Wednesday 27 May 2015

LADY ANN'S FOLLY: Chapter Twelve - Part One

A Crucial Decision 


Lord Richard Hurley’s house was astoundingly opulent. Entering Griply Hall, for Mavis, had been like walking through a dreamland of wealth, but this was on a far higher level.

Crackshaw was several times the size for a start. This was not a simple layout that could be learned quickly, it was a vast and sprawling manse, and the furnishings and ornaments were far more luxurious. Walking round now, following the servant that was guiding her, Mavis realised the difference in the wealth between Griply’s Earl and this family. Much of the furniture in Griply Hall was old and, now she thought about it, comparatively make-do. The Hurleys had crafted this residence to showcase their financial prosperity at every nook and corner.

And clearly from what Richard had talked about on the journey, their wealth was growing. He seemed to be investing vast amounts of money into the twin towns in the valley, Nockton and Barton, with every intention of building the industry and commerce up until it superseded all but London in scope. With his obvious acumen, Mavis didn’t doubt it would happen.

And to think, soon she would be marrying into this if she could possibly manage it. All she had to do was keep hold of Lady Ann’s life and it really would happen!

She smirked to herself to imagine that as the servant stopped next to a tall door and tapped lightly. He stepped in ahead of her and in a sombre tone said, “Lady Ann my lady.”

“Thank you Thompson,” came an elderly but firm voice from within. “That will be all.”

Mavis went into the room, a densely decorated living room, to see Richard’s mother, Lillian, sitting in a high backed chair that looked like nothing else but a throne. Beside her a sour-faced female servant about the same age as her stood guard. The servant glared without blinking as Mavis stepped fully inside and Thompson withdrew, closing her in.

Richard wasn’t with her. He was doing business down in town. Mavis had been given time to settle in her bed chamber and then she had been summoned for this audience with his mother.

The old woman seemed neither welcoming nor happy. On the contrary, she looked on Mavis with open distrust and maybe even enmity.

Mavis felt highly intimidated by the titled lady. She generally had no problem with standing up for herself but that was mostly on her own turf and among members of her class. People of the quality still made her feel uneasy and she didn’t like how cut off she felt from her familiar landmarks and people.

“Come in Ann,” said Lillian.

Mavis went to take a seat.

“I’d rather you stood for what I am about to say,” said the old lady.

Mavis eyed the nearby chair, wondering what would happen if she sat anyway.

“I don’t think you’ve met my housekeeper, Frieda,” said Lillian.

Mavis gave her a guarded smile. Frieda gazed back blankly.

“I’m sure you feel tired after your long journey,” said Lillian, “but also very happy at the prospect of spending time at your fiancé’s estate her in the Vale of Nockton.”

“Yes,” said Mavis. “I am.”

“Well I feel I must begin by disabusing you of any false notions you may have regarding my son’s intentions. If you think him some simpering romantic fool who longs to write poetry for you then you are entirely mistaken.”

Any trace of a smile slipped away from Mavis’s face.

“When my son came to me and told me that he was seeking a wife, I will admit that I disapproved strongly,” said Lillian. “He felt that his business dealing would be much improved with a beautiful titled lady at his side. I, by contrast, feel that women are ill-equipped for the business life and that any woman given even a semblance of station, weak though her position may actually be, will serve only as a distraction to the business dealings Richard wishes to pursue.”

Lillian stopped speaking and simply regarded Mavis. Mavis narrowed her eyes a little, considered talking back sharply, but didn’t.

“I’m sure you come here filled with hope and ideals,” said Lillian, “but I want to make it clear that I see your true intentions as clearly as if I were reading your diary.”

Mavis said nothing. The old lady was going to say her piece. All she could do was listen.

“You are here for Richard’s money; pure and simple. You come from your grubby little provincial estate in the north where the money is starting to run out; a family of glorified farmers; and you see wealth beyond your reach, and you grasp at it with eager little fingers. That’s true isn’t it?”

Mavis looked back at the old woman thinking to herself, You’ve got it in one grandma, but instead of saying that out loud, she did her best to do a perfect Lady Ann and managed to say quite accurately, “Oh no, not at all. I am very much in love with Richard. I just want to be the best wife to him I can be.”

Lillian gave a throaty chuckle. “My dear, when you get to be as old as I am you come to understand that the fact that love does not exist is a certainty. Silly girls and addle-brained men make themselves believe in it for short periods but in the end they all realise their mistakes. Still... I would approve of a simpering idiot more readily than a gold-digger. Perhaps you will do after all.”

Mavis wondered whether to speak but was afraid of two things: that her accent wouldn’t hold up and that she might end up clocking the fractious old biddy round the face.

“I am sure you are eager to begin planning the wedding Ann,” said Lillian, “but as Richard may have already mentioned, I will be doing the planning myself. I understand you were hoping for the ceremony to take place in York Minster. As a concession to you I think we can allow that but any other details will be decided by me. Is that clear? Things must be done correctly and they can be left to some country bumpkin who likely doesn’t know which way round a knife and fork are meant to be laid. The guest list will also be chosen by me in collusion with Richard. The majority of the guests will be made up of my son’s business connections. The wedding will be an invaluable opportunity to plan new business endeavours.”

Lillian folded her hands in her lap and watched Mavis, waiting for some kind of angry response. Mavis did not give one. Instead she said, “I am so grateful that you are such a well-organised and intelligent woman. Richard is very lucky to have you as his mother.”

Lillian gave another chuckle, her eyes glittering.

Mavis smiled back at her sweetly.





20 comments:

  1. WOW This is some welcome. More andmore thi story reminds me of a comic verisonof doughton ambey, only welcome written. I'm not sure how or even if you are going to do or how, but I suspect that every on will stay in their current body. That medellion seems to be cursed.
    Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't promise people will stay in their current bodies. Anything could happen!

      Delete
  2. its kind of funny that every prejudice that Lillian has about Yorkshire and its people may be...reinforced by her acquaintance with "Ann"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ironically by becoming Ann and moving to Nockton I think Mavis may have lowered her relative social position.

      Delete
  3. Let the game's begin
    who will win in the end Anne or Lillian

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they'll both lose!

      Delete
    2. what do you think Lillian's opinion of her son's business sense is?

      Delete
    3. She thinks it's pure awesomeness.

      Delete
    4. perhaps she thinks she could do better? Pity that she won't get a chance to find out.

      Delete
    5. Or will she!?!?!?

      Heh heh. Just kidding. That really isn't going to happen.

      Delete
  4. LOL! I love that idea. Either is exacrly a loveable person.
    One of the manhy thingsI like about this storhy is how well the earl is becoming themaid , too funny. If they regain thir orginal bodies will he live in terror if 'her' doing it again & treat her well? Too funny. The person I feel sorriet for is Reggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the new Reggie or the old one?

      Delete
  5. When Tory MP referred to Michael Hesletine (also a Tory MP) as someone who had to buy their own furniture it was intended as put down of the nouveau riche - someone who had to stoop to trade to make money rather than be from a wealthy heritage. So I guess Lady Ann's family, with it's old furniture to be from a higher class with an aristocratic background than the Hurley's who seem to be 'in trade'. Perhaps Richard is marrying Ann so that a little of her heritage rubs off on him and his mother should appreciate that. Of course, what he is marrying is the native nous that Mavis has acquired as a barmaid and probably all the better for it :)

    Glad you're posting again albeit at a slower rate. I suspect I'm not alone in guessing young Felix would demand rather more of your time than you thought and I was surprised when new episodes started appearing so soon. Best wishes to you both. We're all quite happy, I'm sure, to take second (or even lower) place to him.

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. Yes. The little rascal does take up a lot of time.

      I get the impression that Richard is new money, though he is called Lord Hurley... Can you buy into that kind of title?

      Delete
  6. It seems I missed out the name of the posh Tory MP in my comment. It was, of course, Alan Clarke son of the historian.

    I did find it slightly odd that Richard is Lord Hurley given his mother's attitude to Ann. I would have thought she'd be more interested in Ann's heritage than if she were likely to distract her son from his money making activities. Since the story pre-dates life peerages by some decades perhaps he could be an Irish peer but it is a bit of a problem. As I'm sure you know, the British class system is arcane and long lasting and not to be understood properly by we mere commoners :)

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say, the claws are out! lol

    Cheers
    Zapper

    ReplyDelete