Monday 20 October 2014

CLEANER: Chapter Seven - Part One



Up Ante

MELISSA

I felt eager and happy as I got off the bus and walked up the lane to Summer top and that became actual excitement as I let myself in and met Dahlia on the stairs.

She stopped when she saw me and started back up. She was grinning too, just as pleased as I was to be on the cusp of another little adventure. We hurried upstairs with a lightness in my heart I hadn't felt in years; a childlike quality.

Dahlia had gone on another spending spree by the look of it and seeing all the bags brought a shadow of resentment that I tried to consciously disregard. I didn't want the shimmers to end. But the crack let in a further shadow, this time just the loosest bit of disdain, to her and her queer passions. She was chattering, rooting through the bags, but I'd been knocked clear off the track. I took a deep breath and made myself smile, tried to get back on again.

"Take a look at this," said Dahlia, lifting a new outfit from one of the bags. it took me a second to get it and then my eyes went wide.

"Is that...?"

"A uniform," said Dahlia. "Isn't it perfect?"

I frowned, unsure if she meant for me to wear it. But surely this was just part of the ongoing game and an outfit for her.

It was cream coloured with red trim on the ends of the sleeves and on various other parts. There was no doubt about its function or form.

"You're going to wear that?" I asked.

"Yes. And I've got some more outfits for you." She busied through the other bags, layiing out an array of possibilities. "As well as these." She presented me with a small plastic case made of two squat overlapping circles, a lid on each.

I regarded them and her quizzically then cringed when the penny dropped. “Contact lenses? No way.”

“Just give them a try. You might like them. And they’ll make such a difference to our little game; don’t you think?”

In the mirror, my sorrowful bespectacled eyes gazed back at me. “Okay... I suppose I could try them.”

“Great! Come through to the bathroom. The optician showed me the principles.”

She dragged me into the bathroom and removed my glasses clumsily and eagerly. As my vision blurred I was left momentarily confused, questioning why she was so intent on “changing” me. Could it be that it emphasised her own change somehow in her mind? Was that it?

She chattered while she helped me with them, teaching me what the optician had taught her, smiling all the while in her excitement as though I were her sister and I’d just received a Christmas present she wanted to play with as much as I did.

I really didn’t want to put the lenses in my eyes but part of me was drawn to it. Could I really look like her if I did it? Or more like her? Would I really feel like a beautiful model when it was done? When I had the wig and clothes to complement it? Dahlia’s delight was rubbing off on me almost uncomfortably powerfully but I gave an inward shrug. It was only in good fun. Why not ride it as long as I could?

First one contact lens went in and then the other and it was the most remarkable thing: to suddenly be able to see again without my glasses – to feel like I did when I was a little girl! Dahlia was beaming at me and I laughed, absolutely delighted.

By the time I was done marvelling and went back out to the bedroom, Dahlia was dressed in the cleaner uniform and she looked a sight. She’d got a pair of matching mules on bare feet and the ensemble was undeniable now. There was no room at all for misinterpretation. With that outfit on she instantly became a certified member of that degrading and humble class of women; that invisible and ubiquitous mass of unseen servants picking up the discarded remnants of the better off.

The uniform didn’t flatter her figure. It made her look fuller round the middle... unless... Unless my theory was correct that she had snuck some padding in there. It had to be that. Her tummy looked fuller now than it had during our last swap and I’d been fairly certain then that something was amiss.

I didn’t say anything; just smiled back at her scoffing a little inside at the silliness of all this. If it wasn’t so blatantly in my favour I would have been laughing in her face. 

She started to put on the wig, tucking her blond curls inside a hair net. Settling the straight brown bob and fringe into place reinforced her apparent position even more; made her look ordinary; emphasised by her lack of make-up. She still had pretty features but no one would have pegged her for being a rich model in a million years.

Then she reached for her glasses and the transformation became complete.

When she put them on they distorted her eyes a little and subtly seemed to alter the shape of her face, especially with the crash helmet sides of her hair coming down, concealing the contour to her cheeks.

“Wow,” I said, amazed.

Dahlia smiled and checked herself in the mirror, instantly dazzled by what she was seeing. I shook my head and reached for my own wig of long curly blond hair.

It was all so unreal; that we were engaged in this; but that unreality made me feel light-hearted and full of energy.

Dahlia helped me with my makeup again and when it was done we stood side by side, admiring our new looks.

We didn’t look like each other – not really – but we did look totally different and we looked natural in our temporary roles. I looked like the rich woman who owned this place. She looked like the cleaner.

It was uncanny.

Nice... but uncanny.

20 comments:

  1. Like this, how Melissa is kind of thinking about laughing in her face, if she could, but then also getting excited and energised by the swap. She's going a little further but as someone was discussing before, her motivations are more selfish than for the end of living the fantasy for itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I really enjoy the submarine intentions of Melissa's darker side, slowly nudging at Dahlia and pushing it further along but for entirely different reasons.

      Delete
  2. Dahlia becoming one of the

    "degrading and humble class of women; that invisible and ubiquitous mass of unseen servants picking up the discarded remnants of the better off"

    ....is particularly tasty, by the way :) Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its strange, despite Melissa's derision in a strange way she is Dahlia's friend. Melissa is angry enough that she effectively can't feel any other emotion. that could be a problem later on...for someone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. There are no signs of pleasant connectons in Melissa's life. I guess she's so bitter that she can't help being derisive on the inside but Dahlia probably really is her best friend.

      Shame that doesn't seem to be how she sees it.

      Delete
  4. Wow ! Emma,
    This gets better and better. Of course it do`snt matter if they actually look like one another as long as the look right in their respective roles, (for now anyway).
    I`m looking forward to Dahlia`s reaction and her subsequent downward spiral as she becomes more addicted to her desires.
    I`m also looking forward to the moment when Melissa realises the power she will be able to wield if she "pulls the right strings".
    BillA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're looking forward to the same things. If it goes that far. Don't forget this is a different animal from the original story. Anything could happen.

      Delete
    2. That's what makes this new version so much more interesting (and dare I say better?) than Cleaner v1.0. That Dahlia and Melissa could actually really look like each other was always a stretch but that they could change places even though they ae different people than the originals is more likely ... and more compelling.

      "We didn’t look like each other – not really – but we did look totally different and we looked natural in our temporary roles. I looked like the rich woman who owned this place. She looked like the cleaner."

      Is the clincher as well as a truly frightening route for Dahlia to tread. She may live to regret it because soon Melissa's going to start playing for keeps I suspect.

      Lovely start to anew chapter with a significant title. Thanks for a story that keeps on giving.

      Robyn H

      Delete
    3. Thanks Robyn. Well we'll see how it develops. We still have two and a half books to explore these ideas in yet so anything could still happen.

      Delete
  5. mmmm the shifting tectonics of their relationship... soon that moment when a small but sudden shift moves things along irrevocably.. at least in Dahlia's mind and they start to perceive one another completely differently. This last part of Cleaner and the past few of Lady Ann are pure heaven :-) MikeW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I'm glad you approve. Irrevocability is a frightening but attractive concept.

      Delete
    2. I hear you, but I see it a little differently. Dahlia keeps making "mistakes" and they build on each other nothing so far is irrevocable, but were pretty sure she'll do it again tomorrow. that's the most interesting part to me the voluntary part. Who would choose this and why. What does that say about them. It's fascinating.

      Delete
    3. Yeah. That aspect was glossed over in the original story with very flimsy justification really, but with this new version it's the principle focus.

      Delete
  6. I add my voice to all the others.Excellent chapter this one. Melissa is amused and happy at the moment but her darker side is there ready to take over, sooner rather than later?

    Probably Dahlia should wear one of the tabards she bought on top of her uniform dress to fully complete the picture of a uniformed cleaner.

    Always waiting anxiously for the next chapter,

    Monica G

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the others this is definitely much better than the original and new friendships and roles are being forged between employer and employee

    Rob

    ReplyDelete