Saturday 5 December 2015

CLEANER II: Chapter Five - Part Eleven

MELISSA


The call to Tommy didn’t go through immediately. There was an extended delay of silence as my phone reached out across the curvature of the world and tried to find his.

I stood. I walked toward the balcony. The double doors were open. I could see sky and a sliver of horizon. I turned my back on it. The phone started to ring. I changed hands from one to the other. I sat down.

It rang on and on. Tommy didn’t pick up. Physical tension crept into my shoulders and down my arms. I changed hands on the phone again.

He picked up.

“Dahlia? Is that you?”

I held my breath. My lips opened and my tongue rolled forward ready. I said nothing.

“Dahlia? Hello? You there?”

I made a funnel with my lips. I couldn’t make myself reply. There wasn’t a chance he would believe I was her. This was all about to come crashing down around me. He would expose me for a fraud and both he and Katherine would charge over here to denounce my manipulations. They would find Dahlia and do everything they could to destroy me. They would convince her to sue me for ruining her life; for trying to steal it. I would be ruined. I’d end up just as fat as I ever was, penniless and alone; without even Robert to look after me. I would end up far worse than I had ever started.

“Yes,” I said. “It’s me.”

“Jesus,” said Tommy. “Thank God you’ve called at last, We’ve been worried as fuck. It was like you dropped off the face of the world. Where have you been?”

“I’ve been—” I stopped. My voice wasn’t like hers in the least. It was my old voice – my real voice. I cleared my throat. “I’ve er...” I cleared it again.

“Are you okay?” He paused and said the next words tentatively. “You don’t sound yourself.”

I swallowed, my throat tightening and drying. I had to end the call. This wasn’t going to work. I was going to ruin everything.

“Dahlia? You there?”

I closed my eyes. I had to get a hold of myself. I tried to reason with my chaotic mind; to draw it under control.

Breathe, I told myself. Breathe.

“Dahlia?”

“I’m here,” I said. “Sorry.”

The voice was perfect now; as good as I’d ever managed to do it. I sounded exactly like her. I smiled, a new confidence settling over me.

“I was just distracted for a minute. I’m fine now.”

“Where are you?” asked Tommy. “Katherine’s been trying to find you. She’s worried sick. What happened? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine Tommy,” I replied. “I’m much better now. I’m sorry I haven’t been in contact. I... needed some time to myself, to get my head straight. Everything just... got on top of me. That’s all. My... uh... My brother’s death. The pressure of going back to work. You know.”

Tommy went silent.

“I’m in Greece at the moment.”

“Greece? Where are you staying? I know Katherine will want to get in touch.”

“I’m... not quite ready for that yet,” I said.

“Oh, uh, okay.” Tommy was uncertain; treading lightly. He was aware of how screwed up the real Dahlia had been when she left the country and he had to have concluded how uncharacteristic it was for her to break all contact for several months with those closest to her. He must have been treading very carefully. “No problem. I understand. Do you want me to keep it quiet that you got in touch?”

I considered this. “Yes. For now. Is that okay?”

“Sure. No problem.”

He had accepted I was really her. There was no doubt. I got another swell of confidence that this crazy scheme really could succeed, even face to face.

“Will you be coming back to England sometime soon?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said. “It won’t be too long now. But not quite yet. I’m... Before I come back I’m getting a little work done... to my face.”

“What? You don’t need that. You’re beautiful as you are.”

“That’s nice of you to say Tommy, but it’s all booked in. I’m doing it. And that’s why I was calling.”

“Uh, what did you gave in mind?”

“I know I let you down before about my... my comeback... but there were things going on at the time, what with my brother’s—”

“Don’t worry about that. It’s all just water under the bridge. Seriously. Forget about it. It wasn’t a problem.”

I knew he was being kind; that it had been a problem; Dahlia had told me enough about her life for me to understand that.

“I want to thank you for everything you did,” I said, “and I want to ask you a big favour.”

“Anything sweetheart.”

“I want you to set it up again. I want you to organise another comeback for me.”

He hesitated. “Dahlia... sweetie... Are you sure you’re ready for that? After the last time?”

“I’m sure,” I said. “I’ve had a lot of time to get my head straight and think about what I want.”

I pictured the real Dahlia on a magazine cover looking like a beautiful princess. I pictured her walking the catwalk and acting on the big screen.

“I assure you Tommy. I want that life more than anything you can possibly imagine, and I’m willing to do anything to get it. You don’t have to worry about me.”









7 comments:

  1. Good to see you back writing. I hope you're feeling better and more like your your old self. An illness or an injury can take more getting over than we like to admit so take it gently.

    Anyway, it looks like Melissa is making the moves to displace Dahlia completely. She's got over the first hurdle by convincing Tommy she's Dahlia. That's only over the phone but it means her voice practice has paid off. Her ruse to have some plastic surgery willl explain any differences in face to face contacts - perhaps. But was is she planning for poor Dahlia? And will Dahlia allow herself to be changed more permanantly?

    thank you and take care.

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific chapter. I like the way you added some suspence by M starti ng to freak out & lose confidence on the phone. Then she starts to jump right in with evenwanting to restart HER comback. Boy is the real D being boxed in. & of course Tommy is treading carefully knowing how the former Dahlia was acting in England. You handled the getting Plastic Surgery well & he bought it. Also, them not rushing down to Greece as she wasn't ready yet. NIce touch with pictures in her miind about D on magazine cover & on the movie screne.
    I wonder whagt kind of triumphant homecoing the new D will have & with probably the new M looking on. BRRRRR!
    I can't wait for the next chapter. Thanks for continuing to write, Emma.
    I hope you're continuing to improer & feeling better. Thats the important thing.
    All the best,

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. Welcome back. I love how tentative she is. It's organic but it must read to Tommy like same old unsure of herself Dahlia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Glad to see you are back. Now getting Dahlia on board may be the challenging bit plot-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great chapter! Melissa's confidence got a boost by having Tommy accept her as the real Dahlia. The tension when she first talked to Tommy was great! I knew she could pull it off! The 'having work done' will definitely set the expectation that 'Dahlia' will look a bit different. I like it! Melissa will breathe a sigh of relief I'm sure once she knows that she is accepted as 'Dahlia' in a face to face meeting. She'll have to keep practicing the voice until her 'Dahlia' voice comes more naturally than her 'old' voice so she doesn't have to think about it. I chalk it up to nerves! :)

    I know Melissa can do it!

    So glad to see you're feeling well enough to write! :)

    --Robert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some more thoughts. First & foremost I'd love to hear more of how you're doing. You obvious went through a very bad time.

    Second, I again want to say what a power pack chapter its fairly bristles with energy & power - especially the last part. God does M want to be D, to - as she has said, have EVERYTHING that D had.

    “I’m sure,” I said. “I’ve had a lot of time to get my head straight and think about what I want.”

    I pictured the real Dahlia on a magazine cover looking like a beautiful princess. I pictured her walking the catwalk and acting on the big screen.

    “I assure you Tommy. I want that life more than anything you can possibly imagine, and I’m willing to do anything to get it. You don’t have to worry about me.”

    That says its all & she'd going to need that commitment to acually be Dahlia in both public & private moments, God, how the former D will feel watching the former Melissa steal her life! ( An outside thought, I wonder if the new D will get more film parts being a better actress?)
    Now the question, I guess for the thrid book will be can M BE Dahlia, not only in looks but in personality? The original D obviously
    was a person people liked & was kind hearted &charming. Can M submerge her own rather unplesant personality & become Dahlia? also can she leave as she has done in Greese her obvious feelings of inferiority behind for good/? That part I think she can do - a;ready has done to a a large event, but can she adopt D's persona enough to be able to be her over years? Well I guess Emma;s part 3 will let us know.
    Alo, I can't help feel deeply for poor orgrinal D, she didn't dereve what
    already has happened & what is going to happen to her even though she atretd the process willingly. Poor D is & was not in her right mind. Will she give up or fight back? Will she make a better M than the original? Will she hate or admire the new D? I for one can't wait to see the eonculsion. But we will have to - I estimate it will be at least a yea before Emma can finish the third book.

    Anyway get better, Emma

    Eric

    ReplyDelete