Sunday 13 July 2014

Lady Ann's Folly: Chapter Four - Part Five

As Hattie descended the stairs she heard a commotion coming from the front door and stopped in alarm when she saw Powell, the butler, talking to who appeared to be none other than Mavis herself.

“Please,” she was saying. “She ‘as somethin’ of mine. I’ve got to get it back off her.”

Hattie knew that it was really Mavis in her sister’s body but to see this girl and know that it was really Ann inside was equally baffling.

“Be off with you girl,” snapped Powell. “You have no right to be here. Go back to your inn and do what you do best.”

“No! Listen, you! I ‘afta speak to ‘er right now! Go and fetch er if you won’t let me in!”

“You clearly don’t appreciate your position my girl,” said Powell sternly. “This is Griply Hall. You are not fit to clean the boots of the lord and ladies who live here. If you do not vacate the premises immediately I will have the dogs set on you.”

Hattie laughed then covered her mouth. Knowing the truth and seeing the look of horror on this peasant girl’s face was the funniest thing she had ever seen. Before she could stop herself she descended the last few steps and walked to join them. She simply had to see her idiotic sister up close.

“What’s going on here Powell?” she asked, diverting the old man’s attention back to her.

“Apologies m’lady,” he said. “This riff raff is causing a nuisance.”

“Let me have a look at the girl,” said Hattie. Powell gave her access, stepping to the side.

Ann... or Mavis... looked panic-stricken; desperate for someone to listen to her. And well she should. If Hattie’s theory was correct, the longer she stayed in the barmaid’s body, the more like her she’d become.

“What do you want?” asked Hattie, trying not to smile.

“I... I need to speak to... to her ladyship, Lady Ann.”

Her ladyship! It was all too comical, it really was.

“Oh do you now?” she replied. “On what matter?”

“On... a private matter... m’lady.”

The term of deference was even more hilarious but Hattie didn’t show it. “Who are you?” she demanded. She wanted to hear Ann say it.

“I’m... I’m Mavis Gibbs... miss. I... I work as a barmaid down t’Dog & Pony.” And as she spoke there was more than a smidgeon of the Yorkshire clodhopper turn of phrase. Hattie smirked, loving the punishment Ann was getting. This would teach her to laugh at Hattie’s misfortune. And it would teach her for always being so superior. Hattie had lived her whole life under her sister’s shadow. This turnaround was most gratifying.

“Powell,” she said, “see to it that this baggage is sent away. She is not to be allowed to speak to Lady Ann. Ensure all the doors and windows are locked.”

“No,” begged the girl. “Please miss. I just need to see er for a minute.”

“If she does not leave immediately then call for my father, the Earl. I am sure he will be more than willing to see to it that this peasant is flogged for her impudence.”

Hattie turned and walked away, grinning to herself as behind her Ann begged to be let in and Powell saw her off. She was laughing as soon as she passed out of sight and unable to see straight or even go on walking she was giggling so much a moment later.




18 comments:

  1. Hattie has total control. wait what was that I said about control? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey there's no love lost between Hattie and Ann then. Hattie is mean to her big sis.... Quite happy to send her off to a life that isn't her own without a second thought apart from how hilarious it all is. Mean little minx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well sibling connections can be complicated. And Hattie probably only sees it as a short term punishment. It won't get out of hand.

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love a little sibling rivalry?! What a mare!
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can Hattie do this? She should keep this Mavis close to see her get humiliated and punished every day and night.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I guess. If I was doing this to my sister I'd probably want to keep my distance in case she tried to "get me"!

      Delete
    2. not yet, Mavis is beneath the notice of the Neville family so for now since Hattie is pretending to not know what is going on she can't "notice" "Mavis"

      Delete
  5. But will mavis as Anne throw a spanner into the works as she becomes more like Anne

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only time will tell... cause I ain't gonna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I said before miss finn you are a tease and I like it.This is going to be a very very good story.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allow me to pull aside the bushel my light is concealed by for a moment and heartily agree.

      Delete
  8. And what a particularly attractive bushel it is too. [giggles]
    Finn(naughty)tasia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed particularly naughty.

      But you've reminded me... I need to trim my bushel sometime. It's covering up too much light.

      Delete
  9. Let me know if I can help.
    [giggles uncontrollably]
    Finntasia x

    ReplyDelete