Monday 25 August 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Four - Part Eight



I joined the main road at the bottom that ran along the river.

It crossed just beyond the outskirts of town – that was the quickest way into Nockton – but there was another route: a smaller bridge down a side lane directly into Barton. I’d never been that way before myself though I'd heard it was possible to work your way through. I'd also heard it was practically impossible to do so. But it was Barton that I wanted to go to this time and I had an urgent imperative to get there quickly before the shops shut.

Shrugging my shoulders, I took the turnoff and went over the single lane bridge.

I didn’t know the names of the different suburbs of Barton, nor did I want to. It was a dismal place with very old and decrepit buildings. The roads weren’t wide and they turned frequently, sometimes so tightly, I wasn’t sure my car would make it without a scratch. After twenty minutes I was wishing I'd driven round but I persevered, especially after I passed an open green with two big blocks of flats. I'd seen them somewhere in the middle of Barton from the top of my garden so I was on the right track.

Eventually I found my way to the open air car park behind Barton’s shopping precinct. I parked up then checked the address of the shop I was after on my phone, brining up a map. I kicked myself that I hadn’t used the sat-nav option to find my way but it was playing up. Although it brought up the map of Barton it couldn’t seem to place my location on it. It didn’t matter.

When I got to the high street I asked someone to point to where I was on the map then started threading my way through. I only thought shallowly about where I was going and why but I was growing increasingly excited. On the other hand I was developing a real headache now and a pinching sensation that felt like stress. I ignored it, walking on.

I didn’t like Barton. The people weren’t my sort at all and it was terribly shabby. I resolved to avoid it in future, but not before I got what I came for.

When I saw the shop I grinned. It was quite a big place but well off the main thoroughfare. It looked like two small units knocked through into one.

Barton Workwear. I hesitated outside, thinking of my brother. My headache went up a notch. I fidgeted, rocking from one foot to the other. Then I pushed open the door and went in.

It was laid out like any clothes shop but on every stand were different clothes for working in. They had items for waiters and waitresses, nurses and doctors. They had overalls and hard hats. They had steel toe-capped boots. I moved between the stands, looking for what I wanted then stopped when I saw it.

There was a whole area for cleaner-related items. It was a wonderland of different possibilities. They even had maid outfits; some of them a little oversexed; but that wasn’t what I was looking for.

I looked at everything, touching the items I was drawn to with eager fingers. They had dresses designed for versatility and to be hardwearing. They had aprons and tabards. It was all so dizzying but the shopkeeper was looking my way. It made me feel uncomfortable; rushed. I didn’t know what to choose and the crushing sense that this was a terrible idea was threatening to close back in.

I got a hold of myself; calmed my breathing; closed my eyes; reminded myself who was in charge. I didn’t have to feel guilty about this. I didn’t have to question myself. I never had to do that. I had the right to do anything I damn well pleased as long as it didn’t hurt anybody, and I wanted to do this. I didn’t know why but I felt desperate to do it.

Opening my eyes, I forced the jitteriness down and behind me. I pointed my thoughts. I gave myself the permission I needed to do this.

This had been the problem all along. I had this crazy desire but every second of the way I was battering against my own reluctance.

Well I was sick of that. I wasn’t going to feel ashamed. Right now this was what I wanted to do. I would be damned if I was going to go on questioning myself. If I wanted to do it all day every day then I bloody would!

The shopkeeper was watching me. When he saw I had noticed he gave me a wise man’s smile, crinkling his eyes into black pits, and he said, “You look like you’ve come to a decision.”

“Too right I have,” I said.

25 comments:

  1. Cor, I love watching her wrestling with her guilt, suppressing her 'better judgement' all the way to the shop in a flurry of horny denial, then actualising it finally in the shop, acknowledging her desire versus her reluctance... That's what it's all about; her guilty pleasure is ours!?

    So perfect where she tells herself it's legit after all. Nice one, Emma... Yummy. Think she's about to put on those clothes with a whole new racy level of resolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Those barriers have come down. It's time to get serious.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if she will get a dress a couple of sizes too big

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo. Well they do grow up so fast! It's always sensible to build in some wriggle room.

      Delete
  3. Will she go for the cheap underwear,shoesand make-up as well to compete the look

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I hadn't considered the make-up angle before but I'm a bit more interested in make-up now.

      Delete
    2. As a cleaner she would not be able to afford expensive underwear and make-up she would have to make do with cheap alternative s or no make-up at all.

      Rob

      Delete
  4. Yes this was much better than Primark ;-) Picking the right outfit will be a mini-adventure in itself, indicating the direction in which she wishes to head, along with so many little detail - MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my mind too, this moment.. assuming she tries it all on in front of this guy, is a mini transformation. I mean here she is presenting herself as a cleaner.. not as what she 'is'. He would have no idea who she is and that anonymity allows people to dabble in new identities. It is what makes a large city like London so popular.. it allows you to change who you are - MikeW

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I could see this shop coming back in future stories as well as this one. There as so many delightful possibilities.

      So large cities allow you to change who you are...? That's intriguing. Care to elaborate? You can email me if you'd rather not do it here.

      Delete
    3. For sure. I did it myself :-) and at that point I think I do need to take it private.. sorry.

      Delete
    4. Cool. I'd love to chat about that if you like.

      Delete
  5. Bravo Emma! That's the shop I had in mind all along. I agree with you, not a sexy maid's uniform for Dahlia but probably a polycotton hard wearing working dress with a matching apron or tabard would be perfect.
    Now of course the possibilities are endless and Dahlia is really ready to plonge in to deep waters.
    I am dying to see how Dahlia and Melissa are going to interact when they meet again.
    Waiting anxiously for the next part.
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Monica. Yeah. I'll leave the sexy French Maid uniform for a different story. Dahlia is treading a very different path...

      Delete
  6. Brilliant, I didn't see that coming though I should have.
    Can`t wait to see the dynamic created when Dahlia appears before Mellissa in her workware.
    BillA (in France)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, France? On holiday? Well we are very international here so it's fitting. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Will try to do my best.

      Delete
    2. I am overseas too.. in Lithuania :-) MikeW

      Delete
  7. And I am in Greece as we speak!
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaah just me in the boring old UK then, guys... The company here's outstanding though. Hello to you all around the world. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is a "dam breaking" metaphor too obvious? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turning points, if embraced fully, can be marvellous.

      Delete