Monday 17 February 2014

Lady Ann's Holiday: The Final Chapter - Part Seven




Still feeling rather despondent, Ann wandered the big empty house, continuing to reflect on the Countess’s words. It felt like a prison sentence in its way. All this wealth and she was still trapped in a flaccid and pointless existence.

She ought to get back to planning her wedding. That gave the promise of structure and a worthwhile goal, though she wondered about the emptiness beyond it with Richard working constantly and her stuck alone in his ancestral home, Crackshaw, knowing no one locally and standing lonely and aloof above a sea of blank-faced servants.

She needed reassurance and so she went to the one man who could give it; the man who very soon would dominate her life.

Richard was ensconced in the Earl’s study, going over more papers; reports that he’d had sent here from Nockton Vale by his business manager.

“Ah Ann. I was wondering what had happened to you.” He gave her a perfunctory smile. “I think we shall go to Crackshaw the day after tomorrow. There was a letter from my mother among these papers. She’s looking forward to meeting you.”

Ann opened her mouth and then closed it again, realising dully that she had been given no choice in the matter. She wondered what would happen if she disagreed… but chose not to. She didn’t think she could face a power struggle when she was already feeling fragile.

“I think you and she will get along splendidly, as long as you know your place.”

“My... place?”

“Of course. She is mistress of Crackshaw and always will be. As long as you understand that then you will both get along famously.”

“Oh.” Ann frowned, looking away. “But… I assumed that as your wife…”

“Yes?”

She flushed. “It sounds silly, but... I assumed that I would be in charge of the household.”

Richard lowered his head, smiling with taut cheeks, his eyes showing only ill humour. “Perhaps this would be an appropriate time to lay out a few principles Ann my dear. I wouldn’t want you to enter into a contract, matrimonial or otherwise, without first understanding your rights and responsibilities.” He smiled again and smoothed his voice out, almost as though speaking to a child. “As my wife, you will appear as hostess at business dinners. This is your primary function. You don’t need to plan or arrange the dinners – my mother is more than capable of doing that. All you will need to do is look attractive; as I can assure you, you always do; and talk amicably to the wives of my business partners. You are a very charming woman on the whole and with a bit of polishing I am sure you will be more than capable of fulfilling that role.”

There was a long pause.

“I see,” replied Ann. “I hadn’t entirely understood before now.”

“In return for this service, you will become accustomed to riches beyond even the dreams of your good father, and you will continue to enjoy them, under the protective wing of my mother, while I travel on my many and varied business dealings.”

Ann let her hands fall to her sides. She said nothing.

“It will be a wonderful life for a woman of leisure I can assure you,” said Richard.

Ann’s hands closed into fists. She shut her eyes tightly then she relaxed her eyelids but didn’t open them immediately. When they did fall open the question found her lips that seemed so elegant in its simplicity.

A test.

A question that would verify this man’s intentions, or at least offer some measure of hope. When she spoke, her voice was deeper; saturated with air.

 “Will you kiss me Richard?”

He looked up at her.

All he had to do was to say yes and she would follow him anywhere. She would trust in him and this life he had already precisely mapped out.

Just one kiss. That was all she needed.

Richard looked down at his papers, scanning left to right. He looked back up at her. He gave another almost mechanical smile, but then his cheeks softened and his eyes with them, and he said, “Of course darling. I love you more than anything on this Earth. Of course I will kiss you.”

Moisture came to Ann’s eyes and a smile of relief curled her lips. She stepped close to him, lowering her head. Her eyes slipped closed. Richard’s hand touched her cheek. They came together, her lips touching his.

It was going to be alright. She knew that now. All her life lay out before her with this rich and wonderful man. All she had to do was trust in him; and surely she could. He was her fiancé.

Then the kiss ended; less than a second after it had begun.

Ann remained there at his face but her eyes came open and she realised that his had never closed.

They remained there like that, almost as though a second kiss would come and for a moment, Ann thought that it might; that all this might be saved after all.

But instead, Richard’s cheeks became taut again, followed by that tight-lipped smile and he said. “I am working Ann dear. I wonder if we could discuss this further another day.”

She didn’t move. She couldn’t.

“Yes Richard. You’re right. Of course.” She straightened, checking her clothes were straight. “I apologise for disturbing you. I must learn to respect your privacy when you’re working.”

“Yes.” Another perfunctory smile.

“I won’t do it again,” she replied.

And then she left.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like this would be an appropriate time for a snarky but poetic line about exotic, beautiful birds and their gilded cages, but I am sleepy and that will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dastardly Richard! He doesn't deserve her!

      Delete
    2. he doesn't deserve many things, I wonder if someone or something is going to do something about that...:)

      Delete
    3. Well, we can but hope...

      (Evil leer)

      Delete