Wednesday 19 November 2014

LADY ANN'S FOLLY: Chapter Seven - Part Two

Nellie Barrow did not feel at all comfortable.

As the newest member of indoor staff she still felt very uncomfortable being called up to assist one of the Neville family without any of the other servants there for guidance. She was still very much on trial and any kind of error on her part could easily lead to her dismissal. She didn’t know the layout of the manor well enough yet and she didn’t understand all of the house traditions. In fact it had unsettled her to be sent up at all. She didn’t think it was ready.

Worst was that she had been summoned to Lady Harriet’s room by the bell and as she’d the kitchens to go up, Lottie had giggled and said, “Be careful of that one. Lady Ann can be as nasty as the Devil himself but that one’s the one who scares me.”

All the way upstairs, Nellie had thought about that, trying to understand what it meant and becoming progressively apprehensive. She was only a maid. She didn’t understand rich folk. She wondered if she was even cut out for serving work. She was far too anxious to cope with the tension.

When she reached Lady Harriett’s door and was called in, she moved with cautious trepidation, eyes wide, shoulders slightly hunched, almost as though she might at any moment be struck. “Good evening m’lady,” she said. “How can I ‘elp you?”

Hattie gave her a strange look. “It’s more a case of how I can help you. Sit down.”

Nellie’s eyes went even wider.

“It’s alright,” said Hattie. “I want to talk to you.”

Feeling even more ill at ease, Nellie took a seat on the edge of a chair, hands clasped in her lap. She gave Hattie a little smile but questioned herself immediately as to whether it was appropriate and concluded it wasn’t. Hattie regarded her quietly for the better part of a minute then started to speak.

“You name is Nellie. Is that correct?”

Nellie nodded. “Yes m’lady.”

“And how do you find your life as a maid?”

Nellie wondered if the question should be answered directly and truthfully who whether the lady only wanted to hear a positive response. “I’m very happy miss, and grateful for the opportunity to work for such an illustrious family.”

“You can tell me how you really feel Nellie. I won’t tell you off.”

Nellie looked stricken, thinking about Lottie’s warning as she was leaving the kitchen. “Honestly miss. I enjoy me duties.”

“It must be difficult in a new post to understand what is expected of you. I expect you worry you might get things wrong and be dismissed.”

The accuracy of Hattie’s assessment unnerved Nellie but it also made her feel more at ease. The pretty lady certainly seemed to understand what life was like in service. Perhaps Lottie was wrong about her after all. “It can be challengin’,” said Nellie reluctantly.

“And it must be awful to be ordered about all day I expect,” said Hattie.

“Well... It’s just life miss, in’it?”

“Hmmm. I suppose you could say that. But what would you say if I offered you the chance to experience a different life for a short time?”

Nellie frowned, unsure. “Beggin your pardon m’lady, but I don’t quite follow.”

Hattie smiled. “I need your assistance with a little trick I’m going to play,” she said. “On my father.”

“The Earl?” asked Nellie fearfully.

“Yes. The Earl. That’s right.” Hattie’s smiled became more mingled with mirth and excitement.

“I’ll do anything you need me to do miss, of course,” said Nellie, eager to please, “but if you don’t mind my saying I’m not sure his lordship would approve of me being involved in a...”

“A trick.”

“That’s right miss. I wouldn’t want to get in trouble. This position means everything to me. I couldn’t lose it.”

“I understand Nellie,” replied Hattie. “And I can assure you, this won’t get you in trouble as long as you follow my instructions to the letter.”

Nellie eyed Lady Harriet tremulously, her untried instincts telling her that this was a bare-faced lie, but she daren’t go against the good lady. “Very well miss. Just tell me what to do.”

Hattie smiled. “Good girl.” She straightened. “For my trick to work I need to take a series of actions, the first of which involves you.”

Nellie nodded.

 “Do you believe in magical enchantment Nellie?”

The skinny girl considered again whether to answer truthfully or to say the answer she thought the lady wanted to hear. Before she could make her decision, Hattie continued, taking out a little box with a hinged lid and opening it to reveal an odd pendant.

“This item holds a powerful enchantment Nellie. It holds the power to allow two people to give their bodies in trade to one another. This is what I want you to do. I want you to lend me your body for a while so that I can play my trick. In the meantime I will leave you here safely in mine.”

“Goodness gracious,” said Nellie, not knowing what to believe. “Surely you don’t... You don’t mean for that to really happen?”


Hattie got to her feet, still smiling. “Well we won’t know until we try, will we?” Her smiled broadened. “Get undressed.” 

7 comments:

  1. Whoops. I hope Hattie likes sweeping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you talking about? Nothing's going to go wrong!

      Delete
    2. of course not, she has it all planned out perfectly and everything is under control...

      Delete
  2. Famous last words

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goody, a lady/maid switch story, my favourite.
    Take off your clothes, why?
    I`ll know soon enough I suppose.
    BillA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I like them too. This swap is a little bit different because Hattie's intentions are still murky but all will eb revealed soon.

      Delete