Thursday 4 September 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Five - Part Two



MELISSA

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I got off the buss and walked up to Summertop.

Dahlia had obviously changed her mind and seemed more eager than ever to do our switch but this turnabout had left me feeling oddly displaced all evening. I don't know why. Why should it effect me emotionally whatever she planned to do? But it did. I still felt an edgy irritability rather than any kind of delighted expectation. But I'd still come. Dutifully. What else was I going to do?

I let myself in the side door and listened. Nothing.

Dahlia wasn't waiting for me on the way to the cleaning cupboard as she had been on Wednesday. I cleared my throat as though to call out but felt silly doing so. I was sick of these weird mixed signals. Maybe I should try and find a different job that wasn't so crazy...

I was here to clean. That was what I should be getting on with.

I went into the cleaning cupboard and shut the door after me, but the second I did I heard hurried footsteps above me, pattering down the stairs. Seconds later the cleaning cupboard door came open and Dahlia was standing there grinning, her hair out of place, her eyes bright.

"There you are," she said. "I was looking out for you but I popped to the loo and missed you. Do you want to come upstairs?"

I'd just flicked the kettle on but I shrugged and followed her up.

"I went shopping after I called you yesterday," she said, climbing the stairs ahead of me, "and I bought some things that I thought would make it better."

She led me into the bedroom.

The bed was covered. I stopped, staring, as soon as I saw it.

"I bought you several more outfits to wear when you're... when you're... me. They're pretty; look." Dahlia picked up one dress after another and held them diagonally across two arms to display them. They looked like they were my size but they were gorgeous. They must have cost a bomb! It really looked like she was serious.

There were bags of items on the bed as well as some outfits in her size. These weren't quality tailored items. They were very plain and subdued colours and I saw a pinny among them. There were different shoes to match the outfits intended for both of us. It was dizzying: the scale of it. This wasn't something she wanted to do once more to get it out of her system. She'd clearly thrown a lot of thought and cash at this, and the three visible outfits for each of us give this a more extended shelf life for this wacky switch than I'd believed possible, even after she told me so on the phone the day before.

"This'll loo lovely on you," she said. "Put it on."

I did so, climbing into the dress and marvelling at what it did for my figure. And this was without trying it on properly at point of sale. Dahlia clearly had a fantastic eye when it came to judging sizes and fitting. The outfit from Wednesday hadn't been a perfect fit but she'd clearly spotted where it fell short and made adjustments.

It was fun to dress up and she helped me with my make-up again, this time coaching me through the process as I went, teaching me. I was only sorry I wasn't as slim as her.

Dahlia stood back to admire her handiwork and we smiled at one another but her stomach caught my eye and I glanced down. She looked like she'd put on weight round her middle - quite a lot of it. I frowned, glancing up at her face again. She had seen where I was looking and was blushing, but... There was something odd about the stomach. I wasn't sure what. I didn't give it too much thought.

Dahlia gave me the room to stand up and turned back to the bed and the items meant for her. I looked too, shaking my head mildly in disbelief, then she opened a carrier bag and took something out, holding it up and my surprise at the morning's events doubled.

It was a wig. A blond curly-haired wig, and a good quality one. It must have cost a packet. I didn't understand the significance right away, crinkling my nose in query. Then it sunk in and I opened my mouth, said nothing and shut it again.

"I thought it might help us... to pretend," said Dahlia.

Was she serious?

"Try it on," she said.

"Uh... Okay."

Dahlia smiled and came round behind me, turning me to face the mirror. She looked like she had experience with the things. I'd never worn one in my life. She worked it into position at the back of my head then slipped the front into place, fiddling with the dangling locks to position it properly.

I'd never had hair this long in my life and never blond or curly. It made me look completely different. It was uncanny. I didn't look like her - even if that was her intent. Miracles didn't really happen. But it did make me look fabulous - especially with the clothes and make-up. I didn't look like Dahlia but for the first time I did look like I suited the way I was dressed. I was still grossly obese but I looked like a rich woman. I looked like this really was my house.

I smiled at myself and then I smiled at Dahlia.

It was wonderful. I really liked it.

19 comments:

  1. A big step up! So if Melissa looks like a rich woman who really lives at Summertop what will Dahlia look like? This is sure to change the relationship between the two women at least during the swap. Will Dahlia extend Melissa's hours, perhaps including an overnight (with overtime of course)? That would really make the game more realistic.

    This is great, Emma. I just wish it was Kindle-ready :) I'd cross your palm with my credit card like a shot.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be an October release if things calm down a bit at this end. We'll see.

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to the change in dynamic.

      Delete
  2. You left the best part of them changing roles for the end. Dahlia's plain outfits and a pinny among them, how perfect! I hope Melissa remembered to bring a spare pair of glasses.
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're certainly going further than ever before.

      Delete
  3. and why not? she can stop anytime she wants to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Emma's sense of timing, as always, seems perfectly attuned to the mood. I think this chapter is going to be amazing. The whole weight gain thing is fascinating.. is Melissa going to force her to eat more? In a kind of 'hey are you taking the mick" moment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who said anything about force? :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I'm not sure force is going to be necessary.

      Delete
  5. Love this, Melissa is really building up her confidence, looking fabulous and feeling every bit the lady of the house. Absolutely can't wait to see if she starts dishing out a few orders to Dahlia.... Also like the bit at the beginning where she wonders how and why this should be affecting her on an emotional level. It's like she's pensive, almost itching to step up and take control... Cannot wait to read some more of this story Emma! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The changes in Melissa are just as interesting but I a totally different way.

      Delete
  6. One thing that doesn't ring quite true in this story is when Melissa is supposed to be writing her account as here. She's supposed to be an uneducated woman with little schooling yet she writes well and uses words someone like her would b unlikely to use. The second paragraph above. for example.

    Not sure how you get round this without making the story hard to read. so I guess Finnfans will have to accept it in the interests of an enjoyable read. Perhaps it's the penalty of writing in the first person.

    In a similar vein, I wonder if Melissa will need elocution lessons in order to sound like she now looks - a rich woman. Similarly, Dahlia will need to speak like someone from Barton and perhaps need a speech therapist as actors do when adopting a role.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's precedent, consider Shakespeare (comparison intentional ;)), every chamber maid has the vocabulary of a literature professor

      Delete
    2. Hi Robyn.

      Basically there are different approaches a writer can take to this sort of thing.

      Some approach first or third person writing as though it is actually a story that has been written down at some point. Were that the case here then you would be entirely correct.

      I follow a different literary convention in this and other similarly structured stories (Rich & Poor, Criminal Record) where, though I utilise first person, the focus is still on the story told and the ease of telling it. If I wrote stories from ill educated characters' points of view in their usual writing style it would make them quite annoying to read potentially.

      So yeah, I see your point, and thank you for raising it, but I'm following a different established path intentionally with the end goal of making every story accessible and as nicely written as I can make it.

      Delete
  7. Hmm. Must we assume that Melissa is less educated and poorer in intellect just because she's a cleaner? Is Dahlia's wealth and privilege synonymous with intelligence?

    I feel more inclined to believe that the difference in their status is resultant of life's capricious fortune rather than any innate variance in their mental aptitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would suggest Mellisa is probably less educated than Dahlia which doesn;t necessarily mean less intelligent. Her disadvantaged back ground would make it harder for her and her contempories because formal education wouldn't be part of the culture. There's a reason why Russel group universities have a disproportionate number of students from well off backgrounds and it isn;t because they're more intelligent.

    Be careful not to confuse ignorance with stupidity. The only thing to condemn is willful ignorance. Melissa is likely to be ignorant of (say) literature but that doesn't mean she's stupid and she may well see how to take full advantage of the opportunities Dahlia is offering her. In fact I'm sure she will to Dahlia's cost perhaps.

    That's what I love about this story - the interplay between privilege and disadvantage.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete