Sunday 27 July 2014

THE PRINCESS & THE SLAVE: Part Five

Time for the fifth part of this excert from my latest book, Talons of the Hawk. 





By morning, the former Princess Saffie was no longer furious. That anger had burned itself out in the small hours of the morning when the cold, discomfort and misery had overcome him.

The Saffie that opened his eyes on the dank dingy environs of the slave cage was nowhere near as imperious or as self-righteous. He had been exposed to some of the worst treatment a slave could face and understood fully how low he had fallen and how unfairly he had treated his servants when he’d still been royalty.

It was remarkable how well he felt he’d learned his lesson. Thoroughly cowed now, all he wanted was to sheepishly go back and say how sorry he was. He wanted to go back to his body then do his best to make amends. He wouldn’t even punish Raul for this treatment. He understood too well now what life was like for a slave.

He felt sure the newly minted princess would call for him first thing in the morning; but she didn’t. The hulking man who had once been a beautiful lady spent the rest of that day waiting and all of the following night, each hour that went by making him feel more and more wretched.

Finally, on the third day near noon he was called for, and he came very forlornly from the hold when the slave master called. All he wanted was to go back to his old life and forget that the hawk ever existed. He understood now why the king had said it was dangerous. Who knew better than he now just how dangerous it was?

The former Raul, now a beautiful pampered princess, reclined on her cushions under the silk awning on deck. She sneered with her pretty lips at Saffie as she was led into view then clicked her fingers. “Leave us,” she said to Asim, and he bowed and withdrew.

Saffie shuffled, noticing the hawk was nowhere to be seen and feeling painfully uncomfortable in the shape of a slave. He wanted to demand his body back but he was terrified the new princess would refuse and then call for her guards. Without the hawk in view to snatch he couldn’t risk it. If she chose to, she could have him killed for insubordination. The hawk could be anywhere. Until it was in view he didn’t dare try to force anything. He might never get close to her again if she wished it.

She was obviously angry for her mistreatment over the years. He understood that. His only option was to apologise so as not to make things worse.

“Well,” said the new princess imperiously. “What have you got to say for yourself? How have you been enjoying life as a slave?”

“It’s horrible,” replied Saffie, hating the sound of his deep man’s voice. “I’m sorry I treated you so badly for all those years. It was wrong of me. Turn me back and I will treat you well. I will make you a rich man.”

The princess laughed in his face. “Why should I change you back so soon? I don’t think you’ve been punished for your behaviour anywhere near enough.”

Despite his better judgment and resolve, Saffie saw red. “You dare to speak to me like that?” he cried. I am your princess! You will do as I command and change me back immediately!”

“My, my!” said the former slave. “Such words to address your princess. We can’t have you using such a tone when addressing royalty now can we?”

She moved a cushion out of the way to reveal the hawk statuette and Saffie blanched. “No please,” he said. “I’m sorry. You can punish me more before you change me back but please don’t use the hawk on me.”

The new princess smirked and, gripping the hawk tightly, said, “Would that this slave only spoke to me with the proper deference befitting a princess.”

Saffie’s eyes widened with fear as the magic washed over him then he froze, afraid to open his mouth.

“Well?” said the princess. “Speak!”

“A thousand apologies your highness,” said Saffie. “It was wrong of me to address you in that way. I beg your forgiveness.” He shook his head to hear the words emerge. He wanted nothing but to condemn these actions from his former slave but instead he went on to say, “Please accept my humble apologies your highness.”

She smiled to hear his obsequious tone. “I do accept such a heartfelt and grovelling apology. Now tell me, what is your name?”

Saffie was furious at this game the former Raul was playing with him but he couldn’t show it. “Begging your pardon your highness but you know very well that my name is Princess Saffie.”

“Well that won’t do at all. We can’t have a slave walking round with a name like that, can we?”

Saffie shook his head desperately, hating the fawning way he had to speak to her now. “Please your highness. I beg of your kindness. Please do not do this to me.”

The beautiful woman before him gripped tightly on the statuette and said, “It is my will that this man accept that his name is Raul.” She smiled cruelly. “And that he accepts that he is my slave.”

The moment Saffie heard those words he became stricken with panic and realised this was his last opportunity to escape this awful situation. He darted forward to snatch the hawk but before he was even half way there the magic flowed around him and he grew still, after all, the princess was his mistress. It would be wrong to challenge her in any way.

The princess glared at him in triumph and he averted his gaze as was right.

“You, man!” She cried. “Tell me your name now.”

The tall muscular man’s eyes quivered with horror then he lowered his head and replied, “As it pleases your highness. My name is Raul.” And as he said it he knew that it was true. He knew he used to be Princess Saffie but there was no doubt in his mind that now he had become Raul.

“What is your purpose here?”

“Only to serve you as your humble slave my lady,” replied Raul.

“And who am I?” she said.

The new Raul looked up at her. There had been no magical proclamation here. He could speak freely, as long as it was with proper deference as befitted his mistress, but he also understood how little power he had.

“You are the magnificent and beautiful Princess Saffie,” he said, “daughter of the king.”

The new Princess Saffie smiled again and nodded. “Well done. It seems you finally understand the way things are now.” 


There will be another excerpt from Talons of the Hawk in two days. 

4 comments:

  1. the ending to this story is .. well.. it will take your breath away... *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the charming, archaic-style language of the stories from this book. Enjoying reading this tale again.
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finntasia! With historical stories I try really hard to maintain the atmosphere through the language. I'm glad you enjoy that aspect.

      Delete