Monday 11 August 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Four - Part Two



MELISSA

I wasn’t sure why, but I was angry.

No, I knew why. Exactly.

Because when I’d had to change back into my own clothes and get back to work, the thud I’d come down with had been audible down in Barton.

I didn’t know why I let myself get into such ridiculous situations; to actually be relaxing into it; getting used to pretending I was the owner of this palace. How old was I that I was playing dress up and make-believe? How old was Dahlia? I should have my head examined, or she should. She definitely should.

I huffed, polishing the ornaments on the ceiling high shelf unit in the parlour, working carelessly; angrily. I was fuming at my own stupidity. Because I'd been stupid enough to start thinking that it would actually go on all morning – that it could happen again and again. Dahlia’s brother coming was just an excuse to pull out. I could read between the lines.

I snatched at the next ornament but I didn’t get a close enough hold of it and it tumbled down off the shelf. I stuck my leg out to block the fall and it hit me hard on the top of my foot, making me wince. It bounced off and clattered onto the floor, cracking in two.

“God damn it!”

I struggled down to pick up the pieces. It was a dolphin leaping up from the waves. The base was the waves. I turned it, looking at the break. A section had come loose that included the tail, part of its side and a fin. This was going to get me in trouble. Unless...

I put it back on the shelf and turned it so that the break was hidden. I placed the fragment just behind it out of sight then I moved round to look at it from different angles. It probably wouldn’t be noticed for a while. I didn’t think I’d ever seen Dahlia come into this room. She had more rooms than I'd had hot dinners. I bet it would be years before she noticed.

Continuing with my dusting I went back to grousing about my life, but I paused again when I noticed a pretty piece on one of the lower shelves that looked quite valuable. It was a model of an old horse and carriage and they’d used gold to add detail to it. It was probably worth a mint.

With a glance toward the door, I picked it up, wondering if I could sneak it out. My handbag was under the stairs but I could pop back in when I was—

“Melissa?”

I put the ornament down and whirled round. Dahlia was in the doorway.

“Uh yes? Hi.” I pushed the little carriage back on the shelf and gave it a quick dust, feeling as though my intentions were flashing over my head, written in lights.

“I’m... sorry about cutting things short,” she said.

I shrugged, trying to measure her intentions. Her expression was cloudy. The signs I was used to seeing weren’t there. I guess I'd never interacted with anyone in this way before. It was all uncharted.

“I had to— My brother. He... wouldn't have understood.” She gave a chuckle that was more of a click in the back of her throat. “I’m not sure I understand.”

I smiled but I was conscious of how plastic it would likely look.

Another one of our awkward silences came. It seemed that they inserted themselves into all our conversations now – though there had been precious little interaction before this started. This silence crawled on longer than any of the others.

“I just wanted to say...” Dahlia gave a brittle lipped smile. “I don’t think we should do... what we did... again.” Perhaps remembering the difference in our roles, she added, “We aren’t going to do it again.”

I had an impulse to disagree – to even try to convince her that we should – but I kept my trap shut. I didn’t know what to reply so I said nothing.

“I just don’t think— I don’t want to keep...” She smiled a very unguarded smile then her eyes clouded again. “I’m sorry if—”

“It’s fine,” I said. “I don’t mind either way. It was nice to watch TV and stuff but...” I shrugged.

“Okay. Good. Great,” said Dahlia. “Okay. That’s sorted then.” She looked visibly relieved.

I eyed the gilt-edged ornament.

“I’d better let you get on with your cleaning,” she said.

“Yeah,” I replied.

Another awkward pause. Then Dahlia backed out and left me to my work.

17 comments:

  1. on a completely unrelated topic, How long does the average new years resolution last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two and a half minutes.

      Or all year for me.

      (Winks)

      Delete
  2. assuming that they do "switch" will new Dahlia reprimand new Melissa for "her" carelessness in breaking the dolphin statuette?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ornament?!! This is getting curiouser and curiouser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fact that Melissa got angry. The right background is created for the moment they switch roles again.
    And that 'cloudiness' in Dahlia I wonder what it really means.
    Monica G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. I agree Melissa's reaction is fabulous; she claims she 'doesn't mind either way' but actually she's got a taste for something she's not so ready to give up. Methinks there's a bit of bluffing going on here... each of them pretending they're not so bothered, taking a step back, shrugging... when actually they both love it to bits.

    Dandelion

    ps: love Dahlia's unguarded smile: she doesn't want to keep.... swapping? naah, she doesn't want to keep breaking off from swapping! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that bit with melissa as well. how many times in life do we feel something, anger, whatever, and do we because of social pressure just we're fine.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I get the impression that Melissa looks down on Dahlia at first, only enjoying the riches. She's just starting to enjoy it for... Other reasons.

      Delete
  6. This exemplifies what is uniquely exciting about this genre. We all know that they will somehow swap places, just the details are completely foggy. So we can see a whole host of future references being laid out, which in itself keeps the mind turning.

    Also the particular reference to Melissa's dishonesty, or sense of being wronged, is good. At the moment I am not sure whether to sympathise with her or not. There is so much still to unfold from her character. Very very enjoyable. MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. already there are some elements of the switch; Melissa is angry because Dahlia "stole" "her" life. Dahlia is instinctively deferential towards Melissa already.

      Delete
  7. It's interesting to notice that Melissa avoids to address Dahlia properly like Miss, Ma'am or anything similar. She simply answers to her employer in short sentences, not at all like a domestic. I wonder if that is going to change when they switch roles.
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Well in modern day England I'm not sure a cleaner would address her employer as miss or ma'am.

      Delete
  8. Well studied characters as always. :-)
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete