Tuesday 28 January 2014

Man: Wanted - Chapter Six - Part Four


Sangeeta and I finished our lunch (in which I tried to explain away my hair blunder without mentioning my magic ring and the fact I was secretly her boyfriend) then we went for a wander, slowly working our way back toward the furthest reach of the shopping centre where her salon was. She laughed hysterically as I described my cutter’s remorse that morning and my frantic attempts to make myself look half presentable.

We just went on chatting and pretty rapidly we weren’t two uncomfortable people with agendas, we were just two friends passing the time and enjoying ourselves. She talked all about India and growing up there as a little girl. I told her about my failing business.

We went into the doorway of a boutique to try on a hat I fancied that I thought might complement my hairdo. We ended up trying on half a dozen each – half of them totally awful. It was funny as hell! Sangeeta insisted on buying one, no matter how much I tried to persuade her how bad it looked. I’m sure she was doing it to wind me up.

We wandered. And I started to have those feelings again about her: just a general pleasure of her company, no matter who I was, but also a faintly disturbing physical attraction. I didn’t even think it was a throwback to my time as Geoff. She was just very pretty and a really cool person.

We walked round the corner and I actually felt quite disappointed that she was going to have to go back to work, but the fun wasn’t over quite yet.

Rasheed was outside the salon, hands cupped round his face as he peered inside, presumably thinking she was hiding from him.

Sangeeta said something in her native tongue that sounded like a curse word. She stopped and put her fists on her hips. “Rasheed?”

Embarrassed to have been caught, he faced us and came closer. “Sangeeta. There you are. I was looking for you.”

“Well... What do you want?”

“I thought we could eat together.”

“Rasheed—” That first word came out fast like the tap of a hammer, but her next words were slow. “We’ve discussed this before. I’m sorry you’ve gone to the trouble of making this trip, and I appreciate that you really believe that you have my best interests at heart. I know you’re a good man and maybe if things had been different we’d have hit it off naturally. But things aren’t different.” She sighed. “I’m trying to get through to you that right now, you and I aren’t going to happen.”

“I’ve talked to your father,” he said. “On the telephone.”

“Rasheed...”

“He’s coming here.”

“What?” Sangeeta stood there, flabbergasted. “Here here? Nockton Vale?”

“He thinks he will arrive the day after tomorrow.”

Sangeeta clearly didn’t know what to say. She couldn’t string words together. And Rasheed had such a smug expression on his face. I simply saw red.

“Do you really think that’s going to win her heart?” I said, stepping forward. “Seriously? Stalking her; following her; muscling your way into her flat and her affairs; making her feel uncomfortable – that wasn’t enough? You think telling tales to her father and dragging him all the way here from India is going to make her fall in love with you? Really?”

He gave me a sullen glare, obviously resenting my interference, and said, “Marriage can come first. Love will follow later.”

I looked at Sangeeta. “Is he serious?” I glared at him and strode closer. “Get out of here! Go on! Stay the hell away from my friend!”

He backed up, unsure of my intentions but I kept on coming and he had to fall back or let me slam into him.

“Go on! Get out of here! She doesn’t want to see you! She doesn’t like you and she sure as fuck doesn’t want to marry you!”

Rasheed gave Sangeeta a pointed look then slunk off while I strode after him, calling him names. I was furious!

When I returned to Sangeeta she was unlocking the door to her Beauty Bower and I suddenly hit myself with a crack of guilt. Instantly that righteous momentum dissipated and I said, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have interfered. It’s none of my business.”

“No. I’m grateful,” she replied. “It’s nice to have you to take my side.” She gave a brief smiling chuckle. “You and Geoff aren’t that different.” I frowned. She saw it and laughed. “You shouldn’t feel bad. That valiant-defender side to him is what first attracted me.”

She stood, holding the door but something had shifted. The former discomfort was back. I wasn’t sure if it originated with me or her but I could see her acknowledgment of it in her face.

“I’d better be going,” I said.

“Sure. Okay.” She paused. “Tell Geoff...”

I waited.

“Just tell him to give me a call. If he wants.” She shrugged. “I’ll seeya.”

“Yeah,” I replied, feeling uncertain about so many things. “Seeya.”

3 comments:

  1. Alison is getting a little jealous. I was thinking she was going to slap rasheed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she has a cure for jealousy...

      Delete
    2. What was the earlier line? "like a lion defending his mate"

      Delete