Saturday 27 June 2015

CLEANER II: Chapter Four - Part Six

DAHLIA

I hadn’t visited Melissa for two weeks, what with her taking a trip to get another round of liposuction done. I was nervous about it.

The expansion of my body wasn’t something that had occurred since she left – of course it wasn’t; it was a long ongoing process – but with the latest developments that morning it felt like something new and significant had occurred. It felt like something had shifted; something she would notice.

I was fatter now by a pound or four – maybe that would noticeable – but it was more the shift in my own perception, the ruminations I’d had in front of the mirror that morning; the new status quo with Maxine and the other cleaners.

I was always nervous when I went to see Melissa. In order to play the part we’d agreed on she operated with an aloof frostiness that did more than suggest superiority. She made me feel as though I was inferior to her and I guessed that was true. She was fitter and slimmer now. She was bettering herself; working hard with discipline to get stronger and healthier. I was making myself fatter and fatter; doing damage to my health to chase after a fantasy that bordered on mental illness. Even without the question of who controlled the money and the diametric roles we had taken on, she was a better person than I was.

But also I felt that she would see right through me. She would know that a shift had occurred in my thinking; that I’d followed her instructions to wallow in my new status.

I hated the idea of falling under her scrutiny. It chilled me. And my headache was no better.

The bus journey was just as long and uncomfortable as it always was. I was sweating a lot more now that I was fatter and the sweat was collecting in the folds of flesh around my bloated body. It was nice to get off my aching feet but my motion sickness was back in full force by the time I got there. I trudged to the Satine Palace, my nerves tinkling and faced the scornful glares of the reception staff. They had seen me coming and going for the past two months. They couldn’t know what our connection was but had they tried to guess? Had they noticed that as I grew fatter, Melissa became slimmer? I didn’t know. I hated and resented their air of superiority.

Ignoring them as best I could, I took the lift up to the penthouse floor and knocked on the door to Melissa’s suite.

There was a sound of rushed movement inside and then the door opened, not to reveal Melissa but to show a good looking man hurriedly doing up the buttons on his shirt. He flashed me a grin then darted into the lift just before it closed.

I watched him go then cleared my throat nervously and entered the room to face Melissa.





20 comments:

  1. Emma, what a tease, what a build up, I can`t wait for this next confrontation.
    Of course Dahlia`s right and Melissa will notice the shift in her demeanour.
    I suspect she`ll probably take full advantage of it too.
    Brilliant.

    BillA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Bill :) A fragment aimed to tease your avid fans and keep us biting our rapidly disappearing finger nails but welcome none the less .

      It occurs to me that,as the Greek financial problems are reported daily on the BBC, it should at least get a passing mention. It could possibly affect the new Melissa as she is relying on her meagre pay rather than her presumably substantial fortune which now only the former Melissa can access. I'm guessing she wisely changed the PIN numbers as soon as she could.

      I love this story and I, for one, would much prefer you concentrated on it at the expense of poor Lady Ann but I'm sure all would not agree.

      Thanks

      Robyn H

      Delete
    2. I don't plan to mention any contemporary issues in Greek news as that will date the book needlessly.

      I do plan to return to Lady Ann in the near future and go back to alternating. I know some people prefer Cleaner but I want to continue moving forward with both stories.

      Delete
    3. Good point re topical issues in Greece; you'e right, as usual :) It's just that greece seems to be n the news headlines every day at the moment.

      As regards which stories are offered to your fans we are, of course, in your capable hands. I'm still not sure why 'Cleaner' is so compelling but it is.

      Robyn H

      Delete
  2. oh cmon! please do just the next teeny tiny bit soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er... no.

      Oh alright. It will be soon. (Grins)

      Delete
  3. Well written, with D slipping more & more into being subservant to M & feeling the scron of the workers at the posh hotel, seeing a greta looking guy comeout of 'Dahlia's ' room. Also I like th e way she thinks about the money exchange & the lipsuction. I love the line of sweat collecting in the folds of my blloated body!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fucking rich bastards looking down their noses at a working stiff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always...great writing.
    Can´t wait for the next chapter, especially since the course for further developments might be set then...

    marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The next part does move things along.

      Delete
    2. "I found this great plastic surgeon..."

      Delete
    3. Not yet but maybe sometime...

      Delete
    4. after all "Melissa" will have to save for a long time in order to afford any procedure.

      Delete
    5. I suspect she'd be able to find somebody to help her with the finances...

      Delete
  6. *giggles* I always get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when you build up the tension.. :-) My buttons are well and truly pushed with this story - MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to continue pushing them for many years to come.

      Delete
  7. A thought you might mant M to get Lasik surgery on her eyes and end up with normal vision, while poor D continues to ruin her eyes with the glasses.

    ReplyDelete