Thursday 19 December 2013

Workman: Chapter Five - Part Four


On the way home in the car I whistled to myself, tapping the beat out on the steering wheel, thinking about my decision to accept the job.

I was pretty happy with it – surprisingly happy. If I was short of readies and had the ability then why shouldn’t I turn it into a little earner? If I stuck an advert in the paper and got in the Yellow Pages I might really start to make some cash; could really build a business. Longer term I could even expand; maybe hire some other blokes and do some contracting. With these skills that I’d suddenly got there was no reason to hold back.

It was astounding that the effect of the ring I was wearing could go on affecting this kind of changes. I wondered what would have happened if I’d told people I was a doctor – a brain surgeon – would that have come true as well? Though that didn’t feel right.

I wondered actually if the ring wasn’t magical in the way I’d assumed. Maybe it wasn’t a gender-changing ring. Maybe it just granted my desire for a handy man by turning me into one. Perhaps the stone itself was magical somehow and responded to a person’s wishes like that.

I really had no idea; not for definite.

But I had clearly made myself into a real Jack-of-all-trades just by saying it. I knew how to plaster obviously; but now I also knew how to fit and maintain central heating systems. I had a feeling... Yes. I had a feeling that if I opened my wallet I would find a Gas Safe registration card made out under my new name with a photograph and everything.

I didn’t think I could go on doing it forever. I didn’t know why but I could feel that. And I hadn’t really changed anything with what I’d told John and Steve. I’d just filled in the detail.

I wondered if I could take it further now. I decided to try it.

I indicated and made a right turn.

“I’ve been running a successful business for years as a workman,” I said. “I’ve got a great head for business. I’m great at marketing myself and doing all the back-office paperwork.”

I paused, cocking my head; wondering if that was sinking in too.

The effect was so subtle it was difficult to know but I felt that I was. I was actually becoming a confident businessman, fully capable of starting up the new business that John had suggested. It was really exciting! I was going to have my own business – and a successful one this time! It was going to be so good to build a proper sensible career rather than the airy fairy one I’d been trying to do as Alison. This was sensible and I had the skills to back it up now. I was fully confident it was going to take off.

Up ahead, some bright lights caught my eye and I flicked on the indicator.

I pulled onto the forecourt of the car showroom and stopped in a space.

One of the sales staff was outside fiddling with a price label on one of the cars. I gave him a wave as I climbed out of my Nancy-mobile and walked over.

“Good afternoon,” he said. “How may I help you today?”

I pointed back to the embarrassingly feminine car. “I’m thinking of trading that in. I’m looking for a good deal on a van. I don’t need any frills. Just something big on volume and comfortable. If I can take it away today then all the better.”

“You’ve come to the right place sir,” said the man. “We have an excellent range of new and second hand trade vehicles. Let me show you.”

I gestured with an open hand. “Lead the way.”

He took me round the back and showed me what they had. It was a good broad range. I had a mooch round, examining the features and checking the rear interiors. If I was really going to make a go off this business then I’d need space for tools and materials. Central heating would require me to transport radiators and boilers but I didn’t want to limit myself to that. I needed space for a ladder for external building and decorating work. My mind was chuntering along, thinking of all the possibilities.

I was going to need a small business loan from the bank to get things started. They’d be closed now but I’d pop in Monday morning and get that set up for definite – really start to push hard on getting this set up.

I found just the right van to get me started. It had a few years on the clock and managed to talk the guy into a straight swap after a bit of cajoling. I got him talking about the rugby and that did it.

We went inside to do the paperwork.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder the next time Geoff changes into Alison will she have access to his business acumen -john

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Good question that I hadn't considered. She does seem to have some hangover from being him so possibly.

      My impression is that the skills and drive seem to change instantly but some general urges - such as maculinity and sexual preference hang around for a while.

      Emma

      Delete
  2. now you got me wondering if she is going to try and "outsource" some of the business planning for her dress business to Geoff (key work "try") -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Interesting. I can't see Geoff being interested in a dress making business though... It looks like he has plans of his own.

      Emma

      Delete
  3. Wanted to let you know that I just finished your great novel, "Criminal Record," a couple days ago. I posted a 5-star review on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, and on Goodreads. LOVED IT! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete