Sunday 29 June 2014

Cleaner: Chapter Two - Part Two

Sweet City was the kind of shop I never went in.

Being a model wasn’t something that just happened. A long-standing career as a model wasn’t something you fell into. It required vigilance and discipline; the studious avoidance of sugary temptation.

Sweet City was the anathema to that. It was a hall of temptation and decadence. Every single item in store was something forbidden. It was almost like it was filled with the fruits of the Devil: damnation disguised as desire. All my life I had lived in a desert-like place where chocolate and sweets were frowned upon to say the least. Now I was standing in this oasis with no one around to frown at me, my mouth started salivating and my eyes went round.

I shouldn’t be in here, I thought. I certainly shouldn’t buy anything.

But I moved to the shelves along the wall and started walking along, looking at the candy walking sticks and penny sweets, the chocolate bars and liquorice.

I thought of my mum’s old saying again but that made my mouth water all the more, remembering the dress in my bag. But despite that I did manage to restrain myself. I wanted to pick up one of the big paper bags they had for gathering bountiful supplies. Instead, I deliberated for a long time and limited myself to one chocolate bar. That was better. I wasn’t going wild. A Mars. They had king size, fun size and normal. I knew I should get the fun size one, if that, but told myself the normal one would be fine.

I started toward the till and spotted the drinks fridge. I was thirsty. I deliberated for a while then picked up a Diet Coke. I did need to be careful. A fantasy was one thing but I didn’t want to actually put on weight.

I walked up to the till and smiled at the girl standing there, then I walked back to the shelf and swapped my normal Mars for the king size one and traded my Diet Coke for the real thing.

I paid quickly, before I could change my mind again, then went out into the mall.

Out there I felt a mix of regret, disappointment in myself and anticipation.

I unwrapped the Mars and started chomping, working my way down it quickly, really enjoying the flavour that graced my tongue. Between bites I swilled my mouth with the Coke. It was ice cold and really fizzy and that first swallow was sublime. It tasted better that it was forbidden fruit.

I polished off the Mars bar quickly and emptied the Coke bottle, dropping the litter in the closest bin on my way back toward the car park. When they were gone I felt a bit down, wanting more but knowing I shouldn’t have even had that.

I was sick of feeling bad about it already. It wasn’t in my nature to question myself and I seemed to be doing it all the time today. I willed myself to stop beating myself up over it. One splurge wasn’t going to turn me into a fat woman.

Putting it out of my mind I just walked to the edge of the mall, feeling a little peckish now that my stomach had woken up.

There was a donut shop at the end of the row before the car park entrance. I stopped and eyed the display. They had a spectacular range of plain and iced donuts with all kinds of different centres. I hadn’t eaten a donut for years. My dad used to buy them for me and my brother when I was a little girl.

They did look delicious.

Shaking my head, I went on walking, but stopped ten yards on and looked back.

I hadn’t had one in eighteen years. And they had such a good range there.

I shrugged to myself then I started walking back the way I'd come toward the door.






10 comments:

  1. there was a potato chip advertising slogan I remember from when I was a kid: "one is never enough!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I guess if you've gone for years living with absolute discipline, once you open that gate it might be hard to manage the sudden flow of desire.

      Delete
    2. Particularly if part of you wants to throw caution in to the wind and go for it

      Delete
    3. I bet it would feel fabulously liberating if you decided to go for it.

      Delete
    4. its kind of like that moment when you decide that you aren't quitting smoking after all and puff deeply...ah, wait what were talking about? :)

      Delete
  2. Aah Emma I love this part. It's just... delicious. I like that she questions herself so much, then thinks again, then, well... does it anyway. Yum yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to this; the battle of wills that goes on in my head; I shouldn't have this or that, but then do it anyway! And then the guilt! Why do I have to feel the guilt?!
    Finntasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I was certainly writing thematically from personal experience.

      Delete