for their being an August release at this rate).

      And thanks Mike! Comments like that are why I keep writing!

      Emma

      Delete
    3. thanks emma its just that im impatient and love your work and cant wait for the next installments

      Rob.
      ps don't burn yourself out get some emma time as they say all good things come to those that wait

      Delete
    4. Thanks Rob. I have been burning the candle at both ends lately.

      Delete
    5. ...and in the middle? these literary geniuses are on fire all over, Emma. Rob is quite right make sure you get some Emma time x

      Delete
    6. I am certainly burning up all over.

      Need to follow brain restoration recipe:

      1) Cut open head

      2) Remove brain with spoon

      3) Place brain in hot scented bath water

      4) Leave to marinate for 24-48 hours

      5) Put back in head

      6) Glue head shut

      Delete
    7. Wow, I'm gonna try this rite diz meeneettttt.
      Finn(brainless)tasia x

      Delete
    8. I thought you'd already done it. I got the recipe from you.

      (Grins)

      Delete
    9. what emma needs to do is follow her own advice and go and go and have a spa and a total body massage to help her relax followed by a total indulgent emma time with chocolate and a nice wine with loverly cheese to help you totally unwind.

      Rob

      Delete
    10. Mmmm. Sounds lovely. If only...

      Delete
    11. Even if you go and get a massage it might help I know it does with me.

      Rob

      Delete
    12. Thanks Rob. I'm going all out to learn the lines for this play I'm in this weekend. When I'm done with that I can get back to smooth sailing.

      Delete
  3. I like this episode it has just the right mix of eagerness and disappointment for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in this version we're certainly getting into the nitty gritty of the detail...

      Delete
  4. OOH yes it's great. I especially like the bit where she answers the phone and considers putting on a voice as the hired help...

    actually I have to say I mis-read it to begin with, and thought she was wondering whether or not to put on her actual voice, so immersed in the part was she. and that was... yeah, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretending to be Melissa over the phone with a stranger would be an incredible step forward.

      Delete
    2. well, it's good she didn't as she never could've pulled it off with her brother, but... well, yeah, just the thought of it occurring inside her pretty little head is indeed pretty incredible.

      Delete
    3. I don't know... That would be a fantastic challenge. }

      Delete
  5. I'm loving this story. :-)
    Tasia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite the anti-climax this part. The moment we thought that both of them were in the right frame of mind for a big step forward we went two steps back. Now the correct climate has to be built up again between those two, hopefully faster this time.
    Will we have the next episode in a couple of days?
    Anyway you manage to keep our anticipation quite high dear Emma,
    Monica G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica. Thanks. Maybe you'd do better to wait for the book to come out...

      Delete
  7. I think this is very clever. I mean, look at this way: reality strikes and they see what that means. Now the door is open to both of them dwelling on what would be needed in order for it to feel more real... Now this is something Emma does very well ;-) All that thinking will of course excite them and then they will have to reach an understanding and this is where the change will really take on a life of its own - MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. They need time to think and question and hopefully push a little further.

      Delete