Friday 12 February 2016

So Why Aren't I Writing????

Well I thought it was high time that I told you guys what is going on and why I've not been able to reliably put out story episodes...

It's a grisly tale but one with a happy ending so stay tuned...

So last October I was doing well putting out episodes every three days and writing a new book every month. Then I started getting kind of sick. Cut a long story short, it turned out I had a blockage in my large intestine as big as an apple.

Cancer.

I needed emergency surgery right away and suddenly life didn't look too promising.

I had the surgery to save my life and remove the blockage but the cancer was still there lurking. Worse, it had crept onto my liver. The prognosis was pretty bleak and it didn't look like I had a lot of time left.

I started chemotherapy and started to undergo a series of punishing cycles riddled with weariness and awful side-effects. The surgery recovery plus the chemo smackdowns have been why I haven't been writing reliably.

Writing's one of those things you need to keep the momentum going on so it's been hard only have odd days of feeling well to get back into things. Having said that I've been determined to, hence the sporadic releases and the publishing of my plays (which have been waiting to be published for years).

So things were looking very bleak and it didn't look like I had that long.

That is until the other day.

(Grins)

I had a CT scan that indicated that my body was responding exceptionally well to the chemo. The cancer in my bowel had been cut away already but the spots on my liver were disappearing remarkably well! My prognosis went from a solemn shake of the head to a rather more pleasant chat about likely long term survival. It's now looking like I've kicked this thing's ass and now just need to do the final clean-up.

So I'm having one last batch of chemo then in a few weeks I'm going into surgery to have the dark matter cut out of my liver. After that It'll be a case of monitoring me to check things aren't coming back but I should be pretty much cured!

(Yippee!)

Thank God for that. Literally.

Now as far as you guys are concerned, there will continue to be some disruption for a while longer. I'll produce episodes when I can but there may be weeks here and there where I just can't manage it. Don't despair though, I've kicked its ass already. Once I'm done ripping the last dregs out of me I'm going to get back to writing with all my usual verve.


20 comments:

  1. The important thing is your health and your family, I'm sure that there will be many such sentiments expressed but get well soon and yes, thank God or whom ever looks over us xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,
    Thank you for your candid explanation of your "interruptions", I`m sure many of your worried fans wondered what the problem was but, like me, were afraid to ask.
    More importantly thank you for the great news concerning your prognosis, I`m happy that things are looking good for you.
    Take your time, we`ll all be thinking of you.
    BillA.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you've had such a torrid time but delighted that you seem to be responding to treatment. Not from personal experience but from friends who've had chemo I know that sometimes the cure can seem to be worse than the disease even though in the long term it really isn't.

    Thanks for your honest and frank explanation. It can't be easy to do that but I think there may be people reading it who will take heart that even in the darkness a litte light appears. May you continue to improve.

    Robyn H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it rains look for rainbows. When it's dark look for stars.

      Your support has filled my sky with stars.

      Delete
  4. WOW! Amazing recovery! Sorry to hear you had to go through all that! But Amazing is the word of your miracles recovery! Continue to improve you owe not only to yourself but to your fans and admirers.
    I will prey your your continued health. to quote Mr Spock "LIc=ve Long and Prosper".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Emma, what is even more remarkable than you recovery is your insistance to "explain yourself" to your readers. That tells me volumes about the kind of person you are and all I can say is that I wish I had your bravery not to mention your phenomenal devotion to the craft. I am looking forward to your triumphant return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, as the saying goes: From the bitterness of disease you learn the sweetness of health.
    I hope there`ll be always a sparkling canopy of stars in the darkness for you, granting hope and working miracles.
    I`m really wishing you the best, Emma.

    marc



    marc

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been through an extraordinary experience, and your health is the most important thing of all, and that has taken some guts to open up to the big wide unknown world with it.

    You are a very gifted writer and I suspect some of what you have been through, in the sense of understanding the emotions of your characters if nothing else, will find its way into your words. Well you can see that you have a fan base here who firstly admire your literary output but more importantly want to see you well and happy. Best wishes with the recovery process!

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  8. leave dark in your novel, keep bright in your life! best wish to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God that you are getting better l will continue to pray for you and your family and your speedy recovery write when you are up to writing keep on getting better and do not loose faith in your speedy recovery

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been a long time reader, and I have done so with both admiration and appreciation. You are extraordinarily talented at your chosen genre. However, as much as I have enjoyed your delightfully twisted tales (and ardently hope for there continuation), after your disclosure, I, your faithful reader, would very contentedly go without if it meant you could live a long, happy life. So please take care of yourself and know that your health is infinitely more valuable than the pleasure you help to create for us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful that you're responding so well. Im really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emma,

    Great news. I knew (obviously) that something was going on but its good to hear that you're doing well and are on the road to recovery! Write when you can, you have people you care about you and are interested in your work.

    Cheers
    Zapper

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emma,
    YOU are the pot o'gold at the end of the rainbow. So happy to see you came out of this horrible illness victorious!

    So glad you're doing well!

    --Robert

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not really sure what to say. This is one of those things it is truly impossible to empathise with until it happens to you. Needless to say I will be rooting for you to get over the last of this terrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Emma,
    Splendid news! Congratulations for your amazing recovery. I will pray for you and wish you all the best.
    Richard
    Marl/Germany

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can say nothing other than...blessed be.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our prayers are with you. Godspeed Emma Finn, greatest transformation author on the internet. I'm Finnatic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for your support everyone! It means so much to me.

    I'm getting better and better and hope to get back on that horse again in the very near future.

    Especially with compliments like these!

    ReplyDelete