Saturday 18 January 2014

Lady Ann's Holiday: Chapter Thirty Four - Part Seven


Ann walked back into the hall, still laughing to herself. She couldn’t get over how enjoyable it was to treat Burt in exactly the same way as she had been treated in his place; and the toadying sycophant had seemed to actually enjoy it!

She laughed even louder.

She didn’t bother to seek out Richard. There was plenty of time for that later. Instead she went up to her room and took out the box with the pendant inside. She just wanted to look at it for a moment, that was all.

Taking the key from round her neck she unlocked it and placed the pendant in her palm. Touching it had no effect now. She examined it in detail, tracing the curving sigils with her fingertip, astounded by the power of such an innocuous object to effect such change.

She wondered what to do with the thing. If she chose to swap back then she supposed the restored Lady Ann would take ownership, but if she remained who she was then it would be up to her. Should she dispose of it or keep it hidden away? Might she ever want to use it again? What might happen if someone else got their hands on it? What might occur if someone with darker designs or mischief in mind had it in their power?

She held it up, thinking about that, then started in surprise when her door pushed open.

“Ann?”

Her new father, the Earl, stood in the doorway.

Unsure what else to do with it and worried the Earl would make enquiries, Ann dropped the pendant on its chain about her neck.

“Do you have a minute?”

“Of course father,” she said. “Come in.”

The Earl entered. “I haven’t had much chance to talk to you since your return. I’m sure your mother has said how glad we are to see you well and so happy.”

“Thank you father. I am very well and very happy.”

“And glad I hope that I decided to follow your advice and let that idiot stable hand go free?”

She smiled. “Yes. Thank you. I am glad. He cares for my horse very well and good help is hard to find.”

“Quite right,” replied the Earl, running his hand back across his bald head. “Your mother’s seen fit to order new servants for the hall. There will be havoc while they stumble about learning the proper way that things should be done.”

Ann laughed. “I’m sure you’ll get through it. But thank you for what you did for the stable hand.”

“Damned expensive business,” huffed the Earl. “I had to pay to set up the trial so quickly and then pay again to persuade the magistrate to let him off. I’d have done better to give him a hundred lashes and forget the gaol term altogether.” He gave a brief throaty chuckle. “If that wasn’t bad enough I’ve been summoned to York. Some upstart MP wishing to remind me of the proper way of dealing with criminals! Me!” He shook his head. “I’ll tell him exactly what I think of that.”

“When do you leave?”

“Tomorrow. But I’ll only be gone overnight. It’s nothing.” He laughed it off. “Let me look at you.” He drew her up from the bed by the hand and clasped each of her shoulders. “I’m so very proud of you Ann. This Richard of yours has impeccable character and is richer than the good Lord himself.” He guffawed. “You’re going to be very happy.”

He pulled her in for a hug and Ann’s eyes gaped in horror, realising what was about to happen – the pendant stuck between them, resting on her chest.

She squirmed, twisting her body and managed to duck out from under his arms just before contact was made.

“What the devil’s the matter Ann? I was only going to hug you.”

“Nothing father, sorry,” she said hurriedly. “I’ve just… been coming down with a cold and I didn’t want you to risk catching it, especially with your trip tomorrow.”

“Hmmm. Well. Yes. That’s probably wise.” He thought for a moment. “Very well, I’ll take my leave and see you at dinner.”

“Thank you father. I’m so glad you approve of the choices I’ve made.”

The Earl smiled and left the room and Ann slumped onto the bed, her heart pounding. That had been entirely too close! To just imagine the horror of trading places with the Earl! She couldn’t think of anything worse!

Breathing unevenly, she quickly removed the pendant and put it back in its case and locked it away.
She had no intention of letting that sort of thing ever happen again!

4 comments:

  1. I think I am understanding a little why Hattie is so snappy, both she and Ann do things that cost the earl money. He is mad at Hattie when she didn't ask for him to do anything and is forgiving towards Ann despite her direct request that cost him money. Ah family they tempt us to murder sometimes, not to mention other things...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. "Other things."

      You'll find out.

      As for family... they can drive anyone to be snappy!

      Delete
    2. You can ask her yourself soon. Workman will be starting up again from Wednesday assuming I pull my finger out and write the next bit!

      Delete