Friday 15 August 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Four - Part Four

MELISSA

I’d had a hell of a day.

The school had been filthy. It had taken forever to get it all done. The younger members of the cleaning team didn’t pull their weight and I’d made the mistake of telling one of them. Now they kept making fun of me, calling me names like they were ten years old.

Wankers.

I took the bus from Corbridge up to Hillfort when it finally came but I missed the first one because I decided to start walking, it was so late. Obviously it waited until I was a hundred yards up the road then sailed past. It was the story of my life in microcosm.

I was starving hungry and really pissed off when I got off the bus on Hillfort high street. Hillfort was the highest point of Barton but you wouldn’t have known. Back before the town sprung up there would have been views all down the valley but now the houses crowded in tightly enough that you could easily forget you were even on a hill.

I bought some fish fingers, oven chips and a bottle of white cider from Iceland and trudged back home, eyes down on the pavement. I sighed loudly when I saw that the flats in the house next door to ours still hadn’t cleared the bin bags they had piled up high on the flag stoned front garden. More than half of them were split and more bags were piled on the pavement. It was disgusting. I was sick of living in Barton. Really sick of it. That was the trouble. Too many of the houses had been made into flats now. They weren’t home owners. They didn’t give a shit.

Our house wasn’t a whole lot better. The front needed re-rendering and the paintwork on the windows was splitting. The garden was a carpet of weeds. I knew I should get out there and sort it out but I didn’t have any energy left after I’d finished work. And why should I do it by myself?

I let myself in. The hall was in darkness. I couldn't hear anything upstairs or down. The TV was off for a change.

“Robert?”

No answer. I hung my handbag on the bottom of the banister and took my shopping through to the kitchen. The strip light flickered and came on dully. After a further ten seconds it clicked to full brightness; far too dazzling for the little room.

I sighed loudly. There was mess everywhere: dirty pots on the side; the oven open, a crusted baking tray discarded on the door flap.

“Robert? Are you in?”

No answer. The oven was still warm. I put enough fish fingers and chips out as I needed for me. He must have already eaten. I used the same baking tray he had. The charred remnants of what looked like a pie was stuck fast. I didn’t care.

I grumbled to myself as I poured a mug full of cider, thinking back to Dahlia Western and her insipid expression as she told me we couldn’t switch places again.

I took a long draught of white cider – which was bitter but electrifying – and carried it down the hall and entered the lounge. The blinds and curtains were shut. It was pitch dark. I reached for the switch.

“Leave it.”

I jumped, making a tiny yelp in my throat. “God, Robert? What are you sitting in the dark for?”

He didn’t answer. I couldn’t make him out anywhere in there, though the sound of his voice had probably come from the chair near the window. I reached for the light switch again.

“I said leave it.”

“Why? What are you doing?”

He made no sound. I stood there, peering into the dark, trying to pick him out of it, but with my vision I could see nothing.

Robert said nothing. I lowered my hand.

He had to be watching me but I couldn't see him; not even a hint of reflection in his eyes.

I waited the better part of three minutes, then feeling disconcerted, I backed out of the room and went back through to the kitchen.

19 comments:

  1. Some many foreshadowings in such a small post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and more than that for the sharp eyed Finnster.

      Delete
  2. Gracious who is this Robert and what kind of a hold does he have on her? Why doesn't she turn on the light and wait for so long instead before retreating... The weirdness of Melissa's life is becoming apparent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It seems that both our ladies have more going on than was initially apparent.

      Delete
  3. Can I just say, Emma, that your characters are brilliantly drawn and always leave us desperate to get to know them better. That goes for Sixth Guest as well over on the other blog. The characters are fascinating and intriguing in everything you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You do have my permission to say that. Thank you Dandelion! I can always rely on you to say the right thing.

      Delete
  4. Dahlia Western as Melissa calls her is mentioned only once in this part and yet you feel she is very much in her mind.
    I wonder if Melissa is already plotting how to entice Dahlia to swap places with her again.
    Let's see what Emma thinks.
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Melissa does seem to have good reason to want an escape from her life, no matter how transitory.

      Delete
  5. If I remember rightly in the original cleaner Robert was Mellissa's husband and I think that she will try and dominate dahlia into swapping places and even swapping names.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All bets are off in this new version. Anything could happen.

      Delete
    2. that's why I love this version .Anything can happen that's why its so enticing.
      Rob

      Delete
    3. Enticing is what Emmas do be--

      Ah, forget it!

      ;)

      Delete
    4. How can I forget it this version goes into much more detail and keeps the reader enthralled and wanting more.Point taken about spoilers

      Rob

      Delete
    5. Thanks buddy. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. I'll always remember how you bought the paperback and ebook version of Lady Ann when it came out. In a life that has in recent times been filled with wonders, that was a perfect moment.

      Thank you.

      Delete
    6. No problems with lady Anne I am always going back to la1 to check things out.
      Rob

      Delete
  6. Hey! When I mentioned a plot sequence in the 'old' Cleaner (ie ver 1.0) I got it deleted (very politely I confess :) ) Is it because I sign myself Robyn to distinguish myself from Rob? :)

    I think there's a reason Robert sits in the dark. He's obviously a vampire who is extra sensitive to light before he goes out for the night to feed. In fact on this occasion he's on his way to suckle on Dahlia's blood. It's obvious to any intelligent reader and particularly to Finnfans. You can't fool us!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robyn,

      Good point. I thought I'd let this one slip but I'm going to put a post out just urging people to avoid giving the game away inadvertently. I know of at least two regular commenters who haven't read the original Cleaner story and it would be a shame to give any clues to future revelations.

      Thanks Robyn. I love getting your comments. You might be onto something with this vampire theory, though I tend to avoid writing vampire stories.

      (Unless they're psycho vampires obviously) :)

      Delete
    2. Called Lynch!
      Finntasia x

      Delete