Monday 7 July 2014

Cleaner: Chapter Two - Part Four

DAHLIA 
 

I didn’t open the bag of clothes when I got home from shopping, I left it on the kitchen side and just went about my business as if it were a perfectly normal afternoon. I didn’t think about Melissa or my ridiculous charade with her.

I did some laps in the pool. I watched some TV in the lounge. I heated up one of the ready-cooked meals that Katherine had put in the deep freeze. After dinner I went upstairs to the studio I’d set up next door to the bedroom and sat in the bay window, sketching out an idea I'd had for a new dress design. It had ruffles at the front and a flouncy skirt that dropped only to the mid thigh.

When it was done I looked at it absently and then set it aside, reaching for a clean sheet of paper, and started work on another one. I sketched in the rough outline of the female figure lightly, then worked on the shape of the dress with slightly heavier strokes. A V-neck; quite a simple straight shape ending just below the knee. Short sleeves to the elbow. I went on sketching, filling in the detail; then I paused, looking at it.

The design was very basic; no flair in sight. It was similar to the garment I'd bought in town that afternoon. I hadn’t even realised I was doing it. I gazed at it for a long time, then I curled my lower lip into the gap between my teeth and held it there in my bite.

I blushed a little.

Then very carefully, I went back to working on the drawing, only this time I widened the hips of the figure that was meant to be me. I used the rubber to make alterations. I increased the size of the bust; added a little fold to the stomach. The arms grew thicker, the legs fatter. And as I drew I got that same tingling sensation I'd felt that morning except it was a little sharper now, in the privacy of my own thoughts.

The hair on the sketched figure was full and fair; wavy. I used the pencil to straighten it; to darken it; adding a fringe. Then I drew in black rings over each eye: the glasses.

And then the transformation was complete.

The sketch me had been turned into a duplicate of Melissa, wearing a bloated version of the dress I’d bought.

I pictured it in its bag on the kitchen side and wondered how it would feel to put it on.

Nobody would know if I went down and did it now. I wasn’t expecting any visitors.

But it didn’t... feel right... to do it by myself.

I frowned, feeling very odd and confused.

I got up and walked downstairs; went through into the kitchen. The bag was exactly where I’d left it next to the other purchase I'd made at the big industrial-scale shoe shop on Ockham trading estate.

It would be so easy to pull it out and slip it on. I could put the matching shoes on too and clean up the kitchen. I'd left it in a mess from my evening meal.

But I didn't do it. I left it in there.

Instead I went to the fridge and opened it. Even though I'd known Katherine was shopping for food for me, I’d also stopped into Ockham Tesco to buy enough extras to fill the fridge.

It wasn’t that long since I’d eaten but I felt uncannily peckish. I took out a loaf of bread, the butter, a packet of ham, some rocket, tomatoes and lettuce. Careful to cut straight I sliced two pieces of bread, hesitated, then cut two more.

I stood looking at them, wondering what I was doing, then made up two generous ham sandwiches. Not thinking too deeply about it I poured a pint of Coke from the bottle in the fridge and tipped a bag of salted McCoy’s onto the plate.

Then I took the plate and glass and walked through to the lounge.






10 comments:

  1. So pleased you have returned to this theme. The relative 'reality' of this story is what makes it particularly exciting and the theme of this body swap feels real. In fact it is more of an identity swap, so it allows you to explore those issues more than in a 'magical' body swap. Enjoying it so very much and looking forward to seeing it published - Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. As you may have noticed, I generally prefer magical changes, simply because the focus can be taken away from the justification and placed on the results and the reactions. It's nice to do normal for a change though certainly.

      Delete
  2. As always in Cleaner, the details and thoughts are beautiful.

    I love the way you tell it; how you can take us on a journey through her mind without any dialogue, just the subtle things she thinks and does, not even apparently meaning to. It is powerful stuff. Oh yeah and when she bites her lip.... mmm, bite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Thanks. I sometimes worry that I use internal monologue too much but it seems critical to understand the decision-making process of this strange situation.

      Delete
    2. I'd say the internal monologues are one of your strengths :-) It is, to me, highly illustrative of the dilemmas facing the characters.. I love it :-) - Mike

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mike! You just won yourself a virtual hug.

      Here it comes...

      Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmah!

      Delete
  3. I love the way she sketches herself and then alters it until she "becomes" Melissa. So very graphic. I think the internal dialogue is crucial to the plot and is what makes your writing so enjoyable to read.
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finntasia. It's now a three way hug.

      Delete
  4. Her appetite seems to have already adjusted. what's next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell. But there's a big difference between having the odd extra and going all out to pile on the pounds.

      Delete