Friday 13 December 2013

Workman: Chapter Five - Part One

Workman
1

The oddest thing was that when I woke up there was no “bloody hell” moment.

I didn’t jerk upright, gaping down at my manly body in incredulity, instantly regretting what had happened, asking myself how I could have let it happen in the first place. I just opened my eyes and smiled contentedly and stretched. It didn’t even occur to me there was anything funny about my situation at first. When it did I just thought to myself, oh, I’m still a man. I didn’t have a shock reaction. And why would I really? Fifty percent of the population were men. It was a perfectly ordinary state for them. Why should I have a panic attack about it?

I’d slept really deeply; far deeper than I was used to. I’d been a light sleeper my whole life. I felt refreshed in a way I didn’t normally. I chuckled. Maybe I should always sleep like this and change back in the morning.

The bed was empty next to me. I pushed my hair back off my forehead and scratched my crown, then swung my legs off the bed. There was a note over on the drawers in a pretty, flowing, feminine script.

 

Hey Big Boy,
 

Had a really good time last night. It’s lovely to meet a good old-fashioned man. And even lovelier to shag him!
 

Sneaking out cause I have to meet the manager of Tower Gates this morning and I don’t have my uniform. You look almost as cute asleep as you do awake!



Give me a call.



Sangeeta

  xxJxx

 

She’d written her mobile number at the bottom. I reread the first paragraph then laid it back down, smiling to myself.

I went through to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror over the sink, stroking my cheek and smoothing down my new goatee beard. I hadn’t had a proper look at it until now. It looked good and suited me.

The restful night had done wonders for my state of mind. I didn’t feel jittery at all anymore about being a man. It continued to feel comfortable and normal.

I checked the time. There was only an hour before I was meant to be next door doing that plastering. I took hold of the ring, wondering if I should take it off for a bit. I turned it on my finger then let it go. There wasn’t any point really. I might as well stay as I was for now.

I opened the bathroom cabinet and frowned.

“That’s weird.”

It was full of stuff – more full than it had been – and a lot of it was guy’s stuff: shaving things; hair wax; a beard trimmer. I half closed it, keeping my hand on the door, looking back into the bedroom, then I went back through.

The wardrobe had changed too. A lot of my womanly clothes were in there still but intermingled with them were men’s things: shirts, trousers, sweaters, jeans. There were men’s shoes and trainers in the bottom laid neatly beside the haphazard pile of ladies’ shoes I owned.

I stoked my beard, looking at it, then got dressed in jeans and a T shirt and jogged downstairs. There was still unopened mail on the table in the hall. I picked up and flicked through the letters making a subtle nod when I saw what I was expecting.

There were letters addressed to me – Geoff – alongside letters addressed to my other self as Alison. The shift in reality that had created the ID card had gone a notch further. It had happened the night before I realised. I just hadn’t noticed at the time. The hair cream I’d used... It hadn’t been my dad’s at all. It belonged to me as Geoff.

I took another look at the ring.

It really was incredible.

I wondered again if I should take it off and chuck it away. But I’d passed that decision by. There was no point. I was going to get the house ready ten times faster as a bloke and that was on top of bringing in some proper money for a change doing this plastering across the road. And I’d had an excellent time with Sangeeta the night before. As far as I was concerned I was going to go on using this ring on and off from now on.

It was all good!

8 comments:

  1. does life get any better? :) -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. at the rate "he's" going I wonder if it will bother him, if Alison's things start disappearing. -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, have you noticed that an ongoing theme of a lot of my stories is the principle of characters feeling really grounded and happy in their new lives?

      Especially when the new life would appear an awful substitute to their original selves...

      Emma

      Delete
    2. I have noticed that theme, classic example Burt or Ann which is it better to be, depends on the criteria used...-John
      I like to accellerating aspect of it as well. as the "new" state becomes more comfortable there is less reason to fight it...(now Geoff is thinking about sleeping as a guy)

      Delete
    3. I guess this is a genre where perhaps, generally the writers and readers are fascinated by the idea of changing into somebody else while secretely longing just to be happy with who they are...

      Or finding another life where that is possible.

      Emma

      Delete
    4. its a sort of commingling of chaos and logic, because each stage makes sense in its own right but if you look a little further in the time process the beginnings and the ends seem completely disconnected. -John

      Delete
    5. Or are they?

      One of the "secrets" of my ongoing milieu is there to be seen in every story, even though it's yet to be revealed and it actually disproves your theory.

      Don't try too hard to guess though cause you might guess right!

      Emma

      Delete
    6. Yeah it is the ultimate escapist fantasy. -john

      Delete