Tuesday 31 March 2015

LADY ANN'S FOLLY: Chapter Ten - Part Eleven



“We’re almost there darling.”

Mavis had been dozing on the train but the sat up straight and looked across at Richard, faintly startled to remember where and who she was now.

“This is the Vale of Nockton,” said Richard. He smiled. “My home.”

Out the window were pretty open fields leading to the foot of a steep slope and a long ridgeline that was climbing in height as the train trundled along. Between the foot of the slope and the train track was a wide river that glittered in the sunlight. The train edged slowly closer to it until they were running along side by side. Through the opposite window at the other side of the passage, another slope swept up steeply. Their destination was evidently in a long U-shaped valley.

“It was I who had the track laid,” said Richard. “Nockton was once rather cut off but with the railway connection it has allowed commerce to grow massively. If I have my way the town will become a national hub of industrial production. I won’t go into detail – I think you’d find it rather too technical – but suffice to say it will continue to expand on the wealth that you will soon be sharing.”

Mavis beamed, thinking of all that money. She couldn’t believe her fortune to have stumbled into this new life. Every hour some new element came to light that made her more and more determined to keep what she had snatched forever.

“There,” said Richard, pointing ahead to the southern ridgeline. You can just make out the roof of Crackshaw. That is my home.”

Mavis peered past him, just able to make out the silhouette of a grand house. Again her heart swelled. “Oh Richard, darling, I am so looking forward to seeing it.”

He gave her a small smile of approval but Mavis’s heart clouded over at the sound of what she’d said. Her speech then had sounded very much like a toff. It disconcerted her at a deep level, the idea that some force was working on her mind, altering who she was and turning her into someone else. It wasn’t just the way she looked. Would she end up really thinking like that stuck up Lady Ann?

The train rattled as it went over a bridge. For a moment the river flashed up below, split by the bridge’s struts, and then it was gone. There were a few outlying building now and ahead Mavis could make out a more built up area. On the left they passed a castle and a fairly dense areas of very old buildings. Newer buildings came next and soon the town was there on both sides. Mavis got a flush of excitement. This was going to be her home for the rest of her life hopefully. She had never felt so optimistic.

Gladys appeared and fussed with the luggage. Mavis and Richard descended onto the platform. It wasn’t like Birmingham – there were only two platforms – but it was still a magnificent place and newly built.

“Did you have the station built as well?” asked Mavis.

“Of course my dear,” replied Richard. “The Hurley family have lived above Nockton for many years and my ancestors have been the most influential men toward the towns development, but it was only in mine and my father’s lifetime that the town’s expansion has exploded. As I said, I have grand plans for the future. Grand plans. Assuming nothing happens to divert my destiny I expect Nockton to become internationally renowned; to expand until it is a great glittering city famed for its industrial capacity.”

Mavis grinned, walking alongside him as Gladys hurried to find a porter and catch up with the luggage. “I’m so very glad we found each other,” she said, taking his arm.






18 comments:

  1. internationally renowned it is, well done Mr Hurley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. I hadn't thought of that. Nice.

      Delete
  2. at the risk of going all metaphysical, if destiny can be diverted was it ever really destiny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then again it wouldn't be changed would it, just diverted...onto someone else.

      Delete
    2. It's an interesting question...

      Delete
  3. that sigh you heard was caused by my diaphragm relaxing from the dopamine flooding my brain as I read your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you know that the secrets of Nockton Vale actually stemmed from Lady Ann?

      I was like... how can all the stories I write have a common link? The pendant was the first part of the Pattern that started to grow from that...

      Delete
    2. I had that thought it my head, sort of like the Hurleys disturbed something and let it loose without realizing it, but it was more a feeling than a thought. cool that that was "official"

      Delete
    3. That's a good idea but I didn't mean that. I mean that when I was (in the real world) formulating the setting of Nockton Vale I was looking to have all the stories connected by a common thread. How could Stuck, the Golden Gloom and Lady Ann all be connected?

      Well it was while writing Lady Ann that I came up with the idea. Remember how it was the Medallion of Zulo in Eric's original story and my first draft? When I changed that it all came together in my head.

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised he let her touch him in public.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was probably excited about coming home to his ancestral home and for once let his guard down

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably still fantasizing about Burt.

      Delete
    2. Heh heh. Well it was fairly chaste. he wouldn't have allowed a kiss. And yes, he was probably distracted.

      Delete
  6. random thought: how is Mavis' head for violence, Burt likes it Ann hates it. how does Mavis feel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she likes it. Remember the boxing match? That was when she fell for Burt again.

      Delete
  7. here's a thought. if Hattie is confident that the person "inside" Mavis isn't her real sister then how will she feel about the earl's body desiring Mavis'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now THERE'S a question...

      (Looks mysterious)

      Delete