Tuesday 22 July 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Three - Part Four

MELISSA

The new clothes made me look a whole lot better but I had no illusions. I was still ugly.

Right now that didn’t matter though. Right now I was going to be paid to lounge about in my boss’s house while she scurried round doing my job.

She was quiet behind me as we descended the stairs. I wasn’t surprised. What had surprised me was that she’d really wanted to do it again. She had to be mental or something. Though I did relish the turnaround myself. It was going to be lovely to put my feet up and imagine this really was all mine.

Her reasons for wanting to do it eluded me, but I wasn’t complaining. I was just glad I’d given her that nudge. I suspected she wouldn't have gone through with it if I hadn’t.

When we reached the hall we stopped and floundered, unsure of our respective roles. It seemed she was teetering again in indecision but I gave her a reassuring smile and said, “I’ll go and watch some TV. You’ll find some rubber gloves under the stairs.”

She smiled curtly and turned to go and I almost expected her to curtsy. I was amazed by the effect the clothes had had on her. Partnered with her intentions, they’d made her into a different person, as though her stature and presence had been diminished. I watched her go, reflecting on that; wondering if that meant my own presence had been increased.

Obviously this was just a game – it couldn’t be more than that – we wouldn’t surely be doing this again. If I pushed it then she’d break character and kick me out. But it felt as though in an understated way, I was the boss now and she the cleaner. I know that was the game but it really felt like it.

I shook my head in wonder, smiling to myself, then walked to the back of the house and went into the lounge.

On Monday I'd been in here cleaning. Now it was suddenly “my” lounge.

It was a big room; really ostentatious, with facing sofas and a grand piano. There was a huge fireplace against one wall with a TV hanging above it. I sat down with some satisfaction and reached for the remote, turned it on and started flicking through channels.




20 comments:

  1. You make sure you relish every moment Melissa. :-)
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creating relishment is what Emmas do best!

      Delete
  2. I am loving this. Absolutely brilliant how the change of status is explicit in that one piece of perfectly crafted dialogue: "I'll do this... You'll do that" Go Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately for all your readers such a small piece.
    You keep us really and truly in agony dear Emma.
    I loved the rubber gloves part. now only the apron is missing to complete the picture.
    Looking forward to Saturday for the continuation.
    Monica G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting characters to wear rubber gloves is what Emmas do best!

      Delete
  4. As I have said before miss Finn you are a tease leaving your readers wanting more. Well done.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teasing is what Emmas do best!

      Delete
    2. and you are a master at it.

      rob

      Delete
    3. (Flashes eyes in alluring manner)

      Delete
  5. just a nudge. that's all it takes to knock of boulder off a cliff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong. And as they always say, nudging is what Emmas do best!

      Delete
  6. Such fun as always... I have taken the plunge and bought all your TF stuff on Amazon. Simply terrific! Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I say, you won't regret it!
      Finntasia x

      Delete
  7. Yay Mike! Good call, that will keep you thoroughly entertained... so compelling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That's great news Mike. Drop me an email to let me know how you get on with that. It looks like taking the plunge is what Mikes do best!

      Delete
  8. Constantly creating entertaining stories, that's what a very singular Emma does best!
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete