Wednesday 30 April 2014

New Nockton Vale Map

Well with a brand new omnibus of short stories coming out on the 13th May, I decided to update my Nockton Vale map and fill in the blanks.

This is the version which hopefully now looks a bit more professional.


Click on the map to zoom in.

The dotted line is the railway, the heavy black lines are the ringroad, the circles are prominant roundabouts and the different areas are suburbs of the town.

Nockton and Barton are going to continue to grow as these stories get written and I'm particularly looking forward to getting a look at the Nockton Vale of 1908 in Lady Ann's Folly.

3 comments:

  1. My geography master at school always stressed that a map without a scale is deficient at best and useles at worst. Yours is merely slightly deficient :) but an idea of scale would be great.

    I hadn't realised that Barton was so near to Nockton Vale. I seem to remember Barton as somewhat run down from your other stories.

    Robi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barton and Nockton are twin towns in a valley that is known as Nockton Vale. The name Nockton Vale encompasses both towns.

      We'll learn more about the history of the towns in Lady Ann but suffice to say, Barton is the poor relation to the more prosperous Nockton. There are nicer and poorer areas of both towns but generally Barton is a sinister and rundown area.

      Readers of my oldest stories from my silver age may recall that Barton was always there but generally regarded as a suburb of another unnamed town. In fact I based it somewhat on Boscombe, one of the seedier districts of Bournemouth, where I live.

      Since then, especially lately, both Barton and the recently named Nockton have flourished in terms of extra detail and I am going to a lot of trouble nowadays to develop them as much as I can.

      At some point I may release a little free ebook giving an overview of the towns and their history as well as some detail on each of the areas. In the meantime, the Areas of Nockton Vale link at the top of this page will give you more to go on.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I'll put a scale marker on there when I get a minute. Thanks. Good idea.

      Delete