Thursday 7 May 2015

LADY ANN'S FOLLY: Chapter Eleven - Part Eight

The Countess Elizabeth Ann Neville hated being a little boy more than she’d ever hated anything.

She squirmed where she sat on the edge of the picnic blanket, hyperaware of her pudgy little body and short limbs, the ridiculous sailor suit she had been forced to put on.

Yes, she had been getting well into middle age; yes, she had been rather obese; but she missed her feminine body. She wanted to go back to it. And more than anything she missed her identity and position. Of all people she didn’t want to be Reggie. That immature little tyke had been nothing but a source of mild irritation ever since he was a baby. Being stuck in this role was dreadful – everyone treated her with disdain or disregard. She hated being talked down to and she hated the fact that at any moment she might actually be physically brutalised by the man who thought he was her father. Even worse though was having to act like a child in front of her own family. Oh, why wasn’t Howard doing more to help her? Why was he insisting she pretend?

But Howard wasn’t even there to watch over her anymore. He had spirited off the real Reggie to prevent him acting like a child. Even Hattie had gone off and Elizabeth suddenly realised that she was alone with people who truly believed her to be Reggie. If the worst were to happen – if some terrible accident occurred to Howard and the false Countess – then she would be stuck with them for the rest of her life. She shuddered at the thought of that. She couldn’t abide the notion of having to remain a boy. She wanted her own life back. She needed it!

“Reggie, wipe that scowl off your face,” snapped Patrick, her erstwhile brother-in-law and current father. “I’m tired of your sulking. Eat something for goodness sake.”

Elizabeth eyed the food, reluctant to do anything but stew in her juices. She didn’t want to take any kind of action as Reggie; especially not interacting with others. She felt trapped enough as it was. Doing things and talking only made her feel her new stature and limited status all the more.

“You heard your father Reginald,” said Geraldine. “Do as you’re told. Come here and have a sandwich.”

Elizabeth couldn’t reach the sandwiches. She had to crawl forward on her hands and knees to do so, feeling every bit the little boy that she was. She took up a chicken sandwich and chewed it morosely.

“Mother, Reggie stole the last chicken sandwich,” whined Felicity. “I was just about to have it.”

Elizabeth stared at the little girl, amazed by the situation she was finding herself in.

“Reggie!” exclaimed Patrick. “I’ve warned you about being selfish!”

“But...” she stammered. “You told me to eat something. And why should Felicity get to eat it rather than me?”

Patrick’s expression clouded over. His face darkened, cheeks becoming red. “Did you just talk back to me my lad?”

Elizabeth quailed before his simmering fury. “No. Not at all. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it.”

“I’ve had just about enough of you today young man,” he said. “You mind yourself or you’ll feel the back of my hand.”

“No!” cried Elizabeth.

Patrick, Geraldine and Felicity all gaped at her in astonishment.

“What did you say?” asked Patrick.

“I’ve had enough of this,” said Elizabeth. “I won’t be treated like a little boy when that isn’t who I am.”

Patrick and Geraldine exchanged a look.

“I may look like Reggie,” she continued, “but I’m not him. I’m Elizabeth; the Countess; Howard’s wife. It was magic that did this to me. Reggie and I have exchanged forms but in actuality I’m meant to be a grown woman.”

There was a long silence. Elizabeth felt her cheeks colour. She was starting to get a very bad feeling and when she went on speaking her voice was faltering; diminishing in confidence.

“I appreciate how difficult this might be to believe but, you see, in a way I made a wish to be young again and Reggie wished that he could be me and before I knew it we had transformed. I, er... I know you might find this difficult to accept, but it’s true.”

Patrick’s face was almost purple now, the whites of his eyes bright by contrast. He started tersely rolling up his sleeves. “We have brought you up to be a young gentleman Reggie. I made myself believe that we had done a decent job.”

“Wait,” said Elizabeth fearfully. “Please just listen.”

“We bring you on a visit to your aunt and uncle’s house; we take you to a beautiful spot for a picnic; and you repay us with this behaviour! By telling lies!”

“No,” cried Elizabeth. “I’m telling the truth; really!”

“Don’t you dare talk back to me young man!” bellowed Patrick, snatching forward with his long arm so quickly that she didn’t have a hope of avoiding his grasp.

“Wait! No! I’m not your son!”

WHACK!

Patrick slapped Elizabeth hard across the cheek and she gaped at him in shock. She started to whimper and tears formed in her eyes. “Really,” she said. “I’m Elizabeth, not Reggie. Why won’t you believe me?”

“I won’t have any son of mine spouting such nonsense,” said Patrick, “and if you won’t do as you’re told then I’ll have to teach you a lesson another way.” He pulled her shorts down in one quick motion and Elizabeth squealed in terror. Patrick drew back his hand.

“Please Patrick, no!” cried Elizabeth.

WHACK!

“Please!”

WHACK!

WHACK!

WHACK!

WHACK!

The tears were streaming down her cheeks now. She was horrified by what was happening to her. Over and over Patrick slapped her on the leg and each time it brought it home to her how impossible her situation was.

Nobody was going to believe her that she wasn’t meant to be a child. Only Howard could help her.

Oh, why had she been so stupid as to tell them who she was? She should have just pretended. She should have just acted like Reggie.

She should have done everything she could to act exactly like the little boy she was.





8 comments:

  1. Comply. its for your own good. what buzzing, I don't hear any buzzing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she should have done as she was told. Is it just me or is it funny that that is everyone's opinion at this point her "father" "Howard" herself. hell even the servants listening (do you think "Nellie" heard?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right.

      I don't think the new Nellie heard.

      Delete
  3. You know this is a really good chapter in terms of the internal conflict going on within Elizabeth. I mean she's an adult and on an intellectual level knows that no one is going to believe in magic and the body swap, but as a child she lacks impulse control. So the juxtaposition of her two natures is beautiful when she breaks down and claims to be Elizabeth. Bravo!

    Cheers
    Zapper

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol - its always fun to use juxtaposition when you can! Almost as much fun as referring to one's self in the third person! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Referring to oneself in the third person is what Emmas do best!

      Delete