Wednesday 27 August 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Four - Part Nine



MELISSA

Cash Exchange billed itself on the outside as something modern and gaudy but on the inside it was just as shabby as everything else in Barton.

The aisles inside were too narrow. The vacant people milling around inside, looking for bargains couldn’t easily move past one another. It led to awkward bottle necks that were even harder to navigate considering my girth. I passed one elderly man who looked like his soul had been literally torn out of his chest leaving only shreds behind to animate his emaciated greyish flesh. He wore an expression of mild revulsion when he let me go first but even then we had to squeeze past one another. He recoiled from me like I was a freak, desperate not to touch me. It made me sick.

When I got to the counter I waited in line behind the young mother and child in front. The child had dirty clothes, ripped in several places. Its mother wore a wrinkled dress, mottled with over-wear, that barely concealed anything of her reed-thin legs. She was trading in three mobile phones. She made no mention of where she’d got them and the man stationed there didn’t ask. She looked like she slept rough and the phones looked brand new.

Though who was I to judge? I was about to sell something stolen myself.

I took a moment to examine my heart in regard to that, curious if I’d find any guilt, but there wasn’t any really. I didn’t see why I should feel guilty. It wasn’t my fault I didn’t have a lot of money. I didn’t choose the life I led and I worked bloody hard for the scraps I did live on. People like Dahlia Western and the Stanwicks only got their wealth by happenstance. They didn’t deserve it any more than I did. They could share it from time to time.

And it was only an old ring that was gathering dust. It was a flipping waste when people were starving in the world.

I gave it to the man on the counter when I reached the front. He gave it a look over then scrutinised me oddly, examining my face and chest; my shoulders, my hair. I thought initially that he thought I’d stolen it but it wasn’t that kind of look. He made me an offer that was twenty pounds lower than I’d hoped for but I shrugged inwardly and took it. It was money for old rope as far as I was concerned and he’d sell it on to someone who might actually find a use for it. I was effectively doing a good deed.

My mobile started ringing as I left the shop. I frowned when I saw Dahlia Western’s name on the screen. I think she’d only ever rung me once and that was to ask me to do some extra cleaning after a big party. I only kept the money in case I had to call in sick and I tended to work then anyway. I hadn’t had a sick day off for four years or more.

I accepted the call and gave a very guarded, “Hello?”

“Melissa. It’s me. Dahlia.”

“Uh, hi. Is there a problem?”

“Not at all. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve got some new ideas for our swap tomorrow.”

“Huh?” I didn’t believe I was hearing this after the crap she’d pulled yesterday.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about it and... Well, it’s so much fun, I’d like to do it again. And more often. Maybe every time you come over.”

I had no idea what to say. I’d decided to encourage her every chance I got but this was so unexpected I couldn’t tell the best way to manage it. Should I sound reluctant or well up for it?

“I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable about it though. We don’t need to.”

“No,” I said. “I’d like to.”

There was a silence. I worried that willingness might paradoxically knock the wind from her sails.

“Great” she said finally. “That’s wonderful.”

Awkward pause.

“I’ll see you in the morning,” she said.

“Okay.”

“And Melissa...?”

“Yes?”

“Do you own a spare pair of glasses?”

29 comments:

  1. I love the description of the seedy underworld of Barton; Melissa's world. The characters in the shop are brilliantly drawn... our glimpse into urban degradation and squalor. No wonder she's delighted at the prospect of leaving it for a spell.

    Speaking of spells.... What's up with that ring, hey? Pawn shop chap clearly had eyes for it on some level....? Or not. Just a ring, right?! Hmm. I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like dahlia is about to become Melissa and is the ring going to be seen again
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of spells... Why can't Emma's fans tear themselves away from reading her stories. - Finnatic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can always stop writing them if you'd prefer...?

      Delete
    2. don't you dare you would have a world wide riot on your hands

      Rob

      Delete
    3. Our ongoing and unshakeable support, and the combined compulsion of the addiction and adulation of your fans to said stories. Write on Miss Finn.... Please!!

      Delete
    4. Hmmm. I'm not sure that's enough. I may need to track down some local fans and get a more... valuable bribe.

      Delete
    5. I would bribe you with my body and soul to make you write more stories for us, Miss Finn. :)

      Delete
    6. Also our undying devotion and support for your wonderful stories

      Rob



      Delete
  4. Oh yes... I could really feel that shop.. I remember them well from my student days. Fortunately I did not shop in Barton ;-) MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well *giggles* who knows what would have happened...

      Delete
    2. Indeed. But I suspect you might have got stuck there. How awful would that have been!?

      Delete
    3. :-) it does sound like one or two places I have visited or lived in. You know how my mind works ;-)

      Delete
    4. Well you know it's based loosely on a place in the town I live called Boscombe. I only just moved out of there but I didn't leave it unchanged... And I suspect even bigger changes are yet to come.

      Delete
  5. I do wish we could have a new part everyday dear Emma, in particular now that the plot moves faster.
    We don't know yet what Dahlia bought in the workwear shop. I guess we will find out when Melissa goes to the house.
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What he said.

      The book will be coming out soon(ish) if you're desperate. :)

      You'll find out what she bought very soon. But first... we return to Lady Ann!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! It's the coolest epic I've ever written!

      Delete
  6. You've got that right

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. A story series I have fallen for-- very kinkily (I hope that's a word) erotic- Thanks - JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinkily is definitely a word. I use it all the time... for some reason.

      Thanks JJ!

      Delete