Friday 21 February 2014

Lady Ann's Holiday: The Final Chapter - Part Nine


Ann left the house without a word to anyone inside and started down toward the stable, absolutely determined.

She passed down the path quickly, hoping that she wouldn’t even see Burt, but as she approached the stable he came down from the left.

They both halted, looking at one another, then Ann called to him.

“Burt. Fetch me my horse and saddle her. I’m taking her out immediately.”

He faltered then tremulously said, “I was ‘opin I might ave a word m’lady, if that’s alright by you.”

“No. It isn’t alright. I’m busy. Mind your station. If you wish to communicate to a member of the family you will do so through the proper channels.”

“But—”

“Through the proper channels. You are not to address me directly. Is that clear?”

He shut his mouth but stood still, staring, struggling to build up the confidence to speak. “But it’s important m’lady.”

“No it isn’t.” Ann started to turn away.

“It is m’lady. And I think you know why.”

Ann stopped. She turned back to face him. “You are a stable hand Burt Harper. I am your mistress. You will do as I say. Do you understand?” She paused. He said nothing but his eyes quivered. “Now fetch me my horse before I have you flogged.”

Burt didn’t move. He had seen the pendant round her neck and he could tell from her expression that this was his last and only chance. He didn’t know what her plans were for it but he could tell that it would rob him of his opportunity once and for all.

Ann pointed toward the stable. “Get… me… my… horse.”

Burt stood there, hands shaking at his sides, then he lowered his head and did as he was instructed. What other choice did he have?

He went into the darkened interior, only then seeing Harry inside, working at his little workbench desk, squinting at his crumpled papers. “What’s that ruckus going on out there?”

“Nothin,” said Burt. He went through to Rosebud’s stall and saddled her up. He knew that he should face her ladyship now before the chance slipped through his fingers, but there was no point fighting. He’d proved time and again that he had no strength of will to stand up to his betters. He had the heart of a servant and he always would.

Looking and feeling forlorn, he led the horse outside to where Ann waited impatiently. He helped her on dutifully, wrestling with his conscience and his compunction. When he looked up at her, handing her the reins, she was looking straight into his eyes, compassion there suddenly where moments ago there had been only irritation and scorn.

“This is for the best Burt,” she said. “We both know that.”

“But m’lady…”

“Hyah!” She tapped the flank of the horse and it trotted up the drive, leaving Burt once again watching her ride away.

He stepped after her then halted.

“I’ve watched you give your heart to that woman for years.”

Burt turned. Old Harry was leaning against the stable doorway, his expression earnest and empathic. “Yearning for her; imagining a life with her.” He gave a humourless chuckle. “But she ain’t never going to choose you Burt. You do know that. A gentlewoman like that wouldn’t touch a man like you, or me, if a million years went by. Because she’s an entirely different class. She’s better than us. Or thinks she is at least. And with her money, that’s enough.” He fixed Burt in his gaze and spoke very quietly. “You ‘ave to put her out of your mind forever my boy. Or you’ll never be ‘appy. You ‘ave to accept what you got and just do your best to work ‘ard.”

Burt stood quietly, then slowly nodded. Then just as slowly, he shook his head. “No ‘Arry,” he said.

“Eh?”

Burt walked to the stable and went inside. He opened the nearest stall where the Earl’s stallion was kept and quickly tied a bridle round its head.

“Burt? What the devil do you think you’re doing with that?”

He led the stallion out into the light. “I’m going after her,” he said.

“What? You’ll do no such thing! Come away from that ‘orse right now!”

Burt looked back at the old man. He knew he should follow his orders – do as he was told. Every instinct screamed at him to do so.

“No ‘Arry. Sorry.” Burt took hold of the reins and leapt up onto the stallion’s bare back, sliding into place and gripping tight with his legs. “You can punish me as much as you like when I get back; I’ll work all night if I ave to, to make up me time; but there’s somethin that I gotta do.”

“Burt! Get down from there. Right now!”

“Yah!”

Burt slapped the rein on both sides of the stallions neck and then gave it two sharp jabs in its flank and with a loud neigh it turned and galloped up the drive after Lady Ann.

4 comments:

  1. "you have to accept what you got" that isn't a piece of advice that anyone in this story seems able to accept. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God! It's all coming to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly leave us hanging there! Can't wait to see how it ends!

    ReplyDelete