Thursday 22 May 2014

Cleaner - Chapter One - Part One



DAHLIA 


“Don’t you want to be rich again?” asked Tommy.

I turned to him, put my hands on my hips and said, “Look around you. I already am.”

He glanced at the arcing glass roof, the indoor pool behind me, the designer furnishings, and scowled impatiently. “Well, richer than you are then.”

I turned my back on him, looking down in the water. “Honestly Tommy, I’m not sure what I want.”

“Look Dahlia. As your agent I have a responsibility to manage your comeback as carefully as I can to get you back into the spotlight with maximum impact. I have my strategy worked out and I really think we can revitalise your name; possibly even make you bigger than you were before. We can get you modelling the top lines within the month if we play it carefully; put you back into position as the face of Diabolique perfume; get rid of that skinny wench they replaced you with. You can have it all back and more, seriously.”

I lowered my chin and half turned my head but didn’t look back at him. “Do you really think that’s possible?”

The moment’s hesitation illustrated his doubt and the blag of what he was saying equally well but he recovered nicely. “I’m confident, yes.” He could sense my apprehension clearly so he quickly added, “Sure, we can’t be certain, neither of us; but I am talking to a lot of the top people and the sense I’m getting is that they are receptive to it.”

I said nothing, looking instead out through the high glass walls down the expansive garden.

“As your friend,” said Tommy, “I’m saying, give me a break. Can you do that? We’ve known each other for donkey’s years. I’ve always done right by you. Haven’t I?”

I shrugged and allowed him the trace of a smile. “For the most part.”

“Then work with me on this. It isn’t just your career we’re talking about. It’s mine too. This can put me back on the map as well. That’s why we’re partners.”

“I went to the party Tommy,” I said, walking past him toward the door.

“Sure,” he said, following. “Great, yeah. But I went to loads of trouble setting that up. There were a lot of people there you needed to network with. You barely stayed beyond nine.”

“I got bored.”

“Dahlia. Stop and talk to me for a second.”

I went on walking, passing out of the pool room and into the house proper. Tommy came scurrying after.

The house was fairly vast: the combined result of the money I’d made as a model and actress and the legacy of my parents. It had bright sunlit rooms toward the outside but the interior was cool and dark, just the way I liked it. The wide corridor led toward the front of the house where my cleaner was busy mopping the floor.

When Tommy saw where I was clearly headed, his voice went up a notch in pitch. “Dahlia, will you slow down and listen to me, I mean it. Either you’re going for the comeback or you aren’t. It’s your choice, sure, that’s understandable; though no offence, if you chuck this opportunity away, you’re an idiot.”

I stopped and raised my eyebrows at him.

“Okay, yeah, sorry. But sweetheart; really; this time we’ve got here is probably your last chance.”

“It was you who said I should stop working in the first place.”

“Yeah. And as I explained at the time; the work was dropping off; you needed to step away to give people the chance to put you out of their minds a little. Either that or you really would have gone out of fashion. Pulling out of the business for a couple of years was the smart move; I stick by that recommendation. But now it’s time to jump back in, and you only have a small window of opportunity. You’re still beautiful – you’re gorgeous – but that won’t last forever. You need to jump in now, with both feet.”

I went on walking toward the front door, circling round the wet patch of floor where Melissa was cleaning. Tommy came after me but was too intent to be careful. He slipped and almost lost his balance then blazed at the cleaner. “Do you really have to be doing this now? We’re trying to have a meeting!”

“Sorry sir,” she said, picking up her bucket and pulling away, keeping her eyes low out of respect... or fear.

I raised my eyes to the heavens.

“Just tell me why you left the party Dahlia,” said Tommy, taking my arm to turn me round before the grand entranceway.

I shrugged, avoiding his eyes. “It was... I just... I was just an ornament; that was all; something pretty to hang pretty clothes on.”

He looked at me blankly. “Yeah? So?”

His reaction was so predictable that it surprised me and I laughed. “I’m just not sure I want to do it all again. The drivel people talk about at those things; like they’re all so important. Like their lives really matter.”

“Of course they matter. They’re celebrities.”

I chuckled. “The scary thing about you Tommy, is you see nothing wrong with that statement.”

I noticed Melissa again. She was carefully going back to work, washing down the tiles with her mop, leaning over it to apply pressure. She was so intent on her work; so focused.

Tommy clicked his fingers in front of my face. “Are you even listening?”

“Yes Tommy. I am. You want me to put more gusto into the comeback.”

“I want you to live up to your fabulous potential; go back to being the woman you used to be.”

I pictured one of the Vogue cover shots, my beautiful face and figure, my curly golden hair. “The woman I used to be.”

“Yeah. That incredible, rich, famous, desirable woman.”

I sighed. “Okay Tommy. I’ll do it. With gusto. You don’t have to worry.”

“Great. I’ll set up a meeting in a couple of days with one of the glossy magazines; see if we can’t set up some shoots to get us started. Alright?”

I nodded but I was looking past him at Melissa again, dutifully getting on with her work. And I thought, She doesn’t have to worry about all this crap. Nobody expects her to be fabulous.

Tommy chattered on, talking about his grand plans, but I ignored him. I just went on watching Melissa. She was tremendously obese; totally round; with thick dark hair cut into a bob and fringe. She was still mopping intently, careful to do a good job. It was all so simple for her.

She didn’t seem to have a care in the world.




16 comments:

  1. the pressure to preform. there's something almost Greek about fear of failure breeding failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I think the pressure to achieve one's potential can be a terrible burden.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're returning to this theme. 'Cleaner' is your best story IMO and I really liked the original story so a more thorough rewrite is welcome. I see you've renamed the main character for a start - wasn't she Topaz in the original if memory serves me well?

    Just one tiny moan. Can something be 'fairly vast'? I would have thought vast is, well, as vast as it can be :) Rather like slightly pregnant.

    Robi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rob,

      Hmmm. I'll think about that "vast" line.

      Thanks for liking it. Yeah. I get the impression that Cleaner is my most liked story over the years.

      I did change the main character's name. Topaz never really worked for me. Dahlia is more feminine but retains that over-elegantness.

      Thanks for your review of A New You on Amazon by the way!

      Delete
    2. Not my review, I'm afraid. Reviewing on Amazon is very difficult I find so I don't do it,

      However it would have been a good one if it had been me :) A lot of the stories I'd read before on FM but 'A New You' is still an excellent read and much more worth buying than than super-short unsubtle sex fests most Amazon TG fiction seems to be.

      I like good writing but I'm a better editor/proofreader than I am writer so I leave that (mostly) to people like you :)

      Robyn Hoode

      Delete
    3. Oh, sorry Robyn. A chap called Rob often comments here so I assumed you were him.

      Thanks for liking A New You. I agree that a lot of the transformation "books" on Amazon are a bit ropey. Very short and rather sex-oriented. I do my best to write stories with interesting characters that go on for long enough to make you feel you've got your money's worth.

      That's my goal anyway...

      Delete
  3. So glad you have returned to your masterpiece. Hope you keep her a cleaner for ever this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks!

      Well I can't make any promises yet because even I don't know what will happen at the end. Certainly in the original story, the long term fates of both women were a bit ambiguous so there will need to be a lot more detail on that.

      I'm going to let it develop as it wants to. It will probably be similar to the original (if it ain't broke...) but there there will be a lot more going on.

      Delete
  4. Wow, didn't see that coming! This is one of my all-time favorites. It will be interesting to see how the plot develops this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The aspects I find a particular turn on are: 1. The rich bitch is the author of her own misfortune. She is used to having her way even if that means her on self destruction, which is a psychologically convincing motivation, and it would be especially sweet if that is irreversible. 2. It is a girl-girl story, personally sex swaps don't turn me on and almost all your recent stories are sex swaps 3. It is vaguely realistic, unlike your usual "magical" stories. I can't wait for the next installment.
    Invo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't see Dahlia as a rich bitch though. She's more complex than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great start. I loved the original story so, so much and I just know this will be even better! Just one tiny suggestion: as you are re working the story so much perhaps you might want to call the new story "The New Cleaner" to make clear the difference between the two stories.
    FinnFan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      That's a point of view but... I think I'll keep it the same for now.

      Delete
    2. You'rr the boss, our should I say the mistress!

      Delete
    3. Heh heh. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

      Delete
  8. Yes she is more complex than that which is why she is one of your finest creations.She is the woman who has everything, but that does not make her happy, instead she wants to have nothing and be nothing. She is used to getting her way and nothing will stop her til she has completed her self destruction.

    ReplyDelete