Wednesday 10 September 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Five - Part Four



DAHLIA

I had allowed the house to get as messy as I could in the two days since Melisa had been here last so I had my work cut out for me.

I started in the kitchen, clearing up the cooking mess and washing the dishes by hand. I got the water piping hot then used my marigolds again. The floor was made of ceramic tiles. I got the mop and bucket and set to work, giving it a really good clean. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, especially because I was trying to do it to a high degree of fastidiousness. I was determined to be the best cleaner I could be and that involved getting down on my hands and knees and reaching under the cupboards with a dustpan and brush, scooping out the crumbs and bits that had fallen under there over time.

It was clear that Melissa had never done this and that gave me a warm feeling, knowing I was working even harder than she did.

It was hard doing it wearing the glasses but I persevered. Seeing the room in this distorted way made me really feel as though I'd stepped into a different life. It made my eyes ache somewhat and threatened to give me a headache, but I didn’t take them off.

When I was done on the floor I got a cloth and some more hot water and some Jif and set to work on the cupboard fronts. They were carved in enough detail to catch a lot of dust. It was difficult to get it really clean. Again I didn’t shirk. I worked carefully round the room, not leaving one door panel until I was sure I’d got it fully clean; no smears.

Getting the whole room spick and span took a surprisingly long time. It was getting on a bit when I finally stood back to look at my handiwork, the backs of my hands resting vertically on my hips. It was a pose I seldom used – I'd always thought it was a bit of an ignoble way to stand – and the unfamiliarity gave me a little buzz. There was no point putting on airs, after all, if I was only a humble cleaner.

Thinking that gave me another buzz, accompanied by a warmth of titillation in my nether regions that made me focus more on the way I was standing; what I had just been doing; what I was wearing: the dress, the pinny, the glasses, the wig. Focusing on them drew out the pleasure and I stood basking in it for a good long while.

But I was thirsty. I went to the fridge and took out a bottle of fruit smoothie, reaching for a glass. I got as far as curling my fingers round the glass before I stopped and pulled back.

I was supposed to be the cleaner. I couldn’t help myself to my boss’s expensive drinks, nor sip from her crystal glasses. There was a kettle in the cleaning cupboard that was meant for me.

I tutted, enjoying being put out in that way and started to put the smoothie bottle back in the fridge, but I paused again. Sometimes, during the day, Melissa would bring me a drink out to where I was sitting. It was rare – she probably didn’t think to do it very often – but it seemed like a reasonable part of my duties if I was the cleaner.

My lips curled up at the edges. Then I set the smoothie bottle back on the kitchen side and took down the glass. I poured a full glass and picked it up; thought better of it and rooted out a little circular tray and a paper doily. The doily had been left over from a party the year before but it looked perfect on the tray with the glass in its centre.

Being careful to keep it level, I left the kitchen and walked toward the back of the house, feeling increasingly nervous but also quite highly titillated.

I wasn’t sure where Melissa had ended up. I'd been working so hard, I hadn’t noticed. I checked the lounge, but in the doorway I caught sight of her to my left in the pool room, lying back on a sun lounger, a magazine resting on her knees.

She looked like she really owned the place. It was incredible. She seemed completely relaxed but also very much at home in that environment, especially with the clothes, hair and make-up. I wished she looked even more the part. And that I did. How magical would it have been to actually be Melissa, serving the beautiful Dahlia? I craved that impossible dream passionately.

Nerves jangled in the moments before she noticed me. Bringing her a drink was a new kink. Cleaning was one thing. Acting like a proper servant was... something else. I liked it. It gave me chills.

Taking a breath, I stepped into the pool room, holding the tray before me. Melissa saw me in her peripheral vision and looked up. The astonishment on her face turned immediately to pleasure, especially when I said, "I thought you might like a drink."

"Oh. Thank you. That's... lovely."

I smiled politely and presented the tray. Melissa took the drink and sipped, smiling contentedly. My smoothies were of the highest quality; sourced locally with fresh fruit. Melissa looked delighted.

I stood watching her until she noticed me. There was a long moment of searching eye contact; neither one of us being quite sure how this was supposed to play out; then I gave another little smile and backed away, heading for the door.

The moment I broke contact I got a surge of regret - not that I'd played this little charade, but that I'd enhanced it further. I wished that I'd called her Dahlia. The desire to do that was like a pinch in my larynx. But the further I walked away, the more I knew I'd missed my chance.

Maybe next time.

But no, damn it. I stopped. I looked back. Melissa was still watching my retreat. In a moment in which it seemed that the earth stopped revolving, I opened my lips and said, "Will that be all Dahlia?"

28 comments:

  1. How will Melissa answer I wonder

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have long to wait to find out. I don't think I'll be ready with Lady Ann in two days so it'll be more Cleaner.

      Delete
  2. Yes, she really has built up her new identity in her head and that is a big part of the sexual titillation she receives from it all .. it all rings so true to me: that building of the fantasy and then realising it like this. And as we all know, it will only get worse. - MikeW

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how small is the step form cleaner to servant. In Dahlia's case it was simply the offering of a drink to her 'employer' in a small tray. And yet is also a huge step because as a servant you have to interact more with your employer/mistress. As a cleaner you simply do your job staying away form the main scene.
    And I love the fact tha Dahlia crossed the line so fast.
    There is no way back now. The question is how far and how fast she will move forward.
    Only Emma knows that!

    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do?

      (Hurriedly looks through notes)

      Ah yes. I do indeed.

      And you're quite right. Another line has certainly been crossed. What is on the other side of that line though has yet to be revealed.

      Delete
  4. And something extra that just crossed my mind. Why not 'Miss Dahlia' instead of Dahlia? Wouldn't that be more appropriate for the servant to be to address her Mistress to be?

    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Terms of address are a bit trickier for a modern story as I want it to be realistic (to a degree). Miss Western perhaps...?

      Delete
    2. My parents had a cleaner, mostly because they lived 'over the shop' and were both heavily involved in the business. The cleaner was always Mrs Smith to us and my parents were always Mr or Mrs Hoode. She called us by our first names and we were expected to treat her with the respect an adult required in those days. She was with us for many years and became a friend of the family. For me, the big advantage was her feet were big enough for me to wear her shoes :)

      I've always disliked stories where the 'servant' (or sub) is required to call her mistress by that name. In reality a servants mistress would address her as Mrs/Miss/Ms X or madame (perhaps ma'am). In this case the new Melissa could address her fantasy mistress as Miss Dahlia, Miss Weston or simply madam but please not 'mistress'.

      After Melissa's reply of 'Absolutely' to Dahlia's suggestion that they should start the swap for real we have yet to find out how she's thinking now. I think the next mini-episode might reveal another step down the slippery slope for Dahlia. Perhaps a suggestion that Melissa 'lives in' for a while and they have an extended role swap?

      Thanks Emma. I (almost) forgive you for keeping us hanging on for an extra 24 hours :)

      Robyn

      Delete
    3. Thanks Robyn. That's very interesting. It will feed my thinking.

      Delete
  5. Emma,
    I do like the way that this is going, the more Dahlia experiments the more power she gives to Melissa. It will be even more interesting when Melissa starts to take control.
    Great work.
    BillA (in Greece)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! Control... It's an enticing concept.

      Delete
  6. Emma,
    The way I see it, given that we`ve already decided that Melissa is not stupid, she`s going to realise that there`s something to be gained from the "situation". She will surely come to understand what is driving Dahlia`s fantasies and use that knowledge to take control of the situation......or maybe not?
    BillA (still in Greece and it`s raining, obviously)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I think you could be right there but it still remains to be seen. And surely there is a very delicate balance at work. A little bit of play like this doesn't constitute a life-changing surrender of authority or finances. And the game remains very low impact for now. Melissa will have to tread carefully if she wants to take more control than she's given.

      Delete
    2. I saw a TV show (CSI) once where one of the characters claimed that the submissive is in charge, because they are the one who decide when its over.

      Delete
    3. Ah. You "saw a TV show," eh?

      (Just kidding)

      This is an interesting feature actually. The more I think about it, the more I come to realise that assuming a role doesn't have to mean anything to the greater reality outside that moment, shared or otherwise; however real it may seem at the time.

      But to actually pass a point of no return; where the new identity might actually take hold for real...?

      That is kind of staggering in its enormity.

      Delete
    4. Particularly if it is a easy step after another until the wow moment

      Delete
    5. Heh heh.

      Yeah. I like the idea of a tiny step changing everything. I was about to say that in real life it would have to be something profound, but actually the tiniest act can have far reaching and wonderful effects.

      Delete
    6. Going with fictional precedents, did you see 'sliding doors'?

      Delete
    7. Yeah, and I spotted the transformational aspects. Good film.

      Delete
    8. yeah one of the things I always like was how small the initial divergence was, a little girl playing on the stair pulled away from the railing by her mother or not.

      Delete
  7. Emma,
    You`re right of course, I was looking further down the road to where they are now. I`m sure Melissa won`t rock the boat by pushing to far to early. The original Cleaner didn't see Melissa take over until after their "swap" though and I can`t see her holding off that long this time as she seems more "savvy" in this iteration.
    BillA, (no longer rain, full on apocalyptic thunderstorm now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bill,
      That rain sounds awful and cool. I think you're correct... but careful of those original story spoilers! :)
      Emma

      Delete
  8. Emma,
    Oops! sorry, I hang my head in shame.(really).
    BillA,(You have to see it to appreciate it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries.

      I went to Greece earlier in the year and it was somewhat on the cloudy side then too.

      Delete