Friday 10 January 2014

Lady Ann's Holiday: Chapter Thirty Four - Part Four


Ann was disappointed to find the stable deserted when she returned from her ride. She called out for Burt to come and help her down from the horse but no one answered and she had to struggle down by herself instead. She made a mental note to chastise Harry further when she got the chance. Any excuse to pay the miserable old blighter back.

She smiled to herself as she walked back up to Griply Hall and went inside, looking round until she found her new mother.

The Countess was talking to the housekeeper in the library while Reggie, Ann’s cousin, played nearby.

Reggie was six years old and rather chubby with very smart clothes and a slightly over the top pageboy hairstyle. With his lisp and precocious voice he wasn’t Ann’s ideal choice to spend time with and she’d managed to avoid him entirely so far.

“I want the new maid and valet in place no later than tomorrow,” said the Countess. “I won’t hear any more excuses. Is that clear?”

“Yes m’lady,” replied the housekeeper.

“Good. That will be all.”

The housekeeper bowed out and the Countess turned to see Ann before being distracted with the little boy. “Reggie, really. Must you cause such mess? Come along, do clear up, there’s a good boy.”

“Shorry auntie,” he replied.

“Run along now and leave the grownups in peace.”

Reggie got up and ran out of the room. The Countess looked to the heavens and smiled at her daughter. “Ann darling. It’s lovely to see you looking so well after your… ordeal. You seem your old self again.”

“I do feel better.”

The Countess touched Ann’s arm gently. “Have you been able to put that ghastly experience behind you? Your father and I were worried it might leave scars of a sort.”

Ann thought about the desperate yearning the abduction had prompted in her to become a man again. “It was… a very difficult experience. I’m not sure I have managed to leave it behind me yet completely.”

“Oh Ann.” The Countess took her hands and looked deeply into her eyes. “I love you so, so dearly. You know that, don’t you?”

“… Yes. I do.”

She smiled. “The women of our family line have always been strong,” said the Countess. “You are no different. That strength is greater in you than in any other woman I have encountered; and I know that you will not be defeated by such an event. You are indomitable my darling. Nothing will ever weaken you or cause you to doubt yourself. You will always be the strong and wilful woman I see before me now. I couldn’t be prouder of you.”

Tears came to Ann’s eyes. “Oh Mother. I love you so much. Thank you. I think… I think I was questioning myself; questioning everything about me. Do you really…?”

“I really think you are a wonderful young woman; a fitting heir to the Neville line. You are destined for wonderful things; I know that. You are going to be famous for your beauty and intelligence; your charm and elegance. You will go down in history as one of the great women of this new century.” She touched Ann’s face. “I love you my dear. But more than that, I respect you for your strength and your wisdom.”

Tears were running down Ann’s cheeks. She pressed herself to her mother’s chest, embracing her. “I love you Mummy. I love you so much. Thank you. Oh thank you for saying that. You don’t know how much it means to me.”

2 comments:

  1. "maybe femininity isn't so bad" - my own guess as to Ann's internal monologue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There are plusses and minuses to being Ann or Burt.

      And there aren't many people on Earth who know which way they'll end up choosing to go...

      Delete