Wednesday 11 June 2014

Cleaner: Chapter One - Part Eleven



DAHLIA

I watched Melissa walk down the drive to the road from the upstairs window and turn left. Above and beyond the hedge on the other side of the lane, the town of Nockton spread out and up the opposite valley wall. The sun was high and it was a beautiful day with almost no haze. Every house was picked out in perfect detail.



It had been... wonderful... to play that silly game for a while. It was just such a shame that Katherine had to ruin it all.



I turned away from the window feeling slightly despondent and wandered back downstairs slowly, not feeling like going back through to the poolside again or reading my magazine. I wondered if I should go out; go on a little spending spree in the Tower Gates centre or, better, the row of boutiques in Farley. I could call in to visit my brother at the same time; see if he was around; though he probably wouldn’t be considering it was a week day. But no. I didn’t have the motivation to do any of that.



I gravitated instead to the kitchen and took out the things to make up a baguette: French bread, low fat spread, brie, rocket, tomatoes, red onion. I put it together, making a mess as I usually did but not caring about that. Melissa could always—



“Hmmm.”



What was to stop me dressing up again now? Pretending to be a cleaner again?



I frowned. I wasn’t sure why it was important but it wouldn’t be the same without Melissa present; without some kind of actual swap taking place.



There. I got that tinkle of sexual arousal again, telling me I'd hit the spot exactly.



Was I really that kinky? And shouldn’t I try to ignore such bizarre impulses?



I was a celebrity – even if I’d embraced my obscurity for a few years – I had standards to think of. I was better than this.



But that didn’t stop me picturing it happen again, letting my eyes go to half mast and my breathing settle.



Melissa lounging by the pool as I scurried round trying to make things tidy...



I smiled.



I had half a mind to pop out after lunch and see if I could find something to wear that would make me look more the part but not swamp me so terribly. Pretending I was Melissa was actually made harder by wearing such oversized clothes. From her perspective, her clothes fit or were actually tight. I could...



Yes. What if I went out and found something that would make me look more like her... and I could even buy something in her size that would make her look more like me.



“That’s crazy. I really shouldn’t encourage myself.”



But I had nothing better to do. And I didn’t have to go through with it. I could just enjoy buying the things and imagining. It didn’t mean I was going to take another step. Melissa wasn’t coming back for two days anyway.



I grinned. That was settled. I was really looking forward to the afternoon now. Really looking forward to it.



I finished making my lunch up and poured myself a grapefruit juice in a tall glass, set it out on a tray and decided to go out onto the patio. There was quite a bit of mess left when I was done but I hesitated before clearing it up, smiling mischievously.



That was the cleaner’s job. How delightful would it be to let the place go to seed a little so that if Melissa and I did do it again then there would really be a lot to contend with?



It was all so absurd, but it was only a harmless fantasy. I probably wouldn’t even do it again. I was just enjoying the possibilities.



I shrugged. That was settled.



I picked up my tray and started to walk out but stopped and looked back at the fridge. Instead of leaving I set the tray down and wandered back, opening it. I’d had a friend to visit the week before and Katherine had bought in a couple of Moorish chocolate desserts for it that we hadn’t got round to eating.



I thought about the cleaner and her huge bloated body; the dress and shoes that didn’t fit me properly. I stroked my own flat stomach, looking at these desserts. Then I took one out and set it on my tray with a teaspoon; thought better of it, and went back for the second.








15 comments:

  1. envy, pride, gluttony, lust, and sloth all while making a sandwich. this has possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does. This marks the end of chapter one. It's been a gradual unfolding of the possibilities up to now but the cogs are certainly turning in Dahlia's mind. Who knows what could happen the next time these two meet...

      Delete
  2. I read the original story yesterday but it was different from what I remembered. I remembered it as quite detailed and quite long but that's not the case. The changes are very glossed over and the characters of Topaz (Dahlia's name in the old story) and Melissa are only sketchily outlined. It all happens quite quickly on the page and time passes with little comment.

    This is much improved and Dahlia's thought processes are lingered over. I think her strange obsession and here reasons will be much clearer. As yet there's little about Melissa's feelings but that's hardly surprising as she isn't the one control ... yet. I always thought that the exchange of clothing was unsatisfactory because of their very different appearance and, particularly, body size. It looks like Dahlia's addressing that with her shopping expedition.

    Excellent start, Emma. I'm looking forward to the story's unfolding.

    Robyn Hoode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Robyn! It's always heartwarming to know I'm on the right track.

      I agree with you. Although the later parts of the original story are good, massive amounts of time are just "montaged." This version is going to be a lot meatier.

      I'm pleased people are liking the pacing. With any new project I take a while to find my feet before I can be sure I have taken the right angle of approach.

      And it can only get more engaging as things are taken further!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Robyn, great pace. Looking forward to the shopping expedition. I wonder what type of clothes will be considered the proper ones for Dahlia and Melissa in their new reversed roles. I also wonder if Dahlia is going to appear in front of Melissa dressed in her new 'cleaner's clothes' when Melissa comes back in two days time.
    Waiting with great inpatience for chapter 2.
    Monica G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Thanks Monica. I hadn't considered showing the shopping expedition itself but we'll see.

      And meanwhile, we have more Lady Ann's Folly!

      Delete
  4. I love the way you are telling this; Dahlia's thoughts, feelings and whims unfold seemingly at random. She doesn't quite know where she's going with this, but hey, the ideas keep on coming to her... this way we get to hang on her every change of heart.

    Can't wait to read the next chapter and sorely tempted to find that original story now that other readers keep mentioning... but not for now, I don't want to ruin it. I too am waiting with great impatience.

    Her character in this part is brilliantly drawn - no she won't have a dessert, yes, no... oh yes, she'll have two. A lovely picture of her wayward mind.

    “That’s crazy. I really shouldn’t encourage myself.” Oh yes you should, Dahlia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. Well the way her mind is going is so crazily different to the disciplined path she's always followed. It is HUGE for her to consider pursuing these odd cravings. It must be a very confusing time for her. But also an exciting and scary one.

      Delete
  5. Yeah. It's like, out of the blue, let's start playing a lovely kinky game. Why not, she has nothing to lose... although I'm doubtless that thinking will turn out to be erroneous on her part. Write some more of Cleaner soon, pleeease :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. But first in just eighteen minutes, we'll be having a bit more Lady Ann!

      Delete
  6. I have red the older version and i love it, you have a very good ideea to expand this good story. I like the tension of loosing and gaining control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. That switch in status and control is one of my favourite themes.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! I knew I shouldn't have read more than one at once. Now what am I gonna do?
    Well, read Lady Ann of course!

    ReplyDelete