Wednesday 30 July 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Three - Part Six



The kitchen took me a long time.

I had been very careless over the past two days and there was plenty of mess. I cleared away the empty wrappers first and piled the pots ready to go in the dishwasher then wiped down the tops, tipping the crumbs into my cupped palm. There were plenty of bits on the floor. I fetched the broom from my cleaning cupboard...

...my cleaning cupboard...

... and set to work brushing them into a neat pile, then I got down into a crouch and swept them onto a dustpan.

I wondered if it would be harder to crouch down like that if I were as fat as Melissa. Surely the extra folds of fat round my belly would restrict my movement and the extra weight itself would make everything a terrible strain. How much did she weigh? It had to be an enormous amount compared to me. Was she one and a half times my weight? More?

Some of the containers I'd left out contained food. There was a packet that had contained six chocolate éclairs when I'd bought it. There were only two left now. I'd scoffed the others in front of the TV last night. Glancing toward the door, as though I might get in trouble if Melissa found me out, I pulled one out of the packet and pushed the end of it into my mouth. I kept pushing, squeezing as much in as I could before I bit so that chewing it was laborious but provided a massive dose of delicious flavour. I’d barely swallowed that when I put the second piece in, forcing it again so that it pushed my cheeks out, until it was all in my mouth; a whole éclair in two mouthfuls. I ate like a bird usually.

Then I got back to work, still chewing.

I was about to load the dishwasher, but it struck me that the plates would come a lot cleaner if I did them by hand. And it was only right that I do a good job. This was important. I had my standards. I didn’t want to let my employer down.

I filled the sink with piping hot water, pulled my marigolds tighter and started on the pile, humming to myself.

I felt so at peace; totally relaxed; thinking only of the task before me.

It was wonderful.

15 comments:

  1. ... and there's still an eclair left to eat :) I think this may be the point where Melissa starts to take charge for a while - I wonder if Emma thinks the same?

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly looks like it might be heading that way...

      Delete
  2. Where's Melissa!? Did she see her, mopping beforehand...? Is she watching..?

    the tension is building here Emma. All set for some timely critique; enter Melissa. 'I didn't want to let my employer down' oh dear, then, I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa may have seen her but you'll have to wait for the next episode to find out.

      Delete
  3. no no, not yet. don't rush things. the tension has to build a little more. Dahlia is still a little embarrassed and Melissa doesn't want to rock the boat they are both still feeling there way toward possibilities at this stage. it is too soon for decisions at this point. this is still about feelings not plans.
    Have some patience (who the hell am I and what have I done with John) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh John well said. :)

      I think my friend that you have mastered the principle of deferred gratification in a nutshell here. I've yet to learn such patience but it's on the way. 'still feeling the way towards possibilities' mmmmm :)

      Delete
    2. (Giggle)

      Yeah John. You're showing remarkable restraint. But you're right. It shouldn't be rushed.

      Dandelion, each episode should be like a gently caressing finger, working up your inner leg step by delicious step.

      Delete
  4. Notice dahlia is wondering how much Melissa weighes and then scoffs down two eclaires

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm the slow, psychological adjustments needed for the other changes to follow.. delicious - and I am not talking of the eclairs though I do feel the need for one now! - MikeW

    ReplyDelete
  6. We certainly are at the right path now. Dahlia is in the correct frame of mind for Melissa to take over as her 'employer'. Let's hope the Melissa will be able to pick all the right signs that Dahlia projects.
    Dying to read the next part!
    monica G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it Monica. Slow but steady steps lead from here to there.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy these stories in the same way I enjoy an eclair: long, slowwww, delicious with a sat-is-fy-ingggg outcome.
    Finntasiaaaahhhh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. There's a long way to go before the outcome yet but I think it will satisfy you.

      Delete