Friday 18 March 2016

CLEANER II: Chapter Six - Part Five

DAHLIA

Melissa’s changing expressions were like the rippling surface of a pond in the rain, not remaining still and untouched for more than a second. Something in her posture had changed that was so subtle that I only took it in subliminally, but I recognised it all the same. The shift produced an instant alteration in my own demeanour that highlighted it. The renewed confidence I had experienced moments earlier dipped. My vision dimmed and became strangely monochromatic as though a sepia filter had been laid over it.

I became hyperaware again of my shape and the persona I wore. A part of me told me it was like a fat suit; a costume I had climbed into; but the logical segment of my mind that had been reawakened by this conversation reminded me that wasn’t so. This was no suit. I really was obese; tremendously obese. My hair wasn’t blond and curly anymore. It was straight. My eyesight had been ruined. I couldn’t see to read anymore without these thick glasses.

My confidence took another dip.

It seemed that Melissa picked up on my shift in body language as I had picked up on hers for she shifted again, straightening, losing the element she had regained over the last minute or two of cleaner in disguise, to become again the powerful woman I had seen her blossom into over the previous months.

She smiled at me reassuringly, perhaps a little condescendingly, then she said, “We have, both of us, come so far from where we started. So far that it’s difficult to imagine that we really were those people. I look so much now like you originally did I amaze myself every time I look in the mirror. It’s like you said; as though we’ve been enchanted.” She chuckled. “Like in those urban legends you hear in Barton back home.”

I gave a weak smile. We’d talked about those before. The yellow ghost of Nockton Vale. It was a popular local fairy tale.

“And you...” she said. “You look more like me than I did. It truly is astounding how much you’ve accomplished. When you told me about your secret wish I couldn’t believe it could come true. You wanted to experience what it was like to be me and you set out to do so. You changed your body so that it became a copy; albeit an imperfect copy; of mine. You allowed yourself to take on employment as a cleaner in your hotel; to make friends of people at your new... status. You made a connection with that fellow, the cook.”

I flushed.

“But my suggestion...” she said. “It’s just that I’ve been thinking a lot about what an amazing and determined woman you are and how much you’ve achieved and it makes me sorry to think about how I’ve ruined things for you.”

“Ruined things? How?”

“By keeping my actual life out of your reach. By keeping you here in this foreign realm of fantasies rather than letting you actually take my place back home.”

I stared at her. I couldn’t believe I was really hearing this. Her words were like stiletto blades sinking, without resistance, into my back in a line up my spine, one after another; but the blades didn’t hurt me. They were warm and almost, but not quite, pleasant. I could already see where she was going with this – of course I could; I’d fantasised about this very thing from the beginning – but to believe it was actually happening now was not possible.

Melissa paused for a long time, perhaps sensing I could detect her gist, then she smiled reassuringly again. “You’ve become so like me that you’re almost my double. You’ve taken on a job role, similar in some ways to my old one. And yes, we could end it now – sure we could. We could start the process of swapping back and become our true selves again. But really... if you think about it... there isn’t any hurry for that. We can go back to being ourselves any old time. What we can’t do... what will forever be out of our reach if we turn back now... is to play this out further; to take it to its limit; to experience these new lives even more fully than we already have... to go back to England in our new personas and slip into our new lives for real.”

I stared at her. The colour rose even brighter in my neck and cheeks – I could feel the heat of it – and with it, my arousal returned with a fierce intensity, much hotter than before, taking me onto an entirely different level of titillation. Sweat broke out above my hairline.

Was she serious? She couldn’t be! How could we ever pull it off?

I might be the same weight and shape as her – I might be wearing her clothes – but despite the similarities in our features, I could never really pass for her; not to someone she knew her well.

But just for a moment to imagine it as really happening! To live in her house. To live with her husband; sleep with him and pretend we’d been married for years. To do her work, cleaning the school and people’s houses. To be called Melissa by people who genuinely knew her. To be believed by all that I was really her.

To really become her.

Oh, but it could only be a fantasy.

I shook my head. “It isn’t possible. You know it isn’t. No one would believe it.”

She smiled at me with genuine pleasure and the insight I had to her thinking suddenly became acute. She hadn’t believed I would even entertain it for a second but here I was debating whether it would work as though she’d already persuaded me of the sense of it. Suddenly she’d found herself much further along on her path of persuasion than she’d expected and the surprise was a delight for her.

It made me question her motives in a way I hadn’t done so before; that eagerness; but then it was a terrific sacrifice for her; to give up her kind husband for an even longer period; to allow another woman to take her place at his side.

But I was coming to close to believing it again; to really entertaining the possibility of it; but that was stupid. It could never happen.

“It could happen. We could actually do it,” said Melissa. “We could become one another more than we ever thought possible.”

“How?”

She sat on the edge of the bed. “Plastic surgery,” she said.

“What? No way! That would be permanent!” Surely she wasn’t serious!

“Not permanent, no. Long term. I’ve looked into it. The procedure could be done and it could be done well. You could be made to look exactly like I used to. Exactly like it. I could be made to look the same as you.”

“... Exactly the same?”

She nodded. “Really. You could be Melissa for real. You could fool anybody. In England. You could live in my old house with Robert and be married. You could work as a cleaner for real – do all my old jobs.” She grinned, caught up in the verve of her excitement. “Just think about it. And then, when you were sick of that we could have another procedure; put our faces back how they are meant to be. It could last for as long or as short as you wanted. You would have total control.”

“Change back?” I said. “Whenever I wanted?”

“Yes.” She nodded. “Unless...”

“What?”

She chuckled. “Unless you decided you prefer my life to yours of course.” She laughed and I chuckled uneasily. Then the laughter died away.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“Deadly serious,” she replied. “”I’ve already looked into it fully. It can be done as soon as next week.”

“Next week!?”

She nodded again. “But only if you want to.”

I stepped away from her. I went to the balcony and looked down on the pool. My thoughts were flapping inefficiently like a wounded bird. This whole conversation was preposterous. But then so was my whole life now. So it had been for a long, long time.

“We can start changing back now if you want,” said Melissa. “We coiuld be back in England in a couple of days. I could go back to my life, newly slim, to impress the hell out of my husband. You can go back to your life in Summertop.”

Back to my empty house: an obese, four-eyed, ugly woman with no friends and no family.

No family.

“I’ve already booked us into a hotel in Thailand,” she said. “I’ve got the procedure set up ready if you want to go through with it.”

I turned to face her sharply.

The look of hope and expectation on her face faltered. She could see that she’d gone too far just as surely as I felt it.

It was too much. It was crazy. To really become another person – not pretending; to really turn into them! To have surgery to achieve that! It was truly preposterous. And it was dangerous.

I started to shake my head.

Melissa rose from the bed. “Look, just think about it, okay? Think about it.”

“What is there to think about?” I asked. “You know as well as I do that it can never happen. How stupid do you think I am?”

She looked utterly crestfallen but she nodded with resignation. “Okay. I understand.”

“I think we should finish this now,” I said, “not go on for two more weeks. I think it’s gone too far. We’ve both got confused about why we were doing this. We’ve both let our... fantasies run away with us.”

Melissa looked down at the floor without speaking.

I went to the door. I stood contemplating for a moment, wondering if it was somehow possible after all, then I said, “I’m going to go back to my hotel. I need to think.”

“Okay,” said Melissa. “I understand.”

I went through to the main room and opened the exit door. When I got there I felt a sudden imperative to stay; to entertain this ridiculous notion a while longer, even just as a fantasy. I felt so guilty for shutting her down like that. Melissa had been nothing but kind to me. I knew the sacrifices she was willing to make to make this dream come true for me more then even I had imagined possible. Maybe I questioned her motives a little too – she would be the one living in a mansion if we actually went through with it – but I still felt bad.

She appeared in the doorway behind me. I looked back at her and we made eye contact. She looked terribly, terribly sad.

“I’m sorry,” I said.

“Just think how amazing it could be,” she said.

I shook my head.

“Really becoming someone else.”

I lowered my chin, facing down. I stood that way for the bulk of a minute or more. Melissa said nothing. Then I raised my face again to look at her.

“I’ll think about it. That’s all I can say,” I said. “I’ll think about it.”





24 comments:

  1. Starting the day with a riveting episode was a treat! Thank you, Emma!

    What better way for Melissa to get what she wants than to let Dahlia think it's her choice. Dahlia didn't say 'No' and Melissa dangled the idea that Dahlia would have control and could switch back anytime she wanted, but I think Melissa has other plans.

    What will Dahlia do when she finds out what Robert is really like? Will she call it off? She seems to like being treated poorly. Perhaps Robert's abrasive character will play into her fantasy.

    Thanks again for a wonderful episode!

    --Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I'm enjoying writing this scene.

      Delete
  2. Very well written & exciting chapter. M has set the hook & lets see if the poor fish D will bite? Shame on Emma for dragging this out further to increase our susppence & agony! SHAme! I can't wait for more you fiemd!

    A minor quibble. since m has th9ught at least once she would rather kill herself rather than go back to herself she would perhaps consider kiling D in Greese/ Take her out on the balacony of her suite & one good shove & it would be all over. No one would question the death by sucide of 'Melissa chapman!' M could even write anote before hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story is more about Dahlia's obsession causing her downfall than Melissa becoming Dahlia Western.

      Dahlia wants to escape her life, but Dahlia Western cannot simply cease to exist. Enter Melissa. She is such a good 'friend' that she is willing to transform herself into a replacement Dahlia so that the real Dahlia can slip away and be free of the burdens that she perceives her own life to have.
      Melissa plans to take over Dahlia's life completely, we already know that, but Dahlia doesn't seem to recognize Melissa's dark intent.
      I think that there would be no sweeter victory for Melissa than to have Dahlia watch her living the life she gave up and be powerless to do anything to get it back.
      Simply killing off 'Melissa' would be too easy. Melissa enjoys the satisfaction of humiliating Dahlia and taking control.

      Just my two cents! :)
      --Robert

      Delete
    2. I agree that Melissa mustn't kill Dahlia. But the thought could cross her mind...

      Delete
    3. Oh, I totally agree that the thought would cross her mind. If she wants to take over Dahlia's life and identity, she has to find some way of relieving Dahlia of the last bit of control.

      But...we must wait for the masterful wordsmith to show us how Melissa will do just that. :)

      --Robert

      Delete
    4. "Masterful wordsmith..." I like the sound of that.

      Delete
  3. This really is an agonising tease :) Emma stretches out this current episode just to keep we 'Cleaner' fans chewing our finger nails to the quick.

    The upper hand keeps swapping between the two women. First Dahlia establishes that despite appearances she is still in charge and then Melissa counters with her suggestion of continuing the 'adventure' back in England. Financially, I guess the former Dahlia is still in control but Melissa is now the stronger personality and despite a few wobbles, seems to re-establishing her authority as the employer.

    Emma is handling this to and fro so well but being fed teaspoons of thrills when we really want (need) huge tureens of it is so frustrating. I know we should be grateful we're being led so well through the creative process but ...

    thanks, so much. May you continue to improve both in health and creativity. Both seem to be evident here.

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well when you can finally read it as a book, this detailed to and fro will feel more right. I know it's frustrating having the bite-sized chunks. But all things come to he who waits!

      Delete
    2. Of course I realise that and my 'complaint' isn't really serious. In fact you should regard it as a compliment to your excellent writing that's drawing us all in to the characters and their conflicts.

      It's wonderful that we've had 3 posts so quickly.

      Robyn H

      Delete
    3. Well "wonderful" is my middle name!

      Delete
  4. It is so interesting. There are so many possibilities that could be brought up. How would Dahlia hide back in England with her new body and look, the fear of someone recognizing her as she struggles to lose weight, regain her old class, dignity and behave like she once was. In another version of the story I could see Melissa setting her up as someone else, not Melissa or Dahlia while Melissa secures control and starts living Dahlia's old life just so no one asks any questions. Problem might be for Dahlia when she finds out she doesnt have the willpower and she's really a bit too much like Melissa any more to change back that maybe Melissa has hired on a cleaner to replace Dahlia and she has to work for others, diminishing the chances of her ever changing back and as months pass could she ever address Melissa as anything, but Dahlia? Thank you so much for your frenzy of writing lately! Its all been so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Maybe if I visit an alternate reality one day I will write that version.

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of letting Dahlia work for others in England...
    In the original "Cleaner", Dahlia became M`s subservient maid. We all know that. We also know that M seemed to enjoy this newfound power and was eager to boss her former employer around after the tables had turned.

    But in the new trilogy... wouldn`t it be wiser for M to get rid of the former D as soon as possible?
    Wouldn`t M make her leave Summertop and suppose to "clean" somewhere else so Katherine, Tommy etc would not become suspicious or even learn about the "swap"?

    I think that M needs to get D out of the way somehow to really take over D`s life effectively and irreversibly, get to her money, steal her friends and restart her career.
    Of course I understand that M needs D to believe of still being in control of the swap, at least in the beginning. But if M is really playing for keeps she ultimately needs to deprive D of all aspects of her former life, friends, career, money and...hope...

    Just a thought.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good thought... but if they do end up back in England wouldn't it be a shame to miss out on Melissa enjoying the comparison of their new lives. getting shot of Dahlia might be the sensible choice but it wouldn't be the most enjoyable...

      Delete
    2. It would be a shame!

      Dahlia still believes that Melissa is doing her a huge favor by participating in their fantasy. Once Melissa begins living in England as Dahlia Western, all she needs is to convince Dahlia that she she cannot live as Melissa Chapman unless she relinquishes every last thread of connection and control to her former life. I can see Melissa saying "You can have it back whenever you ask, I promise."
      Once Melissa has complete control, Dahlia will have no other choice but to be subservient to Melissa as she watches her live her new life as Dahlia Western.

      --Robert

      Delete
    3. I agree with Emma/ back in England M would not even think of not having D work for her, seeing the new D living her life,& now being treated like the low life cleaner she has become! M would take utter delight in seing poor D being treated badly by Katherine & Tommy & oteher friends & colleagues of D. To Glorify in her new life & let D slowly come to realize that she has lost everything, that she's gone to far to change back, that M has trapped her in this old life while M now becmes the beautiful, RICH model with a suceesful comback!
      nd please continue to get better, Emma.

      Delete
  6. Of course... The showdowns between M and D are the meat of the story. And I really don`t want to miss them. So it will be necessary to bring both women together regularly.

    I have to admit, though, that I am also really looking forward to see what further manipulations M has in store for D.
    Seeing Melissa scheming, watching her making D`s life worse and worse until the former supermodel is so stucked in a downward spiral that all hope of ever getting her life back is lost, is as much a part of the story for me as Dahlia`s flight from the burdens of a privileged existence.

    For winning their "battle of wills", I think that M needs to sever all remaining threads that may serve Dahlia as a sort of anchor to this former existence. As long as the whole idea of "swapping" arouses D, she might be careless and susceptible to M`s manipulations. Dahlia will only know and realize what really happened to her when the swap no longer "stimulates" or "arouses" her. Only if that last thread is cut by Melissa and the swap`s sexual component is taken away from D, the former supermodel will learn, realize and experience first-hand what humiliation really means.
    That state of "enlightenment" might need a separation from Melissa and D`s former surroundings, though. I doubt that D would much enjoy a lifelong existence scrubbing floors somewhere else or living in poverty as a maid for some third party, especially when thinking about what she once had and how stupid she was in letting it go... That`s what I wanted to say.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  7. temptation tastes very sweet indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last sentence in a quiet way proves just had mad Dehlia is. ""I'll think about it.'
    To have plastic S to turn herself into a desperately poor woman & let that other woman have your wonderful life. How utterly mad is that? Soemthign is going on in D we have only hints at. A previous nervous breakdown, her guilt over her brother's & parents death. & most likely something else deep with inher soul.

    ReplyDelete