Thursday 18 September 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Five - Part Eight



Lunchtime approached and as it did my own excitement developed, just to imagine serving Melissa as though she were really me.

I didn’t think anymore about Tommy’s phone call. I didn’t allow myself to.

Ordinarily Melissa did make a simple lunch for me most days she was in so it was an expected part of my duty, but there was no element usually of subservience. Of course there wasn't. This was the twenty first century. But... I loved the idea of serving her. I wanted to play the part of a loyal servant. I wanted to feel as though she were my... superior.

God, this was weird. I just couldn't believe I had such a kinky side.

But I very clearly did. And I yearned to feed it. The idea of doing so; of glutting on these experiences... It made the muscles either side of my spine shiver.

I wanted to do something special for her lunch. I went to the kitchen and looked through the cupboards; checked the fridge, squinting through my corrective lenses; closed them and went to the window. The foliage at the side of the house was a smear of greens.

What if I went out... like this... dressed as Melissa...? What if I went out in my dress and shoes; my wig and glasses...? What if I interacted with others like this? Went to the shop?

I quivered from head to toe, a rippling shudder of arousal that went right through me.

I closed my eyes, wetting my lips.

But no. I couldn't do that. I couldn't. What if somebody recognised me? What if I ran into a friend or worse, Katherine? No. I shook my head. Not possible.

However much I might... However much I might want it.

I put the idea of it out of my head and went back to the fridge. There was ensuing there, especially with the extra provisions I'd added to that bought in by Katherine. Sighing, I set to the task of making up a ploughman's: bread, cheese, some chutney, a bit of salad. I poured another tall glass of that thick succulent fruit juice.

I put It all on a tray with another doily and cut a flower from the vase on the windowsill; set it on the edge of the tray; stared at it for a long moment; straightened my pinny and dress; straightened my hair. Then I raised the tray and carried it out through the kitchen door, round and along the corridor to the pool room.

'Dahlia' was sitting on the edge of the pool with water pooling round her calves. my entrance caught her eye and she turned her head, her expression blossoming into a radiant smile.

"Excuse me miss," I said, noting the glimmer of further delight on her face and my own flutter of inner heat. "I've brought you your lunch."

"Ah... Good. Thank you Melissa," she replied, climbing up to her feet. "I'll have it over here." She gestured to the round metal filigreed table beyond the sun lounger.

"Yes miss," I said, taking the food across and setting it down.

Melissa took her seat, smiling in contentment. I stood back as she settled, witnessing the moment. She took up her cutlery and tucked in and the most wonderful feeling of warmth and peace settled over me.

I remained watching her, absorbing each tiny movement and scrape of her knife as she cut the bread and the cheese; spread the butter. I wished I could see better in the glasses but I didn't want to take them off. I was entranced by the movements of her fingers; the sight of the food being raised to her lips as I stood in waiting.

Then it slowly came to my attention that she'd stopped eating. She was watching me instead. I stood more upright, startled, feeling a little batter of embarrassment and guilt.

"Sorry," I said.

She raised her eyebrows.

I smiled and stepped back; almost curtseyed of all things. 

"Thank you for bringing my food through Melissa," she said, "but I don't need anything else. Perhaps you should get on with your cleaning."

"Uh, yes. Yes. I will." And then I did give a curtsy, feeling foolish and awkward. I backed up further, unsure what else to do or say, then I turned my back and left the room, not noticing the smirk playing across Melissa's lips.

30 comments:

  1. While do I feel an ominous musical cue should accompany that smirk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what Melissa is thinking now

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,
    A curtsey?
    Well that was a massive step(sorry)
    Melissa takes a little more control and Dahlia is really getting a thrill from her own servile behaviour.
    Only a matter of time until they have to have a little talk I think.
    Please keep up the great work.
    BillA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. I wasn't sure about that curtsy but I think it represents a crucial step in Dahlia's perception of the whole thing. The inhibitions she felt before are really falling away now and once they've gone, why hold back any longer? Why not just jump in with both feet?

      Delete
    2. Emma,
      I have to admit I was surprised by the curtsey myself.
      I think it was well judged however as it gave un un-ambiguous signal to Melissa that she was being "served" a fact she recognised with the "smirk".
      I can`t wait for the next episode or indeed the one after that and so on.
      You`re such a tease though drip feeding us a snippet at a time.
      (I know it`s what Emma`s do best)
      BillA

      Delete
    3. It is what Emmas do best.

      (Well, one of the things)

      I don't see another curtsy coming - it isn't going to be that kind of relationship - but it did, as you say, establish what their new relationship is going to be like.

      Delete
  4. Well, we're away for a week so future updates won't be seen for a while but I expect great things to happen as my back is turned :) I can see Dahlia cleaning at the school before long ... and paying for the 'privilege' as well as the thrill.

    Great stuff, Emma. Thank you.

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy. Love the effort Dahlia's putting into this, slavishly preparing everything to perfection, doggedly wearing her glasses. Oh yes. And with Melissa slipping ever more easily into the role of telling her what to do. And at the end... feeling 'foolish and awkward' it's just delightful :) Love your writing, Emma

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last line is a bit weird in a first person narrative to have someone describing themselves as "not noticing" something that happens as their back is turned. How does she know the smirk even happened if she didn't notice it? Are we going into unreliable narrator territory here, in which Dahlia's fantasies are "filling in the blanks" for her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I know what you mean but it's an established literary technique that this kind of thing can be done as long as it's limited to the first or last paragraph of a chapter.

      We've previously established that this is a different sort of first person narration, that isn't each character writing their recollections in a journal. If it were, an equally pertinent question would be, how do they remember exactly what they were thinking and feeling at every single second and exactly what was being said?

      This is an aspect of first person narration I've always struggled with.

      I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this literary technique. If a majority finds it jarring then I might change the line. It would be a bit of a shame though as it's a nice counterpoint to end the scene on.

      Let the debate commence!

      Or not...

      Delete
    2. I always thought of first person as being the character's POV, but I think this is okay because its more of a teaser rather actual exposition. (does that make sense?)

      Delete
    3. Well with this deluge of audience response I'm leaning toward keeping it in I must say. I've given it some more thought and think it's pretty cool.

      Delete
    4. to expand on my previous thought, you can see something and not notice it at the time.

      Delete
  7. Now is Melissa's turn.
    Dahlia opened all her cards leaving all inhibitions behind.
    Melissa's smirk seems deliciously ominous.
    Next part please!
    Monica G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inhibitions do seem to be a thing of the past. I wonder what will happen next!

      Delete
    2. It's just too bad they look so dissimilar. otherwise they could stay in character as long as they wanted

      Delete
    3. Hmmm. You may have hit the issue on the head there.

      Delete
    4. I wonder how they could make each other look like each other? they do live in nockton vale. :)

      Delete
    5. Surely you don't mean magic?!?!

      That wouldn't do in this story!

      Think of the public outcry!

      Delete
    6. Perhaps vivid fantasy that spawns ideas or just a speedy transition

      Delete
    7. With three volumes to this series, I fear it will be anything but speedy.

      Involved, satisfying and intricate though?

      Well there is a chance of that.

      Delete
    8. Maybe the magic comes in because they actually pull it off one time, but that just wets their appetite for more

      Delete
    9. Er.... no.

      Much as that would simplify matters, this story is regretably magic-free.

      I'm with you though. I much prefer magical stories. Having said that, the non-magical nature of this one does force me to explore the concepts in an entirely new and deeper way than normal.

      Delete
    10. you'll have to get creative, like Dahlia/Melissa. :)

      Delete
    11. That's my goal. You can be the judge of whether I succeed or not.

      Delete