Friday 20 June 2014

The Future of Cleaner

Cleaner is coming along very well and I thought I'd take a moment to fill you guys in on my plans for it.

A month or so ago, I was thinking about publishing a cleaned up version of Cleaner on Amazon (heh - see what I did there?) and I sat down to reread it to see what needed doing. My plan was to not spend too much time and just get it out there. 

What I found though was that the opening chapter skimped so much on detail that to really do it justice I needed to put a lot more work in. 

Impulsively I decided to release it as my next serial, but as I got started on the expanded version that would now become a full novel, I realised that to really get to the bottom of this bizarre and kinky exploration of the human psyche, I was going to have to REALLY expand it. 

If you've read the original story, you will know that there are three distinct flows of action. I won't "spoil" the story for those that haven't, but suffice to say, the first two story arcs take up one episode and six pages of story. 

As I started to flesh these out in outline I had a third realisation.

Really, to do these arcs full justice, I'm reconking that what we're really looking at length-wise is three novels. 

The meat of the original story would comprise the third book in this trilogy. 

I quaked in fear at the thought of this initially, but then I started thinking about it, filling in more of the detail that would be required to transform those two first story arcs into something detailed and gripping. Then I started to get quite excited. 

So what we're looking at - so you can set your expectations - are three distinct book-length serials. Each will be constructed with their own rises and falls of tension and suspense and will each build toward a climax. With every book, the story will move on down the strange and twisted paths that Dahlia and Melissa have embarked upon until they reach their gripping conclusion in book three. 

There's going to be a LOT more going on than in the original story and I'll be working hard to make every chapter a page-turner. 

As per usual, I will work on the story ahead of it being released and will probably stick each book on Amazon as I complete them. That way, if readers can't wait they can always pick it up, or they can continue following the serial on here. Basically it will be the same as we did for Lady Ann's Holiday. 



So it's quite exciting hopefully. I'm really enjoying weaving the new plotlines into the story and look forward to hearing what you think. 

As always, you can follow me on Twitter @emmafinnuk for daily updates on this and other stories I'm working on. So click Follow on the Twitter feed to your left and I'll see you there!

21 comments:

  1. Cant wait to read the finished version. Maybe you could do the same for other old stories like turn and nichole and betty.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's conceivable for Turning Round, though I can't think of much to expand it rather than carrying the ending on a bit.

      I won't ever do it for Nichole and Betty because of it being a real person. I guess I could reimagine it with a made-up actress though...

      Delete
    2. I can't wait either but I suppose I'll have to :)

      I've always been fascinated by role reversal stories and 'Cleaner' is a near perfect example. I always found it slightly unsatisfactory for the same reasons you seem to ie its brevity and the glossing over over of detail which tends to cover the sense of horror it has.

      I've also sometimes wondered how it might be if suddenly everyone you knew (family, friends, work colleagues) denied who you were and treated you as a complete stranger or interloper. How would someone cope with that and the need to establish a new identity whilst, at the same time, trying to re-establish the old one. Just a thought :)

      Robyn

      Delete
    3. Yeah. That's a nice, if creepy, idea. There's a very creepy old Roger Moore film that has a very similar premise you could seek out. Can't remember what it's called I'm afraid. He starts to suspect he has a double living his life, arriving at meetings early and closing deals, etc. It's good.

      Delete
    4. Someone clever has told me that the film is The Man Who Haunted Himself. Look it up. it's cool.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you expanding your masterpiece.
    FinnFan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quite intrigued by the way you approach the new expanded version of CLEANER.
    Of course I'm looking forward to the gradual development of the two main characters.
    I love the subtle and gradual changes they happened in the 1st chapter.
    It's an excellent start for a realistically interesting story.
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked myself if you are the author of "The domestication of a parisian bourgeois"?

      Delete
    2. If you are, then your story is fantastic! I think I actually recommended here some time ago.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Monica. I'm quite curious to see how it will develop. At this stage it's as much a mystery to me as it is to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope someday you will do the same with CLASS. That was my first story of yours. I love role reversals as well, but what I loved most about this story was reading from the man's perspective as he goes from rich man to poor man...plus it was a story with a transformation into an overweight male, which I particularly love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I absolutely LOVE Class to bits. It vies with Lady Ann in my mind for top slot.

      Again, it's just about perfect as it is so I'm not sure how it could be extended, but one day perhaps...

      Delete
  6. can't wait. I don't normally think about the "realism" side since your characters are captivating they always feel real, no matter the plot. much like with fish more Finn is always better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to keep my situations believable within the altered reality of the stories, but thanks a lot!

      I was half worried there would be an uproar at the very idea of me stretching the story across three books, but I guess it's important to aim for the best possible tale. The story itself should determine the length naturally rather than me sitting down and saying, "Right. I will write this in 60,000 words!"

      Delete
    2. goals are fine things for motivation, but for what its worth I have never thrown a book away screaming with rage, how dare the author go past X word length. only publishers care about word length and they all suck! (emoticon for sticking ones tongue out) :)

      Delete
    3. They surely do. I had to trim a few expletives out of my Success book when it came to describing them. (emoticon for grinning while waggling eyebrows)

      Delete
  7. I see what you mean about nichole and betty but maybe you could do another book of short stories intertwining some of your older short stories such as nichole and betty turn etc changing nicholes name and maybe meeting other characters fleetingly in the stories.I also love class it was the first of your stories that I came across and loved it

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have short term plans to release five more books of short stories and I came up with an idea for a new trilogy over breakfast today.

      Delete
  8. great can't wait to read them

    Rob

    ReplyDelete