Friday 11 July 2014

Cleaner: Chapter Three - Part One

Elbow Grease

1

MELISSA

Two days after I’d last been at Dahlia Western’s house, Summertop, I rode the bus across the river out of Barton and up along the valley edge toward Pinecrest.

It was another sunny day and for a change I found the journey pleasant. Normally I hated it. I hated any kind of travel to work because it was time I wasn’t getting paid and it was time wasted.

Today the journey seemed filled with promise. After our escapades the other day, going back to the big house was an unknown quantity; a mystery waiting to unfold. How would Dahlia act? Would she want to do it again? Would she be different with me? Would it be embarrassing?

Knowing my luck, she would not only be ashamed of what she’d suggested; she’d fire me for good measure. That was my life all over.

The bus dropped me off and I walked up the lane the rest of the way, climbing the steep drive. I tended not to use the front door of the house. I had keys for the side. More appropriate for someone of my station. I might just as easily have been a servant in an old stately home, the respect I'd got. I’d been to visit a big old house like that in Yorkshire when I was a little girl visiting my aunt. The stories they had told about the way servants were treated were horrifying. But really, how different was that from my life now?

There wasn’t a sound in the house as I shut the door and listened. I hadn’t seen Dahlia’s car on the drive, though it could have been put away in the garage. She was probably out shopping or something, or visiting that brother of hers. She might even be away. Nobody bothered to tell me anything.

I walked round toward my cleaning cupboard but stopped dead when I saw Dahlia, not out at all but standing in the corridor, almost as though she’d been waiting.

“Oh, sorry Miss Western,” I said. I didn’t think anybody was in.”

“Hello Melissa,” she replied. “I... Hello.”

There was an awkward silence.

“I was just... How are you today?” she asked.

She never asked me how I was. She barely spoke to me. I shrugged uncomfortably. “Fine.” The pause that followed dragged on again until I found myself asking, “You?”

“Yes. I’m fine too.” She smiled primly and again there was an awful silence.

I made to go toward my cupboard under the stairs and she started to move at the same time, stepping in front of me by accident. There was a frozen second of indecision, then we both tried to go the other way, coming up blocked again.

Both Dahlia and I chuckled awkwardly then she put her feet together and gestured for me to pass first. I smiled curtly then walked on and she started to walk away from me.

Five steps on it came back to me, what I'd been thinking when I scrubbed the classroom floor in my other job two days earlier and I stopped.

“Er, Miss Western?”

She stopped too and looked back at me.

I don’t think I'd ever been involved in such a stilted exchange that this had become. Dahlia’s face was pinched but she raised her eyebrows in query.

I knew I shouldn’t ask – it wasn’t my place to. Who was I to broach such a weird subject with her, my boss?

But I saw myself on my hands and knees, scrubbing that floor again, and I said, “If you want, we can switch places again.”

She stared back at me, her thoughts rattling almost audibly.

I regretted coming out with it.

She looked almost angry.

Then she gave a smile every bit as timid as mine had been and said, “Alright Melissa. I think I'd like that.”







30 comments:

  1. Lovely. I had to read this right over again to enjoy it all the more.. The awkwardness between them is so tangible, you are almost cringing reading it, but then totally grinning as well.
    so blatant that they're both thinking the same thing, it's right there between them, but it's an undercurrent; an unspoken taboo.

    Good on Melissa for putting it on the table.. She who dares:)


    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Melissa is going to be the dominant one in this relationship with dahlia being the submissive one.this is going to be. Delicious. I am going to read this story from the very beginning again .you are such a tease leaving the reader wanting more but having to wait

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. it could be that way, but I have a feeling that control is an illusion. any character who seems to be in charge is heading for a fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everything is as easy as it seems certainly.

      Delete
  4. a big old house in Yorkshire, gotta love the inside reference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit John, I was hoping I would be first to spot the reference to THAT house in Yorkshire. ;-)
      Finntasia x

      Delete
    2. Oh, oh, oh and who is her aunt?
      Bet that was just a red herring! :-)
      Finntasia x

      Delete
    3. Her Aunt?? I was more wondering who that brother of hers might be... x

      Delete
    4. Heh heh. I was hoping you guys would notice that.

      Hmmm. Who could her aunt be?

      Delete
    5. And as for the brother...

      Delete
    6. do we know what Melissa's last name is?

      Delete
    7. Er... I think I've written it, but after where you're up to. I get confused.

      Delete
    8. Is it? How'd you know that John? I don't recall it being mentioned... x

      Delete
    9. ...oh yeah you mean like Burt!? Sorry and ha ha :) x

      Delete
    10. Aunty Mavis? Aunty Hattie? Auntie Gladys? The list is endless!
      Finntasia x

      Delete
    11. Oh my days, getting confused over which story we're even in now... But loving them both as much as each other so, who cares!?

      Delete
    12. Well I'll just warn you that I wasn't cunning enough to plan it like that so there's nothing definite in place for you to speculate over too thoroughly. As yet. We'll see. If there is a link I would expect it to be a bit more subtle than that. And don't forget that Lady Ann is set over a hundred years earlier. No one can be in the modern stories directly (sadly).

      Delete
    13. they don't have to still be alive. someone born in the next generation, say 1920s could still be alive in the 1990s and if Melissa is late twenties, she could have childhood memories of them from before they passed.

      Delete
    14. In the late 1950s I was in digs with an old couple in Welwyn Garden City. Mrs Edwards was in her 80s and had been 'in service' in London before she married and she hated the aristocracy because of the contempt in which they held their staff. So I have a direct link with conditions that existed 100 years ago. My grandfather (I just remember him) was born about 1855, too - my father was the youngest in the family over 20 years younger than his brother. It's surprising how few jumps are needed to get back a long time.

      For US readers Mr Edwards and Mrs Edwards brother went to the us as bricklayers to help rebuild San Francisco after one of the earthquakes.

      Robyn Hoode

      Delete
  5. Short and sweet, but oh so amazingly tense. Leaving us wanting more again Ms Finn.
    Read it three times to draw out every little achingly embarrassing nuance.
    Gonna read it again!
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'm glad you're enjoying following the serials!

      Delete
  6. Incidentally, why Elbow Grease when neither of them have lifted a finger? And will you be sharing the same scene from Dahlis's perspective? That would be cool.
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elbow Grease is the title of the whole chapter, not just that episode. Which might give us a hint of the tasks ahead...

      Delete
  7. I am not being cheeky... if we spot any tiny errors.. do you want to know about it here?

    I made to go toward my cupboard under the stairs and she started to (mover) at the same time

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, Thanks but it's probably not worth pointing out every typo as I'd be getting a deluge and every book gets two to three proof reads before going to press. Thanks though. I like a bit of cheekiness.

      Delete