Sunday 3 April 2016

CLEANER II: Chapter Six - Part Nine

MELISSA

I shut off the cross trainer and climbed down, grabbing my towel to wipe my brow, and took a swig of my drink. I had pearls of sweat on my chest and back; on my arms; but I didn’t feel tired, despite the length of my workout. If anything I felt energised.

A slow clapping came from behind me and I turned to see Ambrus, my personal trainer, smiling; stepping forward from the mirrored wall where he’d been leaning. “You’ve done terrifically well Dahlia,” he said. “Outstanding.”

I grinned, feeling so pleased. “Do you think so?”

“Of course.” He came level. “Just look at you. Look at how far you’ve come since our first meeting. You were a little on the flabby side, you would have to agree, and although I could see the first glimmer of willpower shining, I could also see a woman who craved food in large quantities. Where is that woman now?”

I thought of the real Dahlia and smirked a little, then I said. “She’s long gone. Gone forever I hope.”

“I know it’s forever,” he said. “Come.”

We walked to the doors leading out onto the hotel poolside from the first rate exercise room and went out into the sunshine.

“You made it clear what your objectives were when we first spoke,” he said. He chuckled. “I asked you how much weight you wanted to lose. Do you remember what you said to me?”

I chuckled too. “All of it.”

“Exactly. And now look at you. You said you wanted to be slim. You’ve achieved that. You’re probably more athletic than most women in the world. You’ve done this over a substantially long period, making it more than likely that you’ve broken your old habits and you’ve built up the kind of metabolism that is really going to help you staying the shape you want to be.”

I didn’t know what to say. This was everything I had wanted. He might have been confirming things I had already seen with my own eyes, but hearing his congratulations and... approval meant the world to me. “I’m just so grateful for your help,” I said.

“No.” He shook his head. “No. It wasn’t me. It was you. I merely provided minimalist encouragement.”

I thought about the early morning jogs along the beach with him bellowing in my ear but decided not to say anything.

“But it’s clear to me that you don’t need me anymore,” he said.

“What? Really?” I didn’t like the idea of that.

“You’ve grown into a strong, slim, beautiful woman with a will of iron. All I am now is a crutch. You need to cast that crutch aside and walk forward as strong and assured as I know you are.”

“Well...” I thought about it. If all went to plan I would be leaving soon anyway. “Okay, I guess. But I’m going to miss you.”

“I’ll be around,” he said. “I have other clients here and at neighbouring hotels. In fact... I need to go. I’m meeting one shortly.”

“Oh. Okay. Right.” I extended my hand. “I’ll never forget what you’ve done for me. Thank you.”

“It was my pleasure.” He took my hand and shook it.

“And, uh, now that we aren’t working together anymore... What do you say to that dinner invitation of mine? I’d love to get to know you better.” I smiled seductively. “And I’d love to let you get a closer look at the body you helped create.”

He held my look for a moment and then released my hand with a smile, saying, “As I said before, I’m very flattered, but I will have to decline.”

I frowned. “But... Before you said it was because you were my trainer. There’s nothing stopping us anymore. We could have dinner tonight and then drinks afterwards, maybe a little dancing; then later on we could go up to my penthouse room and...” I gave a broad and suggestive smile. “... get up to foul play.”

He looked uncomfortable. Then he gave a brief smile. Then he looked uncomfortable again; almost pained. “I really must decline,” he said. “But I’m very grateful for the offer.”

“Why must you decline?” I asked, my temper rising a little. He’d always been very kind to me. He’d always laughed at my jokes and seemed to enjoy my company.

He squirmed. “Perhaps it is better if we do not discuss this further,” he said. He clearly wasn’t going to change his mind.

“No. Hang on,” I said. “I really want to know. Don’t you find me attractive?”

He held up his hands. “No. Please. You are a very beautiful woman now.”

“Now? Oh, is that it? Is it because I was fat before? You knew me as a tub of lard and now you couldn’t bear to be with me; is that it?”

“No. Not at all.”

“Then why not?” I demanded. “Why won’t you come to dinner? Or drinks? Why won’t you fuck me?”

He glanced round to see who was listening which made me even angrier and then blushed red. “Please Dahlia,” he said. “I’d really rather not say.”

“Tell me,” I said. “Please. Look, I’m sorry I got shitty with you. I’m really... I just want to know. Why won’t you... spend time with me now the training is done?”

His face darkened more. He was clearly going through some internal decision-making process. “Because...” He shrugged apologetically. “I’m... You aren’t...” He looked away and looked back at me. He lowered his head and then looked me in the eye. “The truth is, it is nothing to do with you being overweight before. I think you are very pretty now. I simply cannot be with a woman who is... not nice.”

I was disarmed. I said nothing at first. “What? Not... nice?”

“I’m sorry to say it,” he replied. “I would have preferred not to. But I have known you for a long time now. I have observed you in many situations; speaking to the staff here; flirting with all your men...”

My own cheeks coloured red.

“I cannot come to dinner with you, or... sleep with you... because I cannot do that with someone I... don’t like. I’m truly sorry.”

He gave a curt bow and withdrew.

I stood there staring after him, flabbergasted. I couldn’t believe it.

But part of me... Part of me had known all along that this was the reason he had politely avoided my flirtations. Part of me knew, because part of me knew that no matter how much I made myself slim or come to look like Dahlia, I would never truly be her. I never could be. Because deep down I was cut from different cloth. I was too bitter. He was right. I hated other people more often than I didn’t. I hated almost everyone.

I straightened, wiping the corner of my eye, then put my sunglasses on so no one could see the moistness that was developing there.

How could I go back to England and pretend to be Dahlia? Pretend to be a charismatic, personable, kind woman? And she was kind. I knew that too deep down; no matter what I’d thought of her when I worked as her cleaner. That was the bitterness talking too. She was a good woman who cared about other people; someone innocent enough and trusting enough to believe someone like me was after her best interests.

The tear streams trickled away from my eyes and then silently started to thicken.

This whole plan was doomed. Why hadn’t I accepted it before? I could never pull it off. Anyone who knew the real Dahlia would see straight through me, and anyone who knew of her reputation would not believe someone of my character was a duplicate.

I put my head in my hands, sitting down, elbows resting on my bare knees.

It was over. Or as good as. There was no point taking it any further. It was time I accepted defeat and gave up.

At least I’d become slim – if I could keep it off. There was that. At least I’d had this long, free holiday.

The life theft wasn’t going to work. I should call Dahlia and tell her to forget about the surgery. All that would lead to would be exposure, public disgrace and shame.

I wasn’t a nice person. I shouldn’t have needed Ambrus to tell me that.

But...

I raised my head. I let my hands fall away. I looked out across the pool to the palm trees beyond. And my tears slowly stopped and then started to dry.

Because a crisis of conscience or determination didn’t suit me. Was I really going to throw this opportunity away because it might not work? Because I thought people might people might find out?

No. Fuck that.

Fuck that.

I would rather die than give up now.

I had nothing else waiting for me that was worth a damn. I had only a horrible life awaiting me.

This gambit was my only choice; my only chance. I knew I would rather die – literally die – than give it up.

I stood up. I folded my arms. I unfolded them and then looked toward the front of the hotel.

I was sick of waiting for Dahlia to think about it. I was sick of leaving her with the initiative. She didn’t have the motherfucking power anymore – I did – and I was going to use it.

This was going to come to a head... right now. No more waiting. One way or the other this day would see the conclusion of the conundrum. Were we going to do it? Were we going to swap our lives FOR REAL?

And I wasn’t going to leave it to chance.

Screw Ambrus if he didn’t want me! I didn’t want him, the swarthy bastard! I could get any man I wanted.

Almost any man.

I started walking toward the hotel doorway to go and get changed and order a taxi.

By the end of the day I would know, one way or another.

Either we would be planning our trip to Thailand or we would be packing to go back home. I didn’t know for sure which way it would go but I was sure as hell going to fight for what I wanted.





41 comments:

  1. WOW! what a chapter! Super Interesting & great to see M acting directingly instead of slyly! And her trainer telling her she was not a nice person, which she has to admitt is true. She plans on stealing D’s life which lets face it is evil. But D is a nice kind person.
    I guess M even with all the recent luxury & admiration is still bitter, though if & WHEN she becomes D she might be able to fake kindness - at least enough. And if & when they go back as each other can this change be explained away by her nervous break down in which she ran away. I wonder if eventually if & WHEN they swap will D become a bitter, evil woman like M since she's had her life stolen - or will she take it as a sign that she needs to be better? Another intertesting twist either way, either other becoming more like M or a kinder gentler person. And will M if she successful stealing D’s life will she change for the better come more like D & kinder? Maybe but I can not see her being kind to D.
    I lust for the up coming meeting between D & M. How will it go - D is certainly feeling super low. Will she become compliant? Will she give in & accept her horrible fate as her due, as what else fate could possibly be hers now! What other choice will M give her?

    I hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Fireworks are coming. I like how this chapter panned out. It worked better than I was hoping. Melissa isn't a diabolical master villain - but she'd like to be!

      Delete
  2. Glad you're feeling better Ms Finn. You certainly LOOK better but I wouldn't go out in the cold wearing that dress - at least not with your chest :)

    Hmmm, so someone's told Melissa just what a nasty piece of work she really is. That shook her for about 5 minutes then she came out fighting for Dahlia's life just as determined as ever - perhaps even more so. I think the snub may act to persuade her to order Dahlia onto the plane for Thailand as her employer.

    I'd say this was an excellent chapter segment but it would be pointless because they all are :)

    Thanks

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. Thanks Robyn. I try to push the boat out on Cleaner.

      I am feeling better. I've had an infection and some issues with my liver but it's looking up for now.

      Delete
  3. So happy you're feeling better!! :)

    What a slap in the face for Melissa and a wake-up call indeed. I think that this incident may have made her realize that being Dahlia Western is more than just looking like her. She's had the willpower to change her eating and exercise habits and sculpt herself a new body, but...can she sculpt a new 'inner' self in Dahlia's image as well? That may prove more difficult that she imagines, but she is a determined woman.

    That tiny but tantalizing clue makes me wonder if the client that Ambrus is 'meeting shortly' is Dahlia herself?

    --Robert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh. Sadly not, though that would be funny.

      Yeah, I think Melissa needed a good slap. We'll be seeing more of Ambrus in the extended novel when it's released and after the much longer build-up this rejection should feel more of a slap. Melissa has kidded herself that she's queen of the world. Maybe it's time that she learned that she isn't...

      Delete
    2. I think it makes Melissa realize how much more she must do to achieve her goal of taking over Dahlia's life. Being Dahlia Western entails much more that just looking like her and I think now Melissa is realizing just that.

      Can she lose the bitterness like she lost the weight?

      It seems she has a huge battle ahead of her, not only with Dahlia, but with herself and I dare say the same is true for Dahlia.

      Can't wait to see how this all unfolds! :)

      --Robert

      Delete
    3. You're right there. Both women have challenges ahead.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm! The plot thickens. And how about the insight into Milissa's true character? Nobody can do characterazation like Emma Finn. Nobody! I can hardly wait to buy this book. I'm Finnatic









    Hmmm! Teplot


































    Hmmm! The plot thickens. And how about that insight into Melissa's true character? Nobody can do characterazation like Emma Finn. Nobody! I can't wait to buy this book. I'm Finnatic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. Thickening plot? That sounds like a recipe. Add a stock cube and stir until the plot thickens.

      I wonder what the stock cube was here...

      Delete
  5. its interesting. as much bitterness as she always had, Melissa never had self doubt. she is becoming more like Dahlia every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self doubt's a funny thing, isn't it? See, on the contrary, I see Melissa's self confidence as being quite fragile. She just has an awful lot of reasons lately for it to be bolstered. What will happen when it gets a real challenge?

      Delete
    2. Funny I've never thought of Dahlia being a kind or a particularly nice person but never as manipulative as Melissa.

      Delete
    3. Melissa's view of her was coloured by her bitterness. I guess there haven't been scenes were her niceness was established. Perhaps there should be.

      Delete
  6. It's about time someone told Melissa a few home truths, another great chapter. I hope that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some additional thoughts and observations.
    I oved the omment by the trainer that he is sure that 'Dhalia' will never go back to being fat as her metabolism has changed too much. On m's character well -
    I did mention in another comment that M was far too promiscuous and slutty and it may cause major problems later as D certainly wasn’t. Maybe she got a much needed wake up call on being Dahlia! The trainer obvious has observed her with other women’s husband or BFs and maybe even treating the hotel staff badly. But M is nothing is not detirmed & desperate. She needs to use the info given her by the foolish D to submerge her self in D’s persona more. She can do it she has done it already at the time when the real D was watching M charming and interacting with her fellow guests dazzling everyone and later at the bar being charming and relating the original D’s memories of life on the runway. Even D thinks she is more me than even I’ve been in some time, charming and glamorous and great at interacting
    But still this may cause major problems for M in trying to live D’s life if she lets slip her real inter character or bitterness and nastiness and sluttiness . It may even get her exposed, but only the evil Emma knows for sure. Or even she may channel D so much that she loses her former self & actually becomes D?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I think Melissa may find things to be harder than she supposes.

      Delete
  8. In what way bullying or persading Dahlia to swap or living D's life or both, you cunning, cunning fiend!

    PS continue to get better

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder why everyone thinks that kindness suddenly is a necessary trait of character for celebrity models.

    Also...is it not possible that a benevolent and kind person becomes haughty and bitchy because of all that fame and adulation going to her head?

    When you are swimming with the sharks (and the supermodel industry seems to be a habitat that includes several of them), wouldn`t it be wise to behave like one as well?

    I really don`t think that M must learn to be "nice" to stage a successful comeback as Dahlia Western. As long as M has enough self-confidence and prepares some moves for the few possible obstacles that might arise(e.g. a suspicious Katherine), I don`t see why haughtiness and a more slutty attitude alone should thwart her plans.
    She wouldn`t be the first celebrity model behaving in such a way...

    marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It's more a case of acting differently to people who know the former Dahlia and exposing herself somehow.

      Delete
  10. I just had a thought. I think M should make or talk D into getting a tatooe somewhere, that would make it harder forher to claim to be the real D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I ordinarily like tattoos in these stories but don't think it would fit.

      Delete
    2. Imagine if you will...
      Melissa is back in England living in Dahlia's home, wearing her clothes, reviving her modeling career, spending time with her friends completely uncontested for months. Then along comes this woman claiming to be the real Dahlia.
      I would think it would take a lot more than a tattoo or any superficial mark to prove (or disprove) that she was the one born as Dahlia Western. First and foremost, someone would have cause to doubt the woman living Dahlia's life in order to begin to believe her.

      I think it's going to prove harder than both women think to live completely as each other. I can only imagine the difficulty in 'unlearning' who you are to become someone else especially with the issues these two have!

      Just tossing in my two cents. (or two pence) :)

      --Robert

      Delete
    3. I think you may be right.

      Delete
  11. I agree with that its going to be difficultt to unearn who you are& becoming someone else. But don't forget M has been trying to do that & to get D to do it early on - telling each others the inner most secrets, learning their pasts so you can make them your own, & practing each other's voice & speechng it until it is your own. D at least once says M word useage is more natural to her than her own, it ws her own.
    As for as Identity proof the easiest & best way is with DNA testing, but I doubt if Emma would resort to it in her story.
    she's too evil for that. Heh, heh/ heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read the original story there is a hint that I was considering something fingerprint related in the early chapters but I didn't pursue it as the story continued. It doesn't interest me really.

      It's about the effect on the characters and how they feel about it. That's where the magic is for me.

      Delete
    2. The new Dahlia (Melissa) with all her money and the time since she doesn't have to work at a grueling job at cleaning can perhaps explore the darker corners of the internet and find a hacker underground where for enough money a skilled but dishonest programmer can hack into the government's computers where the digital record of Dahlia's and Melissa's fingerprints can be switched (ditto their DNA records). Modern information technology has changed record keeping from paper form in file cabinets to digital form in computer memory banks.

      Delete
    3. Not so sure how it works in other parts of the world, but in most places unless you've been arrested or had some medical condition that required DNA testing, the government doesn't have you on file.
      Hacking computer systems isn't as easy as Hollywood makes it out to be. To 'hack' AES-256bit encryption (very common today) by brute force would take about 13.1 billion years.

      Besides, it's the psychological battle that Emma has hooked me with. Can these women overcome their own internal demons and transform themselves enough to convincingly live each others' lives?

      Emma has masterfully explored what these characters are struggling with as they try to become someone they are not.

      --Robert

      Delete
  12. An excellent chapter if and when they get their surgery and go back to England we must not forget where they live Nockton Vale and everybody knows what can happen in Nockton

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. Yeah. But I think my readers would eat me alive if I brought a magical transformation into it at this late stage.

      Delete
    2. Who said anything about magic but didn't a certain mellisa find a certain artifact while cleaning

      Rob

      Delete
    3. I just checked she found a ring hidden in a box at Mrs Stanwicks which she tried on and fit her which she then nicked and pawned

      Rob

      Delete
    4. I'm sure I have no idea what you mean!

      (Sniggers)

      I couldn't resist that.

      Delete
    5. I must of read about it in another story somewhere by a certain very talented writer who shall remain nameless

      Rob

      Delete
  13. You're right, & I wont persue it, but I wonder if where they live has influenced poor D? Its certainly an ironic counter point. I can't wait formore & also for the completed novel. I am going with eating to buy it when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating seems appropriate considering the subject matter.

      Delete
  14. I meant without eating!
    Bye the way I wager that M will go to D hovel dressed to the nines! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just get well soon.

    hugs if you need 'em :)

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete