Thursday 27 February 2014

Lady Ann's Holiday: The Final Chapter - Part Twelve


Burt was crestfallen but he knew he couldn’t have expected better. He’d known for well over a week now that her ladyship was planning to keep his former life. He didn’t know really why he’d challenged her on it. There was never any chance that she would choose a servant’s life over her own existence of wealth and beauty.

He pulled his cap down further on his head, shoved his hands in his pockets, and started walking back to the hall, knowing that he was sure to be punished by Harry for taking out the stallion and worried that he might even lose his job.

His job.

It really was his job now and it always would be. The confrontation had come and gone. Her ladyship had the power and always would. He, by contrast, was powerless. The only thing he had to look forward to now was seeing Mavis later that evening, but even that seemed an empty promise. He and the former Burt had adored Lady Ann from afar for years and years and now, finally, he had kissed her. And that kiss had been everything to him. It had been the best moment of either life; the most perfect sensation he’d ever felt. His days could only ever be empty with the lack of it.

But what could he expect? He was just a servant. He was lucky he’d even had that.

He came toward the edge of the field where the gate was and raised his head, then paused. He stopped, confused. Then he frowned.

Lady Ann was waiting at the gate on foot. Both horses stood beside her and her face was calm and sad.

He didn’t know what to do at first but all he could do was go on walking.

He drew closer and closer to her and she went on watching him, smiling a little, until he stopped only a few feet away. That was when he saw the pendant hanging from her neck, the swirling grooves along its surface glistening.

“I’ve changed my mind Burt,” she said. She smiled, tears brimming in her eyes. “It was the former Ann who let her vindictiveness control her thinking. That isn’t who I am if I ever was. Come.” She raised her arms. “Embrace me. Become again who you are meant to be. Become Lady Ann and let me turn into Burt.”

He stepped closer. And again. He looked down at the pendant and then up into her dewy eyes. She looked so beautiful and at peace; resigned to the destiny she was willing to take on once more.

He took another step closer.

And then he shook his head. He opened his mouth, hesitated, then said, “That’s alright m’lady. I’m… I’m grateful for the offer; but I’m ‘appy bein a working man. I know that now.” He thought for a moment. “I didn’t know for sure until this second but I couldn’t never go back to bein a lady. I love being a bloke too much. I don’t wanna go back to me old life. I want to be Burt forever.”

“What?”

“I ain’t cut out to be quality,” he said. “All that thinkin and culture and decision makin… It makes me ‘ead sore to think about it.” He chuckled. “I’m just appy bein told what to do and getting on an’ doin it; maybes headin down’t pub after for a few bevvies; ‘avin me way with some lass. That’s what life’s all about.”

“Really Burt? Are you sure that’s what you want?” She touched his sleeve tenderly.

He asked himself that. Was it, really? Did he want to be a servant; to be ordered around and told what to do; to work hard all day and have precious little cash to show for it?

“Aye,” he said. “I’m more th’n ‘appy to stay like this and you’re welcome to remain as ye are. I wouldn’t know what to do with meself as a lady. I’m far too used to being a man now an I like it. I wouldn’t never want to be nothin else. And there’s the matter of the oath I made to ‘im wot pays me wages, the Earl. I gave ‘im me word as a man that I’d never give up me responsibilities as ‘is servant willingly and a man’s word is sacred. Me old da taught me that and I ain’t never broken mine.”

“You’d hold to a vow you made to be a good servant, even with a life of riches within your reach?”

“Aye miss. O’course. Me word as a man means an eck of a lot more to me than money and a bunch of frilly dresses.”

Ann looked at him, feeling bewildered, not comprehending what could make him want to choose servility over wealth; but he did look content. He had looked content really ever since she had come back. She wondered whether he might even be getting the better deal.

“You’re a good man Burt,” she whispered. “A good, strong, hard-working man. You should be proud of yourself.”

He smiled broadly. “Thank you m’lady. That means a lot comin from you.”

She went to touch his cheek, but held her hand an inch away then lowered it back down to her thigh.

“I shan’t… I shan’t be ungenerous. You shouldn’t have to pay the price for this. You shouldn’t have to live in poverty. I’ll see to it that your wages are doubled. You won’t have to go without.”

“That’s right generous of you I’m sure m’lady,” said Burt. He paused in deep thought for a moment. “But I’ll ave to say no I’m afraid.”

“What?”

“It’s right temptin and no mistake, but... well, it wouldn’t be right for me to get more than I’ve earned. It wouldn’t be proper. And it wouldn’t be fair on old ‘Arry and the other servants. I does me a man’s work and I gets a man’s pay at the end of it. That’s good enough for me.”

Ann didn’t know what to say. “Alright Burt. If you’re sure.”

“I am at that m’lady. I’m just sorry I embarrassed ye by bringin it up. You was right when you said I shouldn’t be talkin to you directly. It won’t ‘appen again I promise ye.”

He tipped his cap and stepped back, and just like that, the conversation was over. “Might I elp ye get these ‘orses back oop to the ‘all m’lady?”

Still feeling disarmed, Ann nodded and allowed Burt to take the rein of the stallion. He opened the gate and led it through and without another word she followed him.

7 comments:

  1. you wouldn't think so at first, but I think "Burt" is getting the better end of the deal. he has much narrower horizons, but within them its his choice that matters.
    Picture two dogs, one a big German Shepperd that it fenced in the yard. he never goes any where, but within that yard he can choose what to do and where to do it. now picture a small chihuahua, carried around in a woman's hand bag. he goes wherever she goes which may be the park, a restaurant or wherever, but he never takes one step without permission. which one is freer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I'm not sure he has that many choices, but certainly he has structure and purpose.

      I see both characters as constrained. The difference is that one has the illusion of control.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps choice is the wrong word. what I was getting at was other than while at work where he likes it no one tells Burt what to do, whereas Ann is told what to do all the time and hates it.

      Delete
    3. Yeah. She's under tremendous pressure to act a certain way.

      (Muses)

      I guess we are all under that same pressure. It becomes so ingrained we don't think about it. Maybe she would grow to accept it too... assuming she doesn't do anything rash.

      Delete