Tuesday 2 September 2014

LADY ANN'S FOLLY: Chapter Five - Part Five



Mavis almost let the laughter out as she went upstairs but succeeded, just barely, to keep it in. 

It was remarkable how gullible the gentry were - or people in general. She'd always been good at manipulating others but behind her current mask it seemed even easier. People just couldn't see past the beauty and doe-eyes. Which suited her down to the ground. 

Richard was in the upstairs lounge, gazing out the window. He was so slim and handsome. Mavis could hardly comprehend her luck, especially in consideration of the wealth he clearly had. His figure was slender but broad in the shoulder. He was in a different league from Burt; an entirely different sort of animal; but equally potent surely, in his own way. 

She knew men better than she knew anything else and she could tell to look at him that he'd never known real passion. What wasn't clear as yet was whether that part of him, that every man must surely contain, was unassailable or whether, if given time and the wiles of a girl of her nature, it could be brought out in a great flood of unspent lust. 

She sniggered to herself, relishing the challenge. She had her sights on his money but she had no intention of being stuck with a cold fish if she did manage to snare this life for her own. She had every intention of turning this batchelor into the kind of man she liked and had always desired. 

"Richard," she cooed, coming up behind him. "I'm lookin forward to seeing your home, very much." 

"Good. I am certain that mother will find you every bit as charming as I do. And I am eager to get back to work. Towns don't run themselves you know." 

"You run the whole town?" 

He chuckled. "Not exactly, no, but I am developing a number of business enterprises there along with much of the infrastructure to support it. I suppose you could certainly say that I am currently the most influential man in the county." 

Mavis took his arm and rested her head on his shoulder happily. "Shall we leave soon? I want to get off before..." 

"Before...?" 

"Before anyone tries to stop us." 

"There's no danger of that I can assure you, but we'll have you back here In no time, I can assure you of that." 

"Don't feel you ave to rush me back here darling," said Mavis. "I think, if I'm going to Nockton I would like to stay for at least a month. Maybe two. Or even longer." 

Richard smiled down at her. "That would certainly give me more time to manage my businesses." 

"Well that's settled then Richard," said Mavis. "Let's leave right away and never come back." 















25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Call me a pessimist, but I suspect everyone's plans may go awry

      Delete
  2. the best laid plans of mice and men
    ( Joins in the cackle)
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. I was hoping we'd get another cackler or two.

      Delete
    2. More cackling. It's a frickin coven here, Emma. :)

      Delete
  3. I wonder, do you think not getting her way (again) will annoy Hattie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course we're assuming new Mavis will regret not turning back in even just a week. :)

      Delete
    2. we're also assuming that Hattie will still be Hattie at the end of the week. (manic grin)

      Delete
    3. The new Mavis hasn't given up on getting back to being herself quite yet! And without the pendant, Hattie has limited power to do anything. Right?

      Delete
  4. I would happily give you a cackle if you ask.. just I prefer maniacal laughter myself..MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maniacal laughter is also good.

      Delete
    2. What about a pre commercial escalating evil overlord laugh?

      Delete
    3. I like that
      Rob

      Delete
  5. Mavis's wiles are quite something. She is so my favourite character in any of your stories Emma. She has such unashamed fun and I'm totally looking forward to her trying her deft and practiced hand at drawing out Richard's unspent lust... Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe Richard is gay and that's why he has been so singularly uninterested in being physical with Ann.

      Delete
    2. Yeah Dandelion. She is ace. I hadn't planned her plotted seduction in the outline but I'm looking forward to it.

      And Richard gay John? Hmmm. Interesting theory.

      Delete
    3. how many people with his background invite someone like Burt off for a little private fishing trip, and then spend the time talking about "wives don't understand" maybe he was making a pass and it went completely over Burt's head.

      Delete
    4. Now that was bloody funny. I had a good long giggle about that.

      Delete
  6. I chuckled myself. :)
    PS they have to come back, how else is Richard going to get switched with someone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he doesn't need to come back for that to happen. They are going to Nockton Vale after all...

      Delete
    2. runs across an annoying labor organizer, perhaps by the name of say George Barton?

      Delete
    3. Literally anything could happen!

      Delete