Tuesday 16 September 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Five - Part Seven



The phone began to ring as I was dusting the shelves and I stopped irritably, glaring at it.

I’d been so relaxed; so lost in what I was doing. Jumping out of it was a nuisance; a breaking of the spell; almost a shock to the system. I’d been humming to myself, enjoying the tranquillity. The shrill insistence of the bleating ringer had no patience for that. It demanded my instant and total attention.

Grumbling to myself, I went over and picked up the phone on the desk. “Hello?”

“Dahlia?”

I frowned. “Yes.”

“It’s Tommy.” My agent.

“Hi. What do you want?”

He paused. “Er, you okay?”

“Yeah. I’m fine.” I was getting tired of people asking me that. “What do you want?”

He chuckled. “I was calling to talk about our meeting yesterday with Leah.”

“What about it?”

“Are you sure you’re okay Dahlia? You seem a little... off.”

“I was in the middle of something,” I said.

“Okay. Er, sorry about that. I do need to talk to you though. About what happened.”

“What did happen?” I knew I shouldn’t be short with him but he was really rubbing me up the wrong way today.

“Just that... Well Leah was a little disappointed that you weren’t more...”

I waited.

“That you weren’t more – how to put it – enthusiastic... about the photo shoot.”

I looked across at the unfinished shelves; the can of furniture polish; the cloth.

“Dahlia?”

“Yeah.”

“I thought you’d put the phone down.”

“No. I’m here.”

“So what do you think about that?”

“About what?”

“Leah. And the photo shoot. The magazine article.”

I shrugged an invisible shrug and opened my mouth to reply, but nothing came out. Eventually I forced a half-hearted. “I may have been a bit distracted.”

“Distracted? Okay. Great.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means I’ve put a lot on the line for this. I’ve called in favours. I owe Leah big for this when she was sceptical about it in the first place. We need to be giving her a hundred and fifty percent. We need to be wowing her. I mean it. News travels fast and we can’t mess too many people around.”

“You mean I can’t mess them around.”

“Yeah. Okay. You.”

“So you’re telling me to pull my finger out.”

“Basically...”

“Give my all. Push harder. Put some real effort in.”

“Hey I’m just trying to help you.”

“Help me.”

“Yeah. You know I am.”

“What did she say exactly; this Leah?” I asked.

Now it was Tommy that went quiet.

“Well? How exactly did she expect me to act?”

“Dahlia, calm down for a minute.”

“I am calm,” I snapped. “I’m just wondering how I failed this time; how this woman who met me for one hour decided that I didn’t meet her exacting standards.”

“Hey, look, slow down Dahlia. Listen to me. Let’s just cool off.”

“Don’t tell me to cool off Tommy. And don’t tell me to calm down. In fact don’t even talk to me at all.”

I slammed the phone down and the physical action was followed immediately be three crashing waves of emotion.

Anger at the way he’d spoken to me; the way he’d made me feel.

Sorrow that I’d been so tough on him when I knew he was only trying to help.

And then guilt and self-recrimination, because I knew that Tommy didn’t deserve that.

I stared at the phone, wondering if he would call back.

He didn’t.

I wondered if I should call him.

But I didn’t.

The spray can of furniture polish was still on the shelf next to the microfibre cloth. There were streaks in the dust where I'd worked.

I looked at the phone again.

Then I walked back to shelves and got back to work, trying to put it out of my head.

23 comments:

  1. Burning bridges? I hope Dahlia knows what she's doing. On second thoughts, I hope she doesn't but that Emma does :)

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, she doesn't care too much about being rude and abrupt with Tommy, in fact she's standing up to him more than she ever seemed to previously. She's being assertive and decisive.... In her hurry to rush back to being submissive and deferential to Melissa. The irony. She does feel bad... But not bad enough to do anything to fix it! This is great. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. Just simply amazing. I hope that that phone call is made again later. With "Dahlia" answering it of course. Cleaners can be rude to their superiors lol.
    I literally am waiting here for your next treat for us Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference here is you're the boss, Emma whereas we are merely the 'cleaners' :) You have control as my glider instructor used to say.

      Robyn H

      Delete
    2. Heh heh. I like the sound of that. :)

      Delete
  4. mmm like a lot of addictions, you get very tetchy with people stopping you from getting your fix ;-) -MikeW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be confused Tommy isn't a friend doing her a favor. she's a client and coping with emotional models is what he does all day long. he didn't call back because there's no mileage in a fight, but that doesn't mean he's written her off or even that he's mad. it's going to take a lot more to offend Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The difference here is you're the boss, Emma whereas we are merely the 'cleaners' :) You have control as my glider instructor used to say.

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dahlia hates being interrupted

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because I saw some unfound critisism in this part I would like to add that if you are a cleaner at heart, like I am, you can understand perfectly Dahlia's reaction to Tommy's interference. The can of polish and completing the dusting was much more important to her at the time than any other task however big and serious.
    And of course Dahlia is definitely burning the bridges with her immediate entourage. First Katherine, now Tommy, her brother next?

    Thank Emma,
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. And you're quite right. Life is all about focusing on what is important.

      I'm not sure the bridges aren't fully burnt down yet but they're definitely on fire.

      Delete
  9. and lastly may all who feel that an "absence of realism" is legitimate criticism of a work of fiction get intestinal worms and leave the rest of us alone for a while

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emma.
    Nothing to add,
    I just like having the last word.
    BillA

    ReplyDelete